Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2000 MGM Automatic climate control Blend door Source needed for gears made of metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000 MGM Automatic climate control Blend door Source needed for gears made of metal

Hi guys, I finally got around to checking into my blend door malfunction, I got a self diagnostic code 24.

After watching countless videos of hacks on you tube I decided to see if this was a job i wanted to attempt with my bad neck and back or just leave the controls set to Max AC or normal AC with no warm air blended to set temprature to a comfortable level.

I found out on my car as long as I did not try to blend the air I would not be bothered with constant clicking of the infamous stripped gear click.

On the 2000 to gain access to the blend door actuator even with my Large ape like hands it only took around 11/2 hours most of that was spent mucking around with the radio that someone
    penatrated the release tabs with who knows what making the release tabs non functional.

While digging around I found atleast 4 screw holes with missing screws ( nice ) it was obvious this job had been done- hacked before and it had a new non Motorcraft part installed.

I removed the Blend door actuator and opened it up to find just one tooth broke on the smaller gear.

I also tested the operation of the blend door to make sure it is not binding up on leaves or other debris, the door opens and closes smooth with no problems but it feels like a heavy door for such a small gear I would think once the blower is working on high the amount of torque on this actuator would go up as well.

All of this makes me wonder if I should buy a OEM actuator with new gears and pull those gears to have duplicates made of some sort of metal or better yet maybe someone here knows of a metal gear set already produced.

I know to get a machine shop to reproduce these gears would be expensive yet I really realy really do not want to do this job again even thogh it did not take long to get out the pain level I had to endure getting at the actuator because of my bad neck and back and the angles i had to put my body in was enough to make me want to just stop working on the car and have the damn thing towed away for scrap metal.

Any information on better replacement gears would be appreciated, Yes I have looked at the one vendor that sells a plastic gear kits for this job yet it is still plastic and I do not trust that their gears are any better than Dorman Napa or Ford ETC

I did see this kit I wonder if it is any good

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Easy-Fix-Bl...4383.l4275.c10
    Last edited by EaOutlaw1969; 03-21-2018, 06:36 AM.
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

That kit just looks like a cheap bypass to stop heater core flow. I don’t know how well that would work since the blend door between the heater core and evaporative core would still be stopped in place.

Everyone seems to report that the Dorman blend doors are junk, especially the EATC ones because the system is always making minor adjustments for optimum temperature. I had mine replaced several years ago with an official Ford part. Whenever it goes again, I’ll replace it with a Ford part.

I would think if it’s possible to have metal gears made up, it sure would be nice to prevent repeat servicing. I figure it would be similar to the power pedals when those have the plastic gears strip out.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I am so on the fence about what to buy to fix this issue, the replacement gear they offer on Amazon and eBay claims it is better than OEM and way better than the aftermarket plus they offer a lifetime warranty yet since there is a chance for the larger gear to break as well I would rather buy their deluxe kit that has both gears but I have not been able to find the listing for it.

It’s funny with all the complants about this actuator you would think Ford would have had a TSB and updated part by now

Comment

Well I ended up just buying a OEM Ford part. But I am going to slot the screws so I can pull them out easier with my carb adjusting tool.

Comment

yeah the cheap fix thing is a heater core bypass. Sort of an interesting part honestly, if there were some handy way of tying it to an output that was live only in max AC you could get a slight boost in AC performance. There is a vacuum operated equivalent that Sly found that can be tied into the fresh air / recirc door to get that job done. I've been meaning to install one and see how much difference it makes. I figure with my car being over 30 years old, the seals on that blend door are guaranteed to not be perfect.

If you could have the gears made of aluminum or even a better grade of plastic it would last almost forever, but having them made may not be too cheap. It would be a fine small batch CNC job though, have 100 sets made and sell them on ebay with instructions on how to install them.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I plan on talking to a Metal fabrication welding shop that I used while I was working to see if they would consider duplicating these out of brass but I guess aluminum would work just as good.

I was thinking gears like this could be made with a milling machine but I guess a CNC would be a better bet.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              yeah the cheap fix thing is a heater core bypass. Sort of an interesting part honestly, if there were some handy way of tying it to an output that was live only in max AC you could get a slight boost in AC performance. There is a vacuum operated equivalent that Sly found that can be tied into the fresh air / recirc door to get that job done. I've been meaning to install one and see how much difference it makes. I figure with my car being over 30 years old, the seals on that blend door are guaranteed to not be perfect.

If you could have the gears made of aluminum or even a better grade of plastic it would last almost forever, but having them made may not be too cheap. It would be a fine small batch CNC job though, have 100 sets made and sell them on ebay with instructions on how to install them.
              It's the ranger/explorer heater core bypass. T off the panel vent vacuum control to activate it and you'll get no heat in AC modes. Did that on the Mark VI to help with hot summers before Nick bought it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I finished the install and put my car back together, The only losses were a little skin a sore back and neck and one 7 mm deep socket that fell down deep in the right kick penel area.

while trying to find the socket I found a red plastic connector seperator that was supposed to live in the connector for the crash computer I guess it is called.

It is obvious some uncaring hack had my dash out at one point which makes me wonder what else is wrong under there.

Well at least my AC and heat works good. i just hope my missing socket does not rattle around LOL.

My wallet decided that it is not the right time to reinvent the gears for the Acutator so i will just run the Motorcraft unit and see how long it last.

Comment

Working...
                X