PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: 79-89 Dash Clock to Gauge Pod Adapter

Ford Fullsize For Life! marquis_82_withneons's Avatar

Default 79-89 Dash Clock to Gauge Pod Adapter

Whats up errbody.. ill let the pics do the talking. i thought these up while trying to sort out my own gauge placement debacle and then hit up a good friend with a 3d printer. This is just Ver. 1 if you will, because the hole needs to be enlarged and a few details need to be ironed out. in the end, i may even look into different colors to go with different interiors. price to be determined, probably something around $20 shipped.

(let me know if i got that year range correct or if theres any other limitations)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180312_081618[1].jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	49534

Name:	20180312_081633.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	49535
    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 175K full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
    Daily Rice - Blue 1987 Plymouth Horizon - 2.2L 139K, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, BORLA #workbeater

Just wanted to say cool idea and good luck. Right on with the years for Grand Marquis and Crown Vics. Maybe sharing what size gauge would fit would be of help. From the looks of it the standard 2 1/16" looks to be the size.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

fomoco panthers !

You might be on to something good there. On ebay those sell for insane dollars. It might be interesting to test different colors on a ebay auction to match different interiors. The biggest market though is the police car collectors. Of course they want everything perfect and original. They should considering how much money they have in those cars.
    Most of the people who need replacements need them because a hole was drilled in the center of the clock blank.

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Just wanted to say cool idea and good luck. Right on with the years for Grand Marquis and Crown Vics. Maybe sharing what size gauge would fit would be of help. From the looks of it the standard 2 1/16" looks to be the size.
    this was just a mock up of it, my friend just made a generic 2" hole. the final will have the little raised section to look stock-ish and will also have the locating pins. i may consider multiple versions of it as well in 2", 2 1/16", and 2 5/8". all those should fit and still be able to retain the raised section i want. should be plenty of room behind the plate and the factory clock wiring is there for power ground and illumination already! im really all about the stealth factor with things like this.
    Last edited by marquis_82_withneons; 03-13-2018 at 09:13 AM.
    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 175K full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
    Daily Rice - Blue 1987 Plymouth Horizon - 2.2L 139K, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, BORLA #workbeater

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    You might be on to something good there. On ebay those sell for insane dollars. It might be interesting to test different colors on a ebay auction to match different interiors. The biggest market though is the police car collectors. Of course they want everything perfect and original. They should considering how much money they have in those cars.
    Most of the people who need replacements need them because a hole was drilled in the center of the clock blank.
    wow thats kinda cool. i never wouldve expected that part to be so valuable. but usually the little things are. mine actually came from my base model 82 Merc. suprised it wasnt broken from previous owner. im definitely hanging on to mine then. i got a digital clock there now.

As promised gents... here is Ver. 2! resized the hole to 2 1/4, the biggest that will fit and still be able to retain the little ridge. added locating pins, not exactly crucial, but makes it look a little more original. and then of course added the little step-up. needs a good finishing sand, and then will be able to be paint matched.

Name:	20180314_083201.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	49537

Name:	20180314_083434.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	116.6 KB 
ID:	49538

not embarrassed on a scooter 85crownHPP's Avatar

Any chance you can make DIN/DIN.5 etc slot sized goodies??

Does a 2 1/4" gauge fit in the clock hole? The opening in the front part.

LOUD EXHAUST IS FUN! AM I SHOUTING?
    1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 111k miles, towing package with 3.55 trac-lok...347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

As cool as 3d printing is, it creates a horrible finish.

Something like this could probably be cut out of 1/8" black ABS and already have the correct texture on it.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 85crownHPP View Post
    Those actually exist. The gauge set in my Towncar is a DIN mount with 3 gauge holes. Got it on ebay for $cheap.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by Birdofprey View Post
    As cool as 3d printing is, it creates a horrible finish.

Something like this could probably be cut out of 1/8" black ABS and already have the correct texture on it.
    i did say i would be finish sanding.. besides that, i want a factory replica. not just a piece of plastic with a hole.

Quote Originally Posted by 85crownHPP View Post
    sure can. i had not thought of that yet. great idea! wouldnt be hard at all. my 82 also had a factory radio delete plate. so i have the piece to make a clone of. essentially ill do as i did the clock plate.

As fugly as some folks might find them, the police gauge pod with the three holes would be pretty neat if that could be replicated some time in the future. I guess the hard part would be sourcing the original part.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (320K Miles) - The Hideaway & April 2017 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (200K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 POTM Winner

I have a radio block off plate from a 1985 Crown Vic LTD police car. Looks like it would take 2 gauges if you wanted to run no radio or relocate the radio somewhere else. I have the antenna block off too. WagonMan
    1990 Colony Park
    1970 HEMI Superbird