79-89 Dash Clock to Gauge Pod Adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79-89 Dash Clock to Gauge Pod Adapter

Whats up errbody.. ill let the pics do the talking. i thought these up while trying to sort out my own gauge placement debacle and then hit up a good friend with a 3d printer. This is just Ver. 1 if you will, because the hole needs to be enlarged and a few details need to be ironed out. in the end, i may even look into different colors to go with different interiors. price to be determined, probably something around $20 shipped.

(let me know if i got that year range correct or if theres any other limitations)

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180312_081618[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	1304178

Name:	20180312_081633.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	1304179
    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
    Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Just wanted to say cool idea and good luck. Right on with the years for Grand Marquis and Crown Vics. Maybe sharing what size gauge would fit would be of help. From the looks of it the standard 2 1/16" looks to be the size.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

You might be on to something good there. On ebay those sell for insane dollars. It might be interesting to test different colors on a ebay auction to match different interiors. The biggest market though is the police car collectors. Of course they want everything perfect and original. They should considering how much money they have in those cars.
      Most of the people who need replacements need them because a hole was drilled in the center of the clock blank.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
        Just wanted to say cool idea and good luck. Right on with the years for Grand Marquis and Crown Vics. Maybe sharing what size gauge would fit would be of help. From the looks of it the standard 2 1/16" looks to be the size.
        this was just a mock up of it, my friend just made a generic 2" hole. the final will have the little raised section to look stock-ish and will also have the locating pins. i may consider multiple versions of it as well in 2", 2 1/16", and 2 5/8". all those should fit and still be able to retain the raised section i want. should be plenty of room behind the plate and the factory clock wiring is there for power ground and illumination already! im really all about the stealth factor with things like this.
        Last edited by marquis_82_withneons; 03-13-2018, 09:13 AM.
        Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
        Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
        Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
          You might be on to something good there. On ebay those sell for insane dollars. It might be interesting to test different colors on a ebay auction to match different interiors. The biggest market though is the police car collectors. Of course they want everything perfect and original. They should considering how much money they have in those cars.
          Most of the people who need replacements need them because a hole was drilled in the center of the clock blank.
          wow thats kinda cool. i never wouldve expected that part to be so valuable. but usually the little things are. mine actually came from my base model 82 Merc. suprised it wasnt broken from previous owner. im definitely hanging on to mine then. i got a digital clock there now.

Comment

As promised gents... here is Ver. 2! resized the hole to 2 1/4, the biggest that will fit and still be able to retain the little ridge. added locating pins, not exactly crucial, but makes it look a little more original. and then of course added the little step-up. needs a good finishing sand, and then will be able to be paint matched.

Name:	20180314_083201.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	1283172

Name:	20180314_083434.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	1283173

Comment

Any chance you can make DIN/DIN.5 etc slot sized goodies??
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Does a 2 1/4" gauge fit in the clock hole? The opening in the front part.

LOUD EXHAUST IS FUN! AM I SHOUTING?
                1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

As cool as 3d printing is, it creates a horrible finish.

Something like this could probably be cut out of 1/8" black ABS and already have the correct texture on it.

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                    Those actually exist. The gauge set in my Towncar is a DIN mount with 3 gauge holes. Got it on ebay for $cheap.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Birdofprey View Post
                      As cool as 3d printing is, it creates a horrible finish.

Something like this could probably be cut out of 1/8" black ABS and already have the correct texture on it.
                      i did say i would be finish sanding.. besides that, i want a factory replica. not just a piece of plastic with a hole.

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                        sure can. i had not thought of that yet. great idea! wouldnt be hard at all. my 82 also had a factory radio delete plate. so i have the piece to make a clone of. essentially ill do as i did the clock plate.

Comment

As fugly as some folks might find them, the police gauge pod with the three holes would be pretty neat if that could be replicated some time in the future. I guess the hard part would be sourcing the original part.

My Cars:
                          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I have a radio block off plate from a 1985 Crown Vic LTD police car. Looks like it would take 2 gauges if you wanted to run no radio or relocate the radio somewhere else. I have the antenna block off too. WagonMan
                            89 Colony Park
                            90 Colony Park
                            70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Working...
                            X