Weird loud noise from intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird loud noise from intake

3 times so far from a cold start I hear a very loud sound coming from the intake manifold which transmits through the air intake.

I tried to record it with my iPad yet when playing back the video I cannot hear it , but in real time when I am in front or in the car the noise drowns out everything and is very annoying.

I can only describe the sound of the noise like a asthmatic air horn LOL once it warms up the noise goes away like someone turned off a switch.

My thought is a dirty Idle air control valve or very dirty throttle body.

The noise does not last long enough to do any real investigation yet I have had time to unclip the air cleaner lid to pull it away from the air cleaner and you can tell the noise is coming from the intake through the air inlet tube which amplifies it.

Has anyone with a 4.6 had a noise like this? any suggestions? I plan on looking into cleaning the IAC and throttle body but I am unsure if the throttle body has the coating on it that is not supposed to be cleaned.

I will look up on Mitchell to see what kind of service I can get away with for the throttle body and IAC motor.
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

I think you're right on the money with the IAC valve. Members have had the same problem and that's what the issue was.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
      I think you're right on the money with the IAC valve. Members have had the same problem and that's what the issue was.
      Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

This sound:

IAC is the culprit. (That's not a stock box IAC I had on there, stock box IAC don't have this issue.)
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
          This sound:

IAC is the culprit. (That's not a stock box IAC I had on there, stock box IAC don't have this issue.)
          I clicked on the picture which took me to flicker yet it showed up as a picture not video.

Comment

This morning I removed the IAC and submerged it in my ultrasonic jewelry cleaner and filled the cleaner with Seafoam, I ran my cleaner for about 1/2 hour or so and cleaned the IAC pretty good.

It still starts and runs fine yet Time will tell if cleaning it helped or if I need to replace the IAC.

Like I mentioned the noise has only happened three times out of probably 40- 50 times starting it.
            Attached Files

Comment

Try this, it should let you click play once it takes you to flickr.
              VID_20170809_170848330.mp4

Edit: It looks like flickr doesn't load the play option right away, give a little time to load and the play option should appear, and clicking play doesn't seem to play right away either. The network where I was at earlier was faster so I didn't notice these problems. Let it sit for a minute or so and it should eventually start to play.
              Last edited by VicCrownVic; 03-15-2018, 10:40 AM.
              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I took your advice and the video played, the noise is very similar to the noise I heard my car.

Weird all the years working on car I never heard a IAC cause this noise.

Thanks for the video

Comment

Its more common to get that noise on the aero cars. I think they even had a TSB and what amounts to a muffler that went in the hose to shut it up.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    Its more common to get that noise on the aero cars. I think they even had a TSB and what amounts to a muffler that went in the hose to shut it up.
                    Thanks I will look into the TSBs on this car I have not read through them yet since I just signed up to Mitchell

Comment

found it, though it may not apply to newer models. This says 92-94

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/fo..._201217_A1.pdf
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think the one I have that makes the sound was for my mom's long gone '93 MGM. I have a brand new replacement that will be going on when I switch from The Ice Car to The Scab when the weather becomes nice.
                        Last edited by VicCrownVic; 03-15-2018, 08:02 PM.
                        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Thanks I looked through the TSBs for the 2000 and there is no mention of this kit or TSB but I can see how it may help if my cleaned IAC or a new IAC does not cure it.

Thanks again

Comment

May need the muffler from a PI engine (townie) like the one on the 03 townie engine in my 93...

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	1283184

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

It probably became standard equipment after a while. 92-94 were early days for this engine family.

Comment

Working...
                              X