No announcement yet.

Evolving Wagon Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

honestly I've always used boring-ass Fel-Pro exhaust gaskets and not had problems. As long as the header and head mating surfaces are properly flat you do not need fancy gaskets. Copper sheet actually has less ability to take up mismatch between the surfaces, though its not likely to burn away as quickly as a gasket will. If this is that multi-layer copper stuff thats basically a bunch of layers of copper foil, those will take up a lot more imperfection.

Motor mounts you have a choice of cheap-ass rubber or dead originals. Panther mounts don't interchange with Mustang ones, so there really isn't any option there unless you can find someone to modify a stock one into a solid block. I wouldn't advise it. The stock construction is such that even if the rubber goes to shit the motor can't really go anywhere. There is a substantial metal "strap" across the top of the mount so the amount of movement is limited.

Pan and VC gaskets are good. Also check Rockauto, I got a set of VC ones on clearance there for about 20 bucks.

TRE's I like Spicer or Moog parts. Consider replacing both ends on that side and the sleeve with it, sometimes the sleeves don't let go, though this one being a southern car you've got a better chance of success.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The tie rod end is from the old 89. A cheap china part. I needed it on a sunday to replace a broken cheap china part that I needed on a Sunday.
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Okay, I dropped off some cash to Scott when I was out there picking up parts, to get the engine purchased and get the freshening up started. So now I'm looking for parts. And suggestions of course. It looks like there are a few '96 GT40 Explorer motors available within 80 miles of Scott, so I won't have to spend big bucks for the Ford Racing FRPP headers that have clearance for the spark plug angle.

Since Scott said he was planning on doing the head gasket, I'm wondering if I should get a set of AFR or Twisted Wedge heads, if the budget allows. While I would love to hit 375-400hp, I think I'm better off long term having the wagon motor put together for economy, not performance. A big cam increases fuel usage, because the only way you get power is to increase fuel and air flow through the motor. Since the FRPP headers aren't required, I'm thinking I may have enough in the budget to have a turbo put on. That would give me plenty of power on demand, but increased economy for everyday driving.

So, any suggestions for a quality, properly sized, single turbo for a freshened Explorer motor? Any special cam duration or spring setup for the heads? 1.6 or 1.7 Roller Rockers? I forget which of the two are better all around. I guess I should have the oil pump/pickup replaced too, but should I get a 7qt or high capacity oil pan then? I've read some rumors about ON3 systems being shite except for maybe their piping/intercooler setup, that their turbos are hit or miss on quality. So, any suggestions?
        Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 12-13-2018, 05:57 PM.
        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Oh, and can I keep A/C with a turbo, can the turbo basically be installed where the smog pump was?
          Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

You can technically put a turbo anyplace you want as it is not belt driven. It is more common for them to mount directly to an exhaust manifold. That is not a rule though.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

any interest in a high mileage but excellent running stock HO out of a Mark VII? I have a set of P heads that have been rebuilt too.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                any interest in a high mileage but excellent running stock HO out of a Mark VII? I have a set of P heads that have been rebuilt too.
                Depending on the cost, this may make sense, part of the reason for going with a '96 Explorer motor was the bestest intake. I don't know how much you might want for it (vs how much I'd have to spend $400-500 for the '96 motor + head freshening costs), or how clean it is, if it might need new rings or a rebuild or anything. Then again, with the P heads then we're back to $400 FRPP headers and no turbofication. I dunno, but then again, I could save some cash and get a Mark VII computer (I think one may have come with the car), and use the working Tripminder from the '88 in it. Maybe PM me on how much you'd want for it and how many miles/oil usage etc. I'll definitely consider anything that gets it on the road faster. Selling the '02 GM to my nephew on Tuesday means I'm down to 3 cars for 3 drivers, and still no heat in the '82.

Comment

kinda tossing around the idea of parting out my Mark VII. Its got rot problems that I'm not inclined to deal with and now with the body damage from my fuckup this summer I'm short on shits to give. Engine is in the car still. Probably will wait till it gets warm again to really do anything with it, I sure don't feel motivated to actually do much in the winter. Its near 250k, uses no oil.

Comment

Get the mark 7 coal roller as a replacement.

kinda tossing around the idea of parting out my Mark VII. Its got rot problems that I'm not inclined to deal with and now with the body damage from my fuckup this summer I'm short on shits to give. Engine is in the car still. Probably will wait till it gets warm again to really do anything with it, I sure don't feel motivated to actually do much in the winter. Its near 250k, uses no oil.
                    ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
                      Okay, I dropped off some cash to Scott when I was out there picking up parts, to get the engine purchased and get the freshening up started. So now I'm looking for parts. And suggestions of course. It looks like there are a few '96 GT40 Explorer motors available within 80 miles of Scott, so I won't have to spend big bucks for the Ford Racing FRPP headers that have clearance for the spark plug angle.

Since Scott said he was planning on doing the head gasket, I'm wondering if I should get a set of AFR or Twisted Wedge heads, if the budget allows. While I would love to hit 375-400hp, I think I'm better off long term having the wagon motor put together for economy, not performance. A big cam increases fuel usage, because the only way you get power is to increase fuel and air flow through the motor. Since the FRPP headers aren't required, I'm thinking I may have enough in the budget to have a turbo put on. That would give me plenty of power on demand, but increased economy for everyday driving.

So, any suggestions for a quality, properly sized, single turbo for a freshened Explorer motor? Any special cam duration or spring setup for the heads? 1.6 or 1.7 Roller Rockers? I forget which of the two are better all around. I guess I should have the oil pump/pickup replaced too, but should I get a 7qt or high capacity oil pan then? I've read some rumors about ON3 systems being shite except for maybe their piping/intercooler setup, that their turbos are hit or miss on quality. So, any suggestions?
                      Stock mustang HO or F-cam are both supposed to be really good with turbos. Far as On3, you can buy their kit without turbo and just source a better head unit. If you don't want to spend a shitload on heads, find some normal gt40s or if you're lucky, windsor jr. or sr.'s pop up occasionally and sell much cheaper than aluminum heads. Also stronger than aluminum if you're running boost, although they don't shed heat quite as fast. P heads are more trouble than they're worth. Far as GOOD heads go, AFR is hard to beat. Twisted Wedge are good heads but require different pistons depending on how much lift your cam has. Again, more trouble. Other good inline heads are RHS or Dart. I have edelbrocks because i got them cheap. As a mild head, Eddy's are ok but don't make the numbers like the AFR's do.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                        Get the mark 7 coal roller as a replacement.
                        if I didn't dislike the early dashboard so much, maybe. Honestly my favorite is the one I have, the 90-92 LSC SE in either black or graphite.

Comment

The exhaust flanges bolted up to stock lincoln/mustang headers
                          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

if I didn't dislike the early dashboard so much, maybe. Honestly my favorite is the one I have, the 90-92 LSC SE in either black or graphite.
                            Swapping in your existing dashboard would not be an option? Would some components not work nicely with the diesel dash? Its easy for me to suggest these things so I guess another reason may be due to the amount of work it may take or the lack of motivation to undertake such a project.
                            ~David~

Comment

More work than I desire to do.

Comment

i see the ebay aluminum cyl heads... wow, i paid that much with shipping for my thumper e7's back in 2004.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                                X