Best new or used tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best new or used tires?

I am looking to replace the tires on my 2010 GM. Original size is 225/60 R17

I am wondering if there are certain brands or tires that tend to hold up better than other? If I go with new, I will not spend more than $90 per tire. That leaves me with limited options. Has anyone tried the cheaper off brands from places like Walmart/Tires plus/Discount Tire? I priced 2 different sets of Kendas (Kinnetica KR 17) and Kenda Vezda ECO (KR30) for under $400 installed and balanced. Don't even mention the name Goodyear to me, never buying them again unless it is an 80% or more discount.

If I go used, how far can I deviate from the original tire size and not dramatically affect handling?
    Will 235s and 215s still fit? My only concern is not to cause undue stress on the tires and wear them out prematurely, and just so I don't have really weird handling, corenering and braking. I am well aware of how different sizes affect the speedometer and Odometer. I have a set of dedicated snow tires on now, but 'tis the season for warmer weather and they need to come off very soon.
    Last edited by silverwhale; 03-25-2018, 05:29 PM.

For $90 you might be best going to firestone for new tires... they're not the best but I think they're better then most discount tire places.

Comment

Are you looking for just a standard all-season (or 3 season) tire?
      These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

You can get a Hankooks for $90 a piece.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/b...o-h724/p/10722

I would not buy a no name Walmart tire. Chinese rubber doesn't seem to last and wears out prematurely. I would sooner get used name brand tires than anything sold by Walmart.

Comment

I would not waste your money on the China brands that are the cheapest no known names. They do not do well with heat. I have bought Generals on sale. They have done well for me. Firestones for the money, they are ok. Hankooks are ok. Bridgestone are decent. (made by Firestone, just a bit better)
          Used, depending on if they are take offs (replaced when new) they are ok. Junkyard tires, be careful. Make sure they balance out before you buy. When a wreck happens, the belts shift and the tire distorts. It may look ok, but are not safe. Always see the vehicle the tires came off of. You could get a good deal on tires from a car that just broke, did not get wrecked. Used Michelin tires with under 1/2 new tire depth, never buy. A good rule is check the stamped date code on any tires you buy.
          Look at the whole tire deal, much the total price can be the installation, balance, taxes, valve stems, etc. There goes your $90 a tire deal.
          Last edited by Mainemantom; 03-25-2018, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FordMan77 View Post
            Are you looking for just a standard all-season (or 3 season) tire?

All season.

I have a set of dedicated snow tires.

Anyone have any experience with Kenda tires? They are made by Cooper I think.
            Last edited by silverwhale; 03-25-2018, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Another question, If I put 215s or 235s on will they fit and handle ok? 215 65r17s can be had for cheap even compared to 225s.

Comment

Ok, let me take a look and see what I can dig up. I'm always looking for/researching tires since I have 3 cars to keep up with.
                These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

If you park in a garage, avoid cheap tires. They may smell like poop... literally. The Primewell tires that were on my wife's car when my in-laws gave it to us were like that. Stunk up the garage and the car since one was used as a spare. Got rid of that crap quick. They never had an issue since they were parked in a carport and the original spare was still in the trunk at the time.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Kumho Solus TA11, Cooper CS5 Grand Touring look pretty good. They are in the $100/tire range so it won't break the budget. Might also get a discount if you buy 4 depending on where you get them. I usually check Tirerack, Ebay, Amazon, tirebuyer.com and 1010tires to compare prices and go from there.

Get the best tires you can afford. If you have to save up some more $$ to get better tires then do so.

Comment

Firestones were the best, longest-lasting tires i ever had on my '98. Back when i drove a lot, i went through 2 sets of goodyears in as many years. Put firestones on it and went another 5 years before selling the car. New owner only put tires on it a year ago, and i sold it to him about 3 years ago.

Comment

I like BFG /michillan for the price in some cases as the best bang for the bucks. dont like actually hate brigstone / Firestone dont care for Goodyear.
                        Am running some hankooks currently they seem good because they had sizes i needed others quit making.
                        best to get familiar with pricing and tire ratings for wear load ratings etc. Our cars are heavy so higher load ratings work out best.
                        So suggest looking at tire rack for info handling wet dry etc.
                        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I've been pretty happy with my Cooper CS5's. I quit buying really cheap tires a while ago when I realized they age poorly. I dont' wear tires out, so having them not fail in a few years from drying out is important to me.

I absolutely hate reading tire reviews online though. You get a range from "they look like tires, 5 stars" to "I used a completely inappropriate tire on my whatever and my aunt's friends' nephew's cat died. No stars" Every tire is the best, worst, cheapest, most expensive, best handling tire with no traction or ability to turn a corner or hold air but never leaks ever. Watch TireRack's test videos if you want some idea of how they perform. They actually measure the tire's performance compared to others.
                          Last edited by gadget73; 03-26-2018, 09:21 PM.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I too gave up on cheap tires. As many miles as I put on our cars I need to know they will hold up AND be safe. Seeing as how the tire is the only contact path between me and the road I'd rather have something good vs. cheap.

I have Michelin Defenders on my 03 LX Sport and they seem to be a great tire. Haven't pushed them hard in the wet yet to find out when they give up, but will soon. They did fine in the light snow we had. Not exactly in the OP price range though.

And yea, the reviews are taken with a large salt lick. I love to read about people that drive some shitbox econo-car 100mi. on a tire in the desert SW with no wind on a straight highway saying they are the best tires out there. I want to read the reviews of someone who drives it like they stole it for 45K miles through all kinds of weather. If they didn't stick it into the median in a torrential downpour then I will consider them.

Comment

I only use cheap tires on my trailer. The passenger vehicles get "best" rated tires.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X