No announcement yet.

Evolving Wagon Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The prices on everything are just sick nowadays. Ive priced out my 5 speed swap bits over a year or two ago now. Looking at them lately and the prices have jumped a couple hundo on the major component.... aka the trans. All other bits have risen in price as well.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yeah why the shit are T5's so pricy? They aren't really special and were in just about everything for a long time. I just don't get it. And the built ones go for more than a tremec. Weird.

Comment

Here's some of the (re)reading I've been doing on turbos. Bookmarked this back in the day because the information about turbos is really universally applicable, and explained decently. http://www.allpar.com/fix/holler/slant-six-turbo.html

Okay, maybe not universal because it mainly discusses carbed applications, but a lot less work, just add tune for EFI stuff.
        Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 12-17-2018, 03:45 PM.
        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Hmmm, never thought of turbo as a mileage investment, but if one is good, two is better right? If i go twin-turbo will my fuel economy double?

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
            Hmmm, never thought of turbo as a mileage investment, but if one is good, two is better right? If i go twin-turbo will my fuel economy double?
            only if they're tiny enough
            Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

I found this twin turbo Mustang drivetrain for $3500 https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pt...746466939.html

But I'm reconsidering the turbo idea now. Because that link that I posted before about turbocharging the slant 6, on closer reading, said if your compression is 9:1+ then you don't see quite as much efficiency improvement from adding a turbo. Through further reading, I figured out that you can just flip the mustang headers upside down so they point forward when adding a turbo or two.

I found this thread googling around about building a 302 for fuel economy https://www.fordmuscleforums.com/all...que-302-a.html (some of the numbers are off, other posters pointed out in the thread).

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ford...ngine-buildup/ I'm thinking the AFR heads are going to be the way to go, but I'm curious if there's a better/best higher torque cam or intake combination to use with them for maximum efficiency.
              Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 01-03-2019, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Turbos can add efficiency, but most people don't use them in that way. Its usually all about adding power, and if not done correctly it makes for an unreliable engine. I'd have a real hard time buying a used turbo motor without an extremely good idea of it's history and build. That particular one is squarely into the realm of power with a 302 where they are very prone to head gasket failures and general other trouble.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Okay, so I just recently got an awesome deal on some of the AFR Street Renegade 1402 heads, and a real '93? Cobra upper intake, not the chineseium knockoff from a forum member on here. Shipping was expensive and the exploder lower matches the Cobra intake (and I may have the lower sent out to be ported when the engine is obtained) so I didn't bother having the cobra lower sent out to Scott's. They came with 1.6 RR etc, so it's time to start thinking about a cam, head gasket, all the other gaskets and things for the motor. And start looking into if the Mustang A9P with (what sly told me) the burnt com port pin on the chip that I have can be repaired/chip replaced, hopefully.

Of course, with the new heads, it opens up the options on headers so I can run ebay chinese specials, or look for a deal on CL. I won't have to worry about getting GT40P compatible headers, & I'll have ported heads with a normal/decent spark plug angle.

Here's an article about testing the non-smog AFR 1399 heads (not the exact same I know), they did some option changing and slapped them on a mostly stock motor with a custom cam and picked up 63 rwhp & 37 ft-lbs of torque, then with the chip tune boosted it to 80 rwhp gain & 53 ft-lbs. The 302hp result is the same as the newer Marauder IIRC http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...low-redefined/

Scott recommended TMOSS for the porting, I'll have to message him eventually to find out how much the port job would be and when he would have time to do it. I guess you can pick up 10-15hp porting the lower intake.

I found a used Ford Racing alphabet cam X303, for $100 (1/2 price of a new one), but that's way too hot for a street driven car and fuel economy would suuuuck. https://meadville.craigslist.org/pts...801653243.html
                  Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 02-08-2019, 06:51 AM.

Comment

The cam they used in the story actually works good - this coming from a fan of low rpm torque cams. Looks like it actually made the 4000-5000 usable instead of falling off like stock while not giving up much down low. Most cam swaps in articles advertise huge gains but they happen above 5500+ and give up so much down low.
                    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Thanks, Tiggie, I'm open to any suggestions for the cam, of course. I know the XE258HR is what a lot of guys here recommend because it keeps the low end grunt intact, with similar specs https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-35-510-8

But if it's only $13 more it may make sense to go with the custom ground cam.

They might actually be 1.7 RRs, I do know the head bolt holes are 1/2 instead of 7/16" so I will need to buy $100 spacer kit from Summit.
                      Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 02-08-2019, 09:03 AM.

Comment

If you're going with that setup a XE258 is to small, and im not talking about all out power, i mean for the setup in general... you'll be limiting your power and torque. go with at least a 264, or better yet the 270. They both have excellent low end torque and wont limit you in the higher RPM's. For fuel injection go with the 114, not the 112, the wider lobe separation is easier on the fuel injection and makes it a bit easier to tune, plus it will give you a wider, flatter power band.
                        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

i gotta source a motor and wait for the ground to freeze again.......yesterday i went muddin in my friend daves ranger. it sunk up to the wheels in the yard like 6" from the property line...it slid on me.....old f-250 pulled it out, but if i get the f-250 in the mud and stuck i'm sol. was able to pull the ranger from the driveway.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Tmoss did my Explorer lower, no complaints. Turnaround was fairly quick too, I think he had it less than a week.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

parts are stored in the house safely for now.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Keep in mind I kind of want the highest horsepower possible on this build, but decent fuel economy if I keep my foot out of it as well. I was thinking about researching those chip tuners or something you could keep a dual setup and flip a toggle switch to engage the real power.

I did read that some of the Mustang guys use a 1" phenolic spacer put between the upper and lower intake (if I'm reading correctly), to lengthen the intake runners and slightly increase air-flow/speed. And that still fits under the hood.

But for now I've been doing some reading/research on Head Gasket Technology/Materials, and stuff: http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...et-technology/

I also found this link that supposedly tells you the exact part numbers you need to use for head gaskets for various AFR heads: http://www.online-racer.com/afr_165cc.htm

I'm lazy, I just want somebody to tell me "buy this, this, and this, these are the best gaskets at a decent price, your compression ratio will be X:X:X, you should make around 320-400hp & get 20-28mpg" <-I know it won't be this high. 18/23 is a good wagon mileage, but if I can get that and have great butt dyno feel/gobs of power on tap, I'll be happy. I guess anything over 325hp I would have to upgrade to 30lb+ injectors etc.

Another thing to keep in mind, is I get 89 gas for the price of 87 here all day long. So timing can be advanced a hair to require/take advantage of the small octane boost provided by high quality gas, and I can deal with the extra expense of buying 89 when out of town or on road trips. I'm sure it's not much boost, but every bit helps, amiright?

Comment

Working...
                                X