Wagon Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagon Exhaust

Worked on the exhaust on the 86 last night. Its missing the muffler and tail pipe.

Has anyone modified the sedan tail pipe to work on the wagon?

I found that where it kicks up right before the rearmost bracket interferes with the spare tire hump.

Thinking about cutting it here and welding on the last 6-8" of the tailpipe straight out from that bend. That should be the exhaust tip right behind the rear wheel were the original one exited. (that hanger is still there)

The muffler hanger is missing too, going to have to fab up something, unless I want to go crawling under JY boxes to see if they have anything worth using.

The tail pipes tend to just go straight back from the 90* after the axle. You can remove the muffler hangar bracket and replace the rubber hanger with one from the parts store. Many generic ones avail.

In the future, I forsee my self modding the spare tire area to acept sedan tail. Really dont like how mine look, hanging off on the back end. Sedan tails are much cleaner and dont hit curbs lol.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I found this discontinued AP Exhaust part. This was the tail pipe that would exit right behind the wheel.

AP Exhaust 44740

Looks like the spot it kicks over is about the same spot the sedan pipe jogs over to clear the trunk. Thinking my plan will work.

Comment

If you want the actual pipe it looks like Summit has it. Found it on CarID too.

https://www.summitracing.com/search?...yword=aph-4474

https://www.carid.com/ap-exhaust-tec...mpn-44740.html
        These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Your plan will work.

I’ve been running mine with sedan tails since 2008. Both sides. It will not exit at the factory dual location but will match 1979-89 single location.

I was able to reuse the stock hanger for the wagon tailpipe, if you have it laying around somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Thank god the dumb asses who put mufflers on my wagon did not weld the tail pipes to the mufflers. The animals hacked the H pipe for some reason and deleted the flange from the cats, and welded the H pipe straight from the cats to the muffler all the way round on both ends. Since the grand marquis/crown victoria/ mark 6 H pipe was discontinued, I used a original H pipe from a 88 town car shortened it 3 inches, bought new mufflers, and used the cats from the 88 town car. Now My exhaust unbolts like it should.

EDIT
            88 town car
            http://www.walkerexhaust.com/catalog...catalog-lookup
            88 ltd
            http://www.walkerexhaust.com/catalog...catalog-lookup
            Last edited by dd345; 03-14-2018, 09:30 PM.

Comment

I purposely had them (muffler shop) weld all that up on my cars as the flanges were warped and wouldn't seal for crap. There's no flange behind the cats. All welded.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Cut the Sedan tail pipe

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                I was able to reuse the stock hanger for the wagon tailpipe, if you have it laying around somewhere.
                I still have the hanger for the tail pipe, The hanger that mounts here:

And attaches here is what I was referring to

I was thinking about recreating the bracket that used both bolt holes but that's probably over kill.

Picked up one of these:

Ground off the rivet and bolted through.

Got the muffler clamped on and bolted onto the hanger. Just need to weld on the end of the tail pipe and should be good to go.

Comment

This is a helpful thread, I'm going to have to deal with this topic soon enough also...in my case I'll be doing dual exhaust and have no interest in anything welded or custom fab, so off the shelf options are good to know.

Based on the above info, where AP Exhaust produced/produces the wagon tail pipe for the passenger side, I went and looked in the catalog: http://www.apemissions.com/wp-conten...ord-Volvo1.pdf

For posterity, here are some screenshots of relevant sections:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ap-exhaust-wagons-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1283176Click image for larger version

Name:	ap-exhaust-wagons-2.jpg
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1283177Click image for larger version

Name:	ap-exhaust-wagons-3.jpg
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1283178Click image for larger version

Name:	ap-exhaust-wagons-4.jpg
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	1283179Click image for larger version

Name:	ap-exhaust-wagons-5.jpg
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	1283180Click image for larger version

Name:	ap-exhaust-wagons-6.jpg
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1283181Click image for larger version

Name:	ap-exhaust-wagons-7.jpg
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	1283182

What's the deal with the wagon ones that seem to exit closer to the back of the car? Do they run inboard of the spare tire?

Current driver: Ranger
                  Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                  | 88 TC | 91 GM
                  Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                  Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                  | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
                    What's the deal with the wagon ones that seem to exit closer to the back of the car? Do they run inboard of the spare tire?
                    Yeah, Seems like the dual sedan ones go wide to clear the trunk well and the dual wagon ones goes straight back from the 90* bend.

[

I *almost* thought about swapping the dual exhaust over from the 84 but decided that would just mean I would have to fix the exhaust on the 84 before selling it.

Comment

I not a very experienced welder -at all, but at least my welds don't look too much worse than the facotry welds on that bracket. lol.

I cleaned up the whole end of the tailpipe and gave it a coat of VHT sliver since its visible right there behind the wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
                        I was asking myself the same thing when I saw one of TecNickal’s wagons fitted with the OE type dual exhaust. Factory wagon duals have a side exit at the rear bumper and wagon singles have a side exit before the spare tire right behind the wheel.

With my dual swap, I’m doing what BirdofPrey is doing and just copying the single exhaust exit on the driver’s side. Less complicated compared to trying to give the appearance of the factory system. Anyone outside of the community wouldn’t even notice.

My Cars:
                        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Anyone ever look at using GM B body wagon tailpipes? The sedan ones at least have the proper over-axle bend. If nothing else you could probably take the sedan pipes and add an elbow to kick it out the side. The GM stuff had a rear resonator so basically all you get is the piece that gets from the muffler to behind the axle. At that point you can do whatever you like with it.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Got this buttoned up over the weekend but haven't had a chance to post it.

Welded pipe with the VHT aluminum paint.

Bracket adapter formed. Could have also cut off and relocated the welded on bracket.

[/url]

Final result.

-Charles

Comment

Not going to lie, really like the look on how the tail pipe tucks its self in there.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Working...
                              X