1990 Colony Park needs header panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 Colony Park needs header panel

So, busted header panel. I need a new one. Am I limited to 88-91 MGM, or can I go any PANTHER since the began making them up until 91? Perfection not required. What are my options? CV, TC, MGM? What years?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
    Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
    Bone stock... for now.

You can do the mix-n-match thing, but it looks a little odd:

You'll need to stick with Mercury, whichever route you go.

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

I like it. But then I like the look of the sharper lines of the older front end.

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post

If you could do up some sort of filler panel to hide the gaps beneath the turn signals, that would look a lot better.

sigpic
        - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Body lines different on the Vic?

Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
            Body lines different on the Vic?

Header panel is a few inches shorter on a LTD. The frame has small extensions on the front for the GMQ given the extra length.

My Cars:
            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
            -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

‘‘Twas an 85 GM sedan with a nice header and stripless front bumper at the local pick n save last I was there. If no one comes through, I will see she holds next time I visit and check in with you.

Not sure about the 88-91 rubber fender trim through - what’s behind it if you peel it off?
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                ‘‘Twas an 85 GM sedan with a nice header and stripless front bumper at the local pick n save last I was there. If no one comes through, I will see she holds next time I visit and check in with you.

Not sure about the 88-91 rubber fender trim through - what’s behind it if you peel it off?
                I don't think I have rubber trim. It's a Colony Park, so it has fake wood stuff. I'll make anything that will fit Work!

Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Now, I don't care if it looks perfect or not, I just need it driveable. The CV part is shorter, but if I use CV brackets will it mount? No local yard has a MGM in this age range. One might have a CV. Please, if you know, it's very important.

Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Now, I don't care if it looks perfect or not, I just need it driveable. The CV part is shorter, but if I use CV brackets will it mount? No local yard has a MGM in this age range. One might have a CV. Please, if you know, it's very important.

The GMQ frame is about 4 inches longer in the front.

Frame Lengths

There are small extensions at the front frame horns that extend the bumper support further out. The LTD header panel most likely will not fit correctly no matter how you swing it unless you start cutting and welding things.

My Cars:
                    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Just some brainstorming here...

Fenders are the same size. Radiator core support bolts up to the fenders in the corners. Header panel bolts up to the fenders in the corners and the radiator core support in a couple of places.

The cv header panel would fit without issue but be sunken in when compared to the bumper on the car because of the longer frame for the grand marquis up front.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yes...should bolt on per my understanding, but it will have an extreme "underbite". I'm pretty sure there's a member here who has a car that's like that but I don't recall who.

If you don't mind your bumper sticking out an obscene amount providing a mobile park bench wherever you drive it, it might be tolerable, but I'm also thinking there will be a visible gap below/in front of the header panel. Even if you say you won't mind now, it'll probably end up being a temporary fix if you get annoyed enough by it after it's done.

Current driver: Ranger
                        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                        | 88 TC | 91 GM
                        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                        | Junkyards

Comment

88-91 CV header will match your fenders and hood. Earlier, (87 and older will not match the lines on your hood!) WagonMan
                          89 Colony Park
                          90 Colony Park
                          70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Thank you, guys! This car is ugly and not getting restored. It's gonna get a mad max treatment and driven until it's natural death. Underbite and non-matching lines are Okay! I know some of you are horrified, but it's another Panther still on the streets. I'm no purist, and I'm gonna have fun with it!

Bone stock... for now.

Comment

I don't think I have rubber trim. It's a Colony Park, so it has fake wood stuff. I'll make anything that will fit Work!

Tiggie, you're in a state close to me. If you come up with one, let me know. I'll figure something out and make arrangements with you to get one.

Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Working...
                              X