No announcement yet.

Winter Vs Summer Fuel Mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short trips when cold has more to do with how thick the differential fluid you use and if its synthetic or not
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Tell that to my TBI GM 350 which wants to sit and idle at 1000 RPM until it hits a certain temperature, running rich all the while.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

The diff oil being thick doesn't help though. Synthetic is an improvement there. Also not significantly more expensive, so win.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Interesting, i suppose it's good that I'm getting on par fuel mileage. I use 10W-30 synthetic oil. Being cold does not help at, all as mentioned...I don't think the car's even fully warmed up until 1/2-3/4 of the way on my normal trip when it's cold. If I went 65 and got 20mpg...it really wouldn't be worth the 2 extra miles I got to slow down, not to mention people trying to run me off the road at that speed!

I do wonder how its highway mileage would be with 3.08's or 3.27's. Probably not worth the trade off for many reasons, besides acceleration, I do more in city than highway. What was the
          "standard" gear ratio for wagons without the tow package? I hope not 2.73s...
          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Synthetic specifically in the diff is what I meant. It flows better when cold.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
              Interesting, i suppose it's good that I'm getting on par fuel mileage. I use 10W-30 synthetic oil. Being cold does not help at, all as mentioned...I don't think the car's even fully warmed up until 1/2-3/4 of the way on my normal trip when it's cold. If I went 65 and got 20mpg...it really wouldn't be worth the 2 extra miles I got to slow down, not to mention people trying to run me off the road at that speed!

I do wonder how its highway mileage would be with 3.08's or 3.27's. Probably not worth the trade off for many reasons, besides acceleration, I do more in city than highway. What was the
              mOST 3.08 A GUESS BUT MOST I HAVE had a chance to look at are.

Comment

here is how i figured how much economy in the wither was affected by rear gear lube.
                Going to work would start the car. it had the climate control heating/AC. would let it warm up until the heater fan set auto would kick on. high idle choke mode dropped to normal after a very short period. Coolant temp at this point around 140* took much longer than choke mode.
                it was 3 to 4 miles through city streets to the highway and would run it to work another 8 to 10 miles.
                Coming home was just the opposite went through the same procedure to warm up the car but the entrance to the high ramp was was a block or less from were i worked.
                used a lot less fuel going to work compared to going home. Changed the OEM fluid in my 87 to synthetic economy came closer to the same both ways.
                Want to see the difference put some 80 90 wt syn and some non syn lube out in a cold winter day and try to pour it out

Comment

Open 3.08 seems pretty standard for most wagons from my findings, including my 90. The 88 is 3.27 open. I don’t notice a difference between the two.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                    What was the
                    3.08. which is basically a 2.73 in terms of acceleration and such.

Comment

My 86 Wagon has 3.08 and the 84 wagon has 3.55

For reference and because I had to search it, Door Axel codes:

8 : Open 2.73
                      M : Trac-Lok 2.73
                      Y : Open 3.08
                      Z : Trac-Lok 3.08
                      5 : Open 3.27
                      E : Trac-Lok 3.27
                      2 : Open 3.55
                      K : Trac-Lok 3.55

*Edit And the info for looking at the tag on the axle:

-Charles
                      Last edited by Birdofprey; 04-09-2018, 12:20 PM.

Comment

I believe all boxes most common were 3.08s, PI maybe 3.27, trailer towing 3.55

Comment

The sticky for the axle codes is in the aero/whale section http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...258-Axle-Codes

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                            I believe all boxes most common were 3.08s, PI maybe 3.27, trailer towing 3.55
                            The 351 equipped Police model I was under a while ago had a 2.73 rear. Not sure about 302 Police models. The ‘87 has a 3.27 open, but I think 3.08 was more common in standard wagons.

My ‘97, like most non-HPP/Police models just has a 2.73 open.

My Cars:
                            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                            -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I know for certain on at least '86-'89 Town Cars that the base models were standard with a 3.08. Signature Series gave you a 3.27, both open.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

all of my panthers have come with 2.73 open so far... 88 MGM GS, 93 CV LX, 2000 CV base. The 88 and 93 were upgraded to 3.55L though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                                Originally posted by gadget73
                                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                                Originally posted by dmccaig
                                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X