PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Evolving Wagon Plans

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

The Quarterhorse can do I think 4 programs if you wire up the selector. I think it can switch on the fly too.

The spacer is more useful for heat insulation than anything else. It helps keep the upper from heat soaking so the air charge is cooler. The runner length change probably doesn't affect things all that much. You'll need at least a 3/8 spacer to clear the fuel rail anyway.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

don't think the 1" spacer is gonna clear a grand marquis hood. 1/2" probably.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Uhh, guys... I found a used mustang turbo kit for $300, only thing missing is the intercooler, apparently. https://columbus.craigslist.org/pts/...816007086.html
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Remember... you do want to actually drive this right? Project creep is a real thing.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

A supercharger would be better. More low end torque. Turbo lag is a thing, especially if the turbo isn't properly sized. Turbos are also prone to bearing failure if the oil supply isn't right. Run them dry or dirty and the bearings wipe out, then you're SOL. A wiggle test on the turbine shaft will usually tell you enough about it to make a judgement but if its way too cheap its probably for a reason.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Here's some beefy injectors (which I think fit) and a lot of parts that don't, but somebody here might be able to use. There's an ON3 turbo kit for a 2V 4.6 pretty cheap if anyone is interested, guy says "needs waste gate(s)" but I don't know/don't think it comes with the turbo either. https://columbus.craigslist.org/pts/...802476483.html
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

probably means blow off valve. Most turbos have an internal wastegate, but the BOV is needed to keep the turbo from beating the crap out of itself every time you shut the throttle after a pull. Unless he means the actuator, thats external. The wastegate is a flappy thing inside the turbine (exhaust side) housing. Basically as it opens, it lets exhaust bypass the turbine in order to control boost pressure.

White collar, and a red neck P72Ford's Avatar

I would stay the naturally aspirated route. A turbo system is going to be a significant amount of work, with the risk of reliability issues.

I am currently in the planning stages of a push-rod 302 for my '90 LX. I wanted to do a Coyote swap, but at the end of the day even though the engine is cheap, the rest of the swap is not.

I have looked at a number of OTS cam grinds, and I had at one time actually settled on the Anderson N41 (mine is not a fuel mileage build). However, a custom ground cam from Ed Curtis (FlowTech Induction) is only $400. Given the nature of your build, I would definitely say that is your best option. A little more expensive, but if the performance and especially drive-ability is even marginally better, an additional $70-$150 is a small price to pay.
    **1965 Ford Mustang Coupe: Currently on the Rotisserie, 306/T5/4.10s Long Term Street/ Strip Project
    **1990 Ford Mustang LX Hatchback: 5.0, 5 spd, 4.10s; 30K original miles Vineyard car
    **2008 CVPI, Ex MSP Unit #420: 4.6, 3.55TL Flowmaster 10 knock offs, dark tint, JD Blitz Black, DD, CHALKBOARD
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG): 103, Cobra Speedsters, Cosmetics
    **2014 Ram 1500 QCSB Express 4WD Hemi/8spd TF/3L21 Truck Duties; Boesch Built, Cosmetics

Found some used BBK headers (probably the 1515s) for $125, I know they're hit or miss with the GT40P heads, but hopefully I'll be getting the AFR heads put on. Think I should just go ahead & pick these up?

I'm debating whether or not to have the bottom end checked/refreshed on whatever motor I get, and having the rings done too when the heads get put on.

What's a decent ballpark price for an engine rebuild? Are there any shortcuts? Like I found this 302 roller block already 30-over to build a 306 for $300. https://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts...822096711.html

Vs getting a block for $50-100 https://columbus.craigslist.org/pts/...811944310.html

Obviously there are going to be some costs to get things checked out to make sure the motor is worth building. I'm going to try to talk to a couple machine shops here and see how much a build would run. I know short blocks are like $2300 from summit.

I mean it would probably be cheaper and easier just to get the Explorer motor and have a machine shop out in PA slap the heads and intake on with a cam, and trust that the bottom end is going to hold up.

Fastest Box In South Jersey 86VickyLX's Avatar

Like a machine shop rebuild? You're looking at about 700-1100 bucks or more depending on what all you're having the machine shop do. I had the block bored, a few broken bolts extracted, rotating assembly installed, cam installed and degreed, brass core plugs, etc. With parts and whatnot I think I paid 900. I installed the heads, timing cover, water pump, oil pump, oil pan and whatnot myself.
    "Vicky" 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX ..................................."Blue" 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Vicky
    Too much stuff to list in my signature...
    Blue
    Mods So Far:
    5.0 HO Swap from 92 Cougar, GT40 Intakes With Remanufactured GT40P Heads, Contour Cooling Fans, Autodimming Mirror With Compass, Frankensteined but fully functional JBL Premium Sound System, Working A/C, Big Front Brake Swap, more mods to come soon!

i have a short block in the shed that the tree fell on if we go the rebuild route.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Got the shorty headers for $100 & the guy threw in Ford Racing valve covers for $40 more. I see no interface for posting pics but they're matte black with red Ford symbol and Ford Racing text. I hope they fit/work. https://twitter.com/SexCpotatoes/status/1101624040970772480
    Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 03-01-2019 at 10:21 PM.

Found a 351W the guy claims is a "factory rebuild." haven't called yet to find out the story. I know the AFR 1402 heads will fit a 351, just don't know if I would need to look for different intakes or whatever, if the budget allowed a jump to that.

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/p...829706191.html

Now I'm wondering what injectors to go with, as I'm seeing some 42lb flow-matched injectors on ebay for like $59 (I don't know if they fit the motor). Because I googled the part number of some 30lb injectors I found on CL used for $150, apparently they've got refurb 30 lb sets cheaper than that including shipping.

Go big with injectors. Biggest you can afford. You settle out the rest in the tune. You will always have enough injector for future upgrades then.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Fastest Box In South Jersey 86VickyLX's Avatar

Yes you need different intake. 351w is wider. What year is the 351? That will determine what you can do with it.
    "Vicky" 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX ..................................."Blue" 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Vicky
    Too much stuff to list in my signature...
    Blue
    Mods So Far:
    5.0 HO Swap from 92 Cougar, GT40 Intakes With Remanufactured GT40P Heads, Contour Cooling Fans, Autodimming Mirror With Compass, Frankensteined but fully functional JBL Premium Sound System, Working A/C, Big Front Brake Swap, more mods to come soon!

I haven't called on that 351w yet. Getting that, having the heads put on, then converting it to fuel injection (or buying the $$$$ right aftermarket intakes) would probably be pricier than just having a machine shop rebuild on that short block Scottmang has in the shed. I might call at the end of the week, but unless an intake also falls into my lap for a too-good-to-be-true price, probably have to pass on it.

Too bad the CL ad's gone, someone was selling a set of 8 used ID1000 injectors that fit fox mustangs for like $450obo IIRC. It's already halfway through March, and I have a $25 summit racing discount code, so I'm going to have to start ordering parts and stuff soon. I'm sure I will have much firmer deadlines when Scott has his shop built and ready, and tows the car over from Skippyville.

There are a few machine shops out Scott's way, it's too bad there aren't more google reviews on them posted.

all the ones down here that i used are closed up. there is the machine shop in pine grove that we have been using for about the past 7 yrs. he does good work and his prices are reasonable. i will continue to use him. driving up there is no big deal, it's near the appalachian trail.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234