Spectra radiators - drop in quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spectra radiators - drop in quality

I put a radiator in my '85 last fall. I didn't think it was really necessary to go with a brass one on this car so I bought the aluminum Spectra since they're well-reputed. But as it turns out, Spectra recently outsourced the aluminum ones to China, and ruined the design in the process. I had to notch out the top rail to get the brackets to fit (awful picture, sorry), and the overflow fitting is now directly parallel with the radiator instead of angled so it points right at the overflow tank and there's barely room to fit the hose on without collapsing it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Radiator defect 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1304187

Name:	Radiator defect 2.jpg
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1304188

Name:	Radiator label.jpg
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1304189

Just a heads-up for anyone expecting the quality that Spectra used to have. The radiator has performed properly so far and it probably isn't any worse than any other cheap ones, but if I had to do it over again I'd pay the extra for the brass.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria
    1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
    1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 360

Past: 1995 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

I have known Spectra to supply cheap radiators that normally sort of fit most of the time but not always without some sort of modification.

I personally would never modify my car to fit a cheap radiator unless I was in dire need of my car and had no other choice.

Sorry you had to hack your ride up.
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

I'm pretty sure I've only bought one Spectra rad, but I found it was a perfect drop-in replacement, everything angled and positioned exactly right, and cooling system performance was not degraded at all.

However, this was 5 years ago. It was a CU227 (91 MGM application), and was made in Canada. It was noticeably heavier, as I recall, than the Chinese-made one of a different brand that I put in my Lincoln years later.

Current driver: wagon
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

I have had multiple spectra's over the years (its about the only thing they sell up here) and I have found the fit to be spot on. The most surprising was the Plastic Aluminum I put in my '73 Nova. Best fit rad I ever had for that car. Pretty much all their aluminum plastic rads are made in China.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by EaOutlaw1969 View Post
          I have known Spectra to supply cheap radiators that normally sort of fit most of the time but not always without some sort of modification.

I personally would never modify my car to fit a cheap radiator unless I was in dire need of my car and had no other choice.

Sorry you had to hack your ride up.
          Oh, I didn't have to do anything to my car, I just hacked up the radiator. The car had been out of commission long enough already and I was tired of having to drive my truck, so rather than return it (and risk it being damaged in shipping as well) I just made it fit.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria
          1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
          1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 360

Past: 1995 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Comment

Odd, gotta wonder whats up with Spectra on that design choice, (email them with your pictures, they seem responsive to feedback).
            Their plastic aluminum rads (CU547, CU556) have the side facing outlet, their HD rad (CU552) has the angled outlet.

http://ecat.spectrapremium.com/vehicles/188679/products

Alex.

Comment

Weird, gotta check what brand i had in the wrecked car, it was brand-new install when all the top-end stuff went it and fit perfect. It's still in the garage waiting to go in the new car.

Comment

Due to this thread, I decided to check the price of the HD radiator, CU552 again, and hot damn did I get a great deal on Amazon. Only $133.94 (142.65 tax included, now it's back up to $202.78 when I just checked after completing the order). That's the one great thing about Amazon, if nobody buys something for a long time, the price on remaining stock drops until someone finally makes a purchase. I couldn't find any cheaper online than around $230 before when I was looking. So it might be worth it to bookmark a few parts you know you'll need eventually, and keep track of the ordinary price. https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premi...70_&dpSrc=srch

It had only showed 1 in stock with more on the way, and now for some reason it shows 2 in stock (with 4-5 day prime shipping), so I don't know what's up with that.
                Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Might be a natural price hike from the wholesaler getting passed along with the new stock.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                    Might be a natural price hike from the wholesaler getting passed along with the new stock.
                    Nah, I'd been keeping an eye on the price (because I probably need one for the '88 Arizona Wagon I'm buying from Jaywish). Cheapest prices I could find online for the HD model were around $210-230ish with Amazon being the lowest. This is why I was ecstatic to find the price was $140 & change yesterday, and when I checked it again today it was even lower.
                    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

It is two years since I put in the same CU224 made in Canada in my '86 Tudor.......no problems!
                      Originally posted by kishy View Post
                      I'm pretty sure I've only bought one Spectra rad, but I found it was a perfect drop-in replacement, everything angled and positioned exactly right, and cooling system performance was not degraded at all.

However, this was 5 years ago. It was a CU227 (91 MGM application), and was made in Canada. It was noticeably heavier, as I recall, than the Chinese-made one of a different brand that I put in my Lincoln years later.

Comment

Something worth a mention, check the voltage in the coolant. If you've got missing grounds, you will read voltage from negative to the coolant itself, and that will cause the radiator to eat itself away. Its also NFG for the heater core, same reason.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Update:
                          If you want the best money can buy, then contact Griffin Radiators and order p/n 7-70150, which is a direct drop in for all box cars........from 1979-1987, it may fit those into the 90's........but call and speak to "Pam" and she will set you straight.

Comment

I just looked up the radiator and it will not work on a 1990-91 Crown Vict's and Merc Grand Marq'sdue to the size being slightly off and the inlet being 1-1/4 on the griffen where as the CV GMQ are 1-1/2 in just thought I let you know.

Comment

edt: you are better off going to Radiator Express they have the radiator you will need.

Comment

Working...
                              X