Opera top - carriage top Rear window regulator replacement 2000 MGM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opera top - carriage top Rear window regulator replacement 2000 MGM

1AAuto has posted a pretty good video on replaceing the rear window regulator, yet if your car has the carriage top you will be in for more work however the job is still fairly easy.
    Below I have posted links to the 1AAuto video and some links to some of the tools and supplies I purchased to do this job.

https://youtu.be/Ivnt6Ifj06A

I purchased a set of rear window regulators one of the boxes had a small bag of fasteners, I did not use them as I opted to just buy a large Rivet gun and a universal rivet-hardware kit from Doorman. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a link to the rivet gun I purchased I cannot belive how inexpensive it was and how well it worked for the price ( $24.00 shipped free ). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a link to the regulator rivet- hardware kit one box should be enough to do two rear windows I purchased two incase I screwed up installing one or more of the rivets yet they all went in with no problem. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To remove the aluminum trim along the bottom of rear window I purchased this cheap tool kit yet other tools I had may have done the job, I just did not want to wreck the fiberglass or the aluminum trim. I used the third tool going from left to right in the picture and it worked great no damage to the trim vinyl or fibrglass shell. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I attached a few pictures for those of you with a carriage top that need to do this job but have put it off, As you can see the aluminum trim has small plastic clips that secure the trim, these clips are the same but the leading and the last clip are turned upside down compared to the others, this meant for me I started by prying the center part of the trim from the top until the two center clips were loose then I pushed down slightly on the trim which released them from the clips, the leading and last clip I had to pry from the bottom up since the clips were reversed.

The guy from 1AAuto did not mention cleaning the door that I noticed , if your anal like me make sure to clean out the bottom of the door really good before putting the panel back on,
    My door was loaded up with sand leaves debris, etc and slight traces of rust stains coming from the door drains at the bottom of the door. Not to mention now I had all of this aluminum from drilling out the rivets in the door.

Yesturday I flushed out the door pretty good with a garden hose and let it dry then I poured in some oshpo in the door and let it drain out the bottom of the door trying to keep this oshpo off the painted and plastic surfaces. I also treaded each screw hole for the fiberglass shell mounting screws with oshpo only a few of the lower screw holes had a small amount of rust starting

Since I did not finish putting on the door panel ( my back and neck needed a break ) I will blow out the inside of the door with compressed air and if needed my shop vac blower to make double sure nothing is left in there, I will also inspect this door cavity with my cell phone camera looking for rust and or debris that may need more attention.

If you go through all of this make sure the rust and debris is taken care of while the window and regulator is out of the door, I was rushed because of storm clouds overhead, which means when I blow out the door I have to wrap up the regulator channel slide that is lubricated to prevent dirt or metal shavings from sticking to it.

When I do the regulator on the Passenger rear I will make sure to remove the fiberglass shell first so I can clean the door windows and moldings that havent seen the light of day since the car was new.

I plan on having the vinyl top replaced once i can afford it and get done rebuilding the passenger side rear door.

While I was there I cleaned up the outside of the door, windows, seals etc I also scrapped off the old paint from the rear quarter window that was cracked peeling and needed to be redone, I am not sure if the upholstry shop would redo this paint or not But I am guessing I would rather do it myself but with rain coming yesturday and not being prepared to do this paint work plus touch up the door I opted to put it back together until I am ready to tackel it.

I will say now that I have done this work for the first time ( my experiance was with older cars ) I wish I would have ordered new door seals, lock actualtor, felts etc to properly restore this door as I do not want to go back into this door again anytime soon once i close it up.

The passenger side will get a new to me rear quarter window since it is all scratched up.

Anyways I hope this helps some of you that are on the fence about fixing your rear window regulators or paying to have it done.
    Attached Files
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Nice work!
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Wow, that's a lot of work. Now i know why nobody in town wanted to fix my 95 vic's window when it was going up crooked. Finally had to trade a backyard body guy a mooring and a dinghy. told me he had to borrow a rivet gun and said it was a major pita to do. thought i was getting a bargain with the 75 buck napa regulator but what did i know...

otoh i just did the back window on my 88 myself. 8 bucks for the plastic buttons and a pretty easy job. youtube help videos are great.
        96 MGM
        sigpic
        Cruisin up and down the road...

Comment

To find anyone to to any type of WORK, and do it right in Maine, is allot of work. They sure want the big bucks though.

Comment

Originally posted by BoulevardRide View Post
            Wow, that's a lot of work. Now i know why nobody in town wanted to fix my 95 vic's window when it was going up crooked. Finally had to trade a backyard body guy a mooring and a dinghy. told me he had to borrow a rivet gun and said it was a major pita to do. thought i was getting a bargain with the 75 buck napa regulator but what did i know...

otoh i just did the back window on my 88 myself. 8 bucks for the plastic buttons and a pretty easy job. youtube help videos are great.
            I agree compared to the older Ford window motors that had the gear go out in them the cable operated regulators are a pain to do, yet someone whom has done this job a few times with the right tools could knock the job out in less than a hour without the carriage top and 1&1/2 hours with a top.

When you pay to have this work done, you can bet they end up leaving all the debris in the bottom of the door which will eventully rust it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
              To find anyone to to any type of WORK, and do it right in Maine, is allot of work. They sure want the big bucks though.
              My Wife and I were considering moving to find a less expensive place to live, Online we found what looked like a perfect place that we could afford but it needed alot of work.

Some of the repairs this house needed made me wonder how people could just live like that, For example the toilet seat was broken yet instead of buying a new one they used duct tape on it.

Other things that needed repair yet seemed like a easy fix for a handy man looked like it went unrepaired for many years.

Once we researched tha back ground of the town it was clear why the house was in usch bad shape, out of only 500 homes in the area 75% of the population or more were either retired or disabled.
              They had no major home improvement centers near by.

I told my Wife sure we could buy the house for cash with the sale of our home yet with my bad back and neck plus lack of fit and willing tradesmen the chances of getting it fixed up to our liking is slim to none. the worst part of this town was the feuding and crime that had been going on for years.

Comment

Working...
              X