WTB 8-Track Radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTB 8-Track Radio

The 86 has the base AM-FM. I was thinking since I'm changing it I'd like to see if I can find a factory 8-Track deck.

From looking at brochures, it looks like 84 was the first year the 8-Track wasn't shown or mentioned as an option.

Anyone have one they'd part with?

Thanks.

You'd need the proper trim panel for it. I know the old 2 shaft models were taller than the later base / cassette radio. I've never seen one of the electronic 8 tracks in a Ford. The ones in Lincolns are fairly massive though. All Towncars actually have an adapter plate under the trim to convert from the 8 track stereo cutout to a standard single DIN size radio.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the info. Both those photos are from the Ford CV brochures. But yeah I could see the Merc buyer being more willing to spend the $$ on the electronic stereo upgrades.

Comment

You would be my friggin' hero if you put an 8-track in your car. That is badass.

Comment

I remember the electronic am/fm/8 track in a Crown Vic. new. That was the most expensive stereo available from Ford. About $500. My Lincoln Versailles had one and sounded very good. I think that was standard on that car.
          The prices of a good used 8 tracks are pretty high now. Even untested junk is selling high. In my opinion, you would be better off with a stock am/fm stereo. Make sure it has the orange lighted dot on the right side of the dial. Mono radios were also available. Some people like them, I don't.
          I will check my stock, If I have a 8 track, I will let you know.

Comment

Thanks Tom!

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
              My Lincoln Versailles had one and sounded very good. I think that was standard on that car.
              I just realized Versailles I saw at the JY before Christmas probably had one, I didn’t think to look at stereos then.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdofprey View Post
                I just realized Versailles I saw at the JY before Christmas probably had one, I didn’t think to look at stereos then.
                Go check it out. It more than likely is in good shape. If you are into Ebay, there is a market for those Versailles parts in excellent condition. I can tell you what parts are in demand.
                You need to buy them right, like half price sale at the jy though.
                Last edited by Mainemantom; 03-10-2018, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately that row was crushed in January.

Comment

Birdofprey, I checked my stock and I do not have any 8 tracks anymore. I have a bunch of others which I will list in the for sale section.

Comment

Thank you for looking.

Comment

I picked up a 2 post one like this. The digital quadrasonic one is neat looking but with having the analog clock I think the 2 post one will match the look a little better. Plus I know I finding the correct bezel for the 2 post will be 1000% easier than finding the special one for the tall Quadrasonic 8-Track and in the CV wood grain pattern.

Tom, you're right about how nuts the price is for untested ones.

Comment

Make sure the channel selector buttons work smoothly. They get stuck or when pushed in the dial does not move. That would mean having it cleaned or refurbished. More $$.
                          Is the one you got a genuine Ford labeled unit ? Many of these were sold as dealer add ons and made by different makers. Some Motorola (same as the Ford unit) or SAS or ? Whatever the dealer could make the most money on. I remember the displays on the show room floor.
                          Are the knobs nice with the chrome not flaking off ?

Comment

I got this one, I’m sure it’s a dealer one. I don’t think it’s as old as the seller thought (which is good)

The fact he included a testing video is what sold me on it. So many $150-$250 stereos on there that say “untested as is” forget that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Factory-For...-/372236615270

Comment

A Clarion. Made is Japan is good.Those are 1970s connectors.Radio is about 1973 vintage. Pricey however you know it works well.
                              Last edited by Mainemantom; 03-12-2018, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X