No announcement yet.

Evolving Wagon Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are gonna go through the trouble of doing 4.6 swap then get a PI engine. 95' was the year they were transitioning from OBD1 to OBD2 so it still had the 91-94 style intake setup. Those engines are more gutless than the 96-2000 NPI engines.

Comment

but the MPG great. I miss getting 26-28 mpg on the highway with the original engine. I can't do better than 22mpg any more (gears also have a lot to do with that).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

diesel power. You know you wanna. Find a wrecked Sprinter and transplant the driveline. That would give you a Mercedes powered Mercury, it would jive with my Beemer powered Lincoln.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Merc powered Merc... hmm...

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

However shitty it would sound, i sadly still think the mustang v6 is a better swap than the rest. Waaaay more power and still get the good mileage. If a 3.7 will push my shitty work van around it'll definitely move a box panther.

4.6 and aod-e wouldn't be a bad package, but if it's performance you want, it's a long way off. Gadgo's diesel swap would do better. Unless you're doing all the work yourself at minimal cost, you're better off getting an HO motor and computer IMO. Swaps are for shops. I don't have a shop, time, or a shitload of tools so easier is better. Your experience may vary...

Comment

I was just looking at this from a cost and feasibility perspective. Out of the 3, Mustang v6, Exploder, 4.6, that's the order of descending costs (and performance numbers). A $200 ready to go (pretty bulletproof, no plastic intake, probably has another 116k in it) drivetrain, and the swap costs and ensuing wiring work looks like the cheapest way to get it on the road now. It would free up some of the money I was going to have to earmark for the Exploder Motor swap for other car repairs (big brakes and steering box replacement on the '91). There's a good possibility that I can save up after this, get the v6 (store it), AND get a supercharger kit eventually or installed while the swap is taking place in a year or 3.

I know there's nothing more permanent than a temporary fix, but I'm planning on putting my mom in it for now and possibly storing it winters, then full on HP restomadness later. This was from a running driving '95 and should it check out, it shouldn't need much freshening up/gaskets etc saving a great deal of cost.
              Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                4.6 and aod-e wouldn't be a bad package, but if it's performance you want, it's a long way off.
                Correct me if I'm wrong, but when I looked up 1995 Grand Marquis Specs online 4R70W was the transmission. '95 was the changeover year from what I read.
                Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

1995 models have the 4R70W.

My Cars:
                  -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                  -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                  -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                  -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

The explorer engine would be the least expensive to install. There's essentially NO changes to the wiring or plumbing. Just need a panther accessory set, timing cover, and oil pan IIRC.

Comment

I vote 3.7 V6 just because I want to see it done.

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
                        My nephew texted me the other day about his buddy's uncle having a '95 Grand Marquis with a bad frame, he's looking to sell the motor and transmission w/116k for $200. I told him I didn't need it, but then I realized this could be a really cheap way to get the '88 Colony Park on the road and dependable.

Now I know someone did the 302-into-aero IIRC, but has anyone done a mod-motor box? Without body swapping onto the aero/box frame of course.

I'm just spitballing here, but we were going to need to replace the motor mounts anyway. So correct me if I'm wrong here. I would need the '95 model year motor mounts (polyurethane if available, and possibly brackets?), the complete wiring harness with the motor and trans, computer, and transmission crossmember from the junk car. The custom stainless exhaust that was set up for the 302 may need some adaptation to hook up properly as well, hopefully it would fit under/around the 4R70W without trouble.

Also, I know the speedometer would not work at all because everything '90+ was electronic and AFAIK there's no place to hook to gears on the 4R70W. Also, it looks like the radiator would have to be the '95+ model because the images on Rock Auto show the trans cooler fittings and the input and output ports switch sides for the 4.6 vs the 5.0.

This is just a possibility, I'm not saying this is going to happen. I know the '95 w/dual exhaust is only 210hp & 270ft-lb of torque, and the curb weights are (3800-ish on the '95, & 4037 on the '88 CP). So it's not as good as doing the Exploder motor swap, but it saves me having to find an A9P right now etc. This might also put the 3.7 Mustang V6 swap back on the table in a year or two.

It would also allow me to throw more work Scott's way this year and send him my '91 for the big brake upgrade and steering box replacement (and maybe a rear end swap). So, any thoughts on if this is doable on a budget, etc? Any idea on HVAC adaptability between the '88 controls and the '95 motor and accessories? That's one thing I just realized might be completely different and inop.
                        speedometer would work fine. You'd just use the speedometer cable and vss from the wagon with the gear from the 95's vss. BTW you won't see anywhere near 210hp at the wheels. And they're oil burner NPI engine. Use the motor mounts and brackets from the 95. The trans mount will be the same. The stock grand marquis driveshaft will work.

Comment

1. I thought they had fixed the valve seals or whatever that caused the NPI to burn oil for the '95 MY.

2. I may just have to go with the Exploder Motor, because they are downright affordable right now. There's a bunch of '97-98s with between 91k-136k for between $275-350 available. Paying as much or more for a Mustang A9P as I pay for an entire engine is going to be particularly galling though.

Comment

I believe the oil seal problem was resolved in '95 or '96, not sure which. Whenever it converted to the plastic intake that was when the valve seals got fixed.

The mass air ECMs are getting stupid in price. I suspect they are getting more popular for EFI conversions on other cars, or people restoring Mustangs back to stock type configurations. It does make a fine control system for a non-Mustang though. Universal harnesses can be purchased and its a simple but good enough system that you can fit it and tune it for just about anything.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

'96 is where it was revised for the seals on the 4.6

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Okay, too lazy to make another thread, so now I'm researching parts, and posting here. I have found 3-5 places online selling the nigh unobtainium FRPP GT40-specific headers, for between $275-440 (the most expensive are the ceramic version, all the cheaper $275-375 ones are Jet-Hot coated, I guess the Mustang guys don't have anything bad to say about jet-hot, and it's got a limited lifetime warranty) one of them is even in Canada (I had to convert the pricing).

I found 2 sets of copper header gaskets on Amazon for $30, no reviews tho, I don't know if it's a good deal, haven't looked elsewhere besides Summit online for them. https://www.amazon.com/Copper-Header...shorty+headers

Motor mounts, I only see rubber on Summit, I've seen SOLID motor mounts on CL for Foxbody Mustangs, and I'm sure that's a do-not-want, so I'm open to suggestions, doubt you'd want poly in that location.

Felpro has the PermaDry gaskets for $26 on Summit https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...view/make/ford and $27 for a different rubber/steelcore set https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...view/make/ford I dunno, probably not worth the extra dollar unless it's taking you over the hump to free shipping. I'll also compare prices with Amazon, and I'm not above saving money with "warehouse deals" open/damaged box if they have been inspected by Amazon.

Oil pan gasket around $20 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...view/make/ford

Rear Main Seal, PTFE, rubber, timken, Fel-pro, all kinds of options from $15-30 https://www.summitracing.com/search/...rder=Ascending

I guess the Left Front Tie Rod End needs to be replaced, so if anyone has any suggestions for the best quality one to get, post away.

The Mustang A9P is going to be $325-350 on Ebay, kind of have to give priority to people who have sold a lot of them that work.

I'm probably forgetting something, of course. I have HD water pump, double roller timing chain and gears, FAT rad, new cap rotor wires, etc here in the parts hoard here that I'll have to ship out to Scott.

Comment

Working...
                                X