No announcement yet.

ABS light on help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=sly;811832]I would assume the test is in the same state as the previous test (key on) unless otherwise specified by the procedure.[/QUOTE

Yeah it is confusing because with alldata you get pin point test which has diagrams that show the position of the ignition switch during each step.
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      if you're ohm checking from harness connector to chassis ground, it really doesn't matter a whole lot. I would not expect that reading to change key on / key off if the circuit is chassis ground to connector pin. If its changing, that sounds like a questionable ground to me. If you're reading straight from the battery, its probably just current flow through the electrical system. Maybe try a body ground connection point to see if it behaves better.

typical DVM leads are a half ohm or so. Connect them together, you'll see what it is. If you need an exact reading, just subtract that number from your final reading. Honestly the lack of ability to zero the ohm reading is one thing that irks the hell out of me with digital ohm meters. It seems that it would be a simple function to add.
      Yes I did have my ground attached to the negative battery connection I will re try the test going to a known good ground.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
        When you turn the car on what is the flash pattern on the ABS light?
        The abs light is on and does not flash

Comment

I think they stopped with the flash thing once it went OBD2. The older ones you could jump a wire in the connector and get it to spit out codes blinkenlight fashion. Unless the brain was dead anyway, then it just wouldn't do anything.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I could not stand it any longer, I tried a while back to get the cover off the ABS controller to find it was permantley glued shut by Ford.

Today I took the controller off the car put it on bench and Forced the cover off, I just had to know what if anything was wrong with it before I ordered a new controller.

I was hoping to see a few cold solder joints yet when i checked the board for Shorts across the Driver transistors I found one that was shorted for sure.

So I unsoldered the legs of the transistor and checked the board for shorts also to find the board is shorted as well.

At least I know purchasing a New ABS controller will not be a waste of money.

I would try to repair the board yet I am sure I will find parts shorted that I have no way to source. besides with ABS it is best to buy OEM new parts and not fool around with a once shorted board.

Thanks to gadget 73 once again you game me just enough of a nudge to convince me to open this controller up so I could take the guess work out of this weird ABS light on no code situation.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by EaOutlaw1969; 03-25-2018, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Sorry double posted while trying to edit

Comment

Could be that a ceramic capacitor that's across the leads of that device may have shorted and not that device. Common failure mode with some of the cheap ceramic surface mount capacitors and thermal cycles. And visually, you can't tell anything is wrong.

+1 just replace the module.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The entire PCB is coated with a thin layer of what feels like silicone, all I have done at this point is desolder the part I found shorted then i unsoldered both legs and rechecked to make sure the part and the board was still shorted.

Normally I would trace the circuit down to what is being powered unsolder and test that part to see if the short on the board goes away. Yet the more i would do to this PCB the more I would destroy it just by trying to test it.

My eye sight is way too bad and hands way too shaky to try and deal with surface mounted parts. Not to mention the factory went out of their way to insure this is a unservicable part, atleast by me. LOL

Now i need to look into diagnosing the rest of the ABS system to see if anything externally could have shorted out this controller

Comment

Conformal coating, moisture blocker.

Alex.

Comment

yeah... conformal coating is a real bastage unless you have the schmoo that dissolves it. One of these days I'll ask at work what they use in the other lab to remove that stuff.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I really should get some coating to re-seal the ECM in the Towncar. I re-capped it a year or so ago and just left the solder points bare. The electrolytics were leaking the magic goo when I opened it up to install the tuner. I had some "close enough" caps around and stuffed them in. One was a 100v cap in place of a 10v, so it doesn't quite sit right.
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the information guys, After I did a little reading online I added some links for those interested.

This company seems to have some information on chemicals to remove this coating, From what i have read it seems like the ABCM is covered in a silicone coating.

https://electronics.microcare.com/re...rmal-coatings/

Here is some information on the different type of coatings

http://news.ewmfg.com/blog/which-typ...g-right-my-pcb

Comment

Today I installed a new to me ABCM after few on off cycles and short drive cycles my AbS light is off and stays off.
                            I have only taken it on two three mile trips around the neighborhood and so far so good no more ABS or Traction control light. Thanks for the help to those that offered input

Comment

Cool. Have you forced the abs to kick on just to give it a functional check?

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                                Cool. Have you forced the abs to kick on just to give it a functional check?
                                Not yet I have not registered or insured my car yet, plus I want to install 4 new tires and a Master cylinder before I test the AbS.

For now I am happy to make progress but I know I still have a lot of work to do to this car before I put the done stamp on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X