No announcement yet.

Car dying, egr filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Town Car has died on me ONCE after restarting on a hot day. Ash and I made it to FLA and stopped at gas station after driving the thing nonstop some 300 miles. Filled up, topped the oil off and went to start the engine. Fired up, IAC began to close fast, idled real low and died. Usually it'll idle real low but then pops right back. No surge though.

Although, I don't know how you cleaned the TB with the engine running. To do a thorough job on any I've cleaned I've had to have the thing open all the way... You want to get all that schmoo behind & around the blade gone. You also want to take the stepper motor off the IAC and verify that the pintle(?) moves freely and doesn't hang up on anything or that there isn't any build up on it. Lube it a bit with ATF or chain lube and do the same for the stepper motor's shaft. I've had no problems with that method so far. Other than the weird issue with a worn out TB on a 300 straight six, where cleaning the TB caused the idle to be so high the IAC couldn't compensate for it and nor could the minimum idle screw. Not to mention that backing that screw out then caused the TPS idle value to be too low...
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Slight thread jack.....wish my Tudor looked as good as yours!!,,,,,NYC street parking kills and eats everything mechanical....and some humans as well LOL
      Originally posted by LeviMM View Post
      I have the same problem as the OP. I'll check out my EGR and IAC. IIRC my EGR valve looked a little worse for wear last time I saw it. I'll post a picture to get a second opinion from you guys. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X