No announcement yet.

Evolving Wagon Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes you need different intake. 351w is wider. What year is the 351? That will determine what you can do with it.

Comment

I haven't called on that 351w yet. Getting that, having the heads put on, then converting it to fuel injection (or buying the $$$$ right aftermarket intakes) would probably be pricier than just having a machine shop rebuild on that short block Scottmang has in the shed. I might call at the end of the week, but unless an intake also falls into my lap for a too-good-to-be-true price, probably have to pass on it.

Too bad the CL ad's gone, someone was selling a set of 8 used ID1000 injectors that fit fox mustangs for like $450obo IIRC. It's already halfway through March, and I have a $25 summit racing discount code, so I'm going to have to start ordering parts and stuff soon. I'm sure I will have much firmer deadlines when Scott has his shop built and ready, and tows the car over from Skippyville.

There are a few machine shops out Scott's way, it's too bad there aren't more google reviews on them posted.
      Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

all the ones down here that i used are closed up. there is the machine shop in pine grove that we have been using for about the past 7 yrs. he does good work and his prices are reasonable. i will continue to use him. driving up there is no big deal, it's near the appalachian trail.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Okay, I just got an Explorer lower for $50, it's a '97 so it looks like no EGR. I don't have to pass emissions, so that's getting deleted, do I have to plug anything in the upper intake or buy any spacers or anything (besides the tune of course)? I'm sending it out to Tmoss for a port job, then having him ship it to Scottmang. Have to figure out packing/insurance. I have to get at least a 70mm throttle body, if anyone has a spare for a decent price, I'm interested. I was supposed to get one from 1980c10 years ago sometime after I bought the '91 off him, when he upgraded his mustang, but that never happened.

Also, I couldn't find the option for ordering from one warehouse when possible on rockauto. I think I may be limited to adding every part option for hoses/gaskets/belts/etc to my cart and figuring out manually how to get it in to the lowest number of shipments, and comparing it against pricing on amazon and summit where I wouldn't have to pay shipping.

I had a $25 off $150+ code for summit from a promotional postcard/mailer that will expire in a few days at the end of March, so I went ahead and ordered the ARP head bolt bushings/spacer kit to make the 1/2" holes on the heads mount with the 7/16" studs the block will require. I also ordered the 1/2" phenolic ford racing intake spacer (though the reviews on it are mixed) and we may need to get some QUALITY bolts to mount it properly. So head's up, Scott, at least one box of parts is on the way so far.
          Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

do you want a 351w?......if so, let me know
            I'm not completely oblivious to reality, I just choose to reject it when it doesn't line up with my opinions. (thanx Thain!)

Comment

97 had egr passages. The 98 was the maybe year.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                97 had egr passages. The 98 was the maybe year.
                Thanks! Sent my dad after the part the other day, and he tossed it in the shed. I have to figure out prepping it for shipping, but haven't looked at it yet. I'll keep the EGR if it's there, for + cruising economy.

Called and talked to Dave about the 351, but probably going to pass, same potential big intake or fuel injection conversion costs etc, though the oil pan's already right for our cars.

Comment

I’ve shipped a lower intake to tmoss for port work before.

With anything I ship out I try to make it at least 20 foot drop test proof. Lol. Thick cardboard box with extra cardboard inside to protect it as well as lots of bubble wrap. Everything survived just fine. I got mine blasted and painted by him as well. It came out nice.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I shipped one to him as well. I think I zip tied it to a scrap of wood to keep it from moving around too much in the box and reinforced the box with corner boards from work. they're basically cardboard angle iron, good stuff if you want to beef up a box.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Love me some cardboard angle irons for shipping stuff.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The head mount bushings, 1/2" phenolic spacer, battery to switch cable and switch to starter cable, motor mounts, permadry valve cover gaskets and oil pan gasket should all be at Scott's by now.

I have a new cap & rotor, wires (but no plugs yet). Also have the 3g ALT, HD water pump, double roller timing gears and chain, as well as power steering pump/reservoir. I ordered the 2 belts and radiator hoses the other day.

Anyone have any suggestions for EGR, oil sender, thermostat, water pump and other gaskets? I don't know which head gaskets to order, because different thickness can change the compression ratio. Didn't know if there were certain brands to avoid or anything. There are a couple part number suggestions mentioned on the AFR 1402 head product pages for head gaskets to use.

I still need to get a MAF & injectors (there's this set on CL for $225 that would be about an hour drive https://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts...854210095.html ). Or there's a super pricey option of IDI1000 injectors for $800 obo https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/p...848720638.html

Comment

no "calibrated" MAF. You want a normal Ford one, the tune will take care of whatever size injectors you go with.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                            Love me some cardboard angle irons for shipping stuff.
                            It's probably going out tomorrow, ended up putting a second layer of cardboard in the box, wrapped in bubble wrap, then corner reinforcement at all 4 corners, also along the sides of the intake, and at the top diagonally in the box. Going to wrap it in gorilla tape so it all holds for sure.

Comment

I did find a set of 39lb Cobra 4.6 injectors offered on CL but I don't know if they use a different plug end and would need a set of adapters @ $100+. Does anybody happen have a helpful list of what vehicles came from ford with the red top (30lb) or bigger injectors so I can use those to search for new or replacement ones?

Comment

Okay, found this good guide on injector sizing, plug style, etc, and potential HP limits on each size of injector both naturally aspirated and forced induction. https://lmr.com/products/mustang-fue...tor-size-chart

Comment

Working...
                                X