Problem with steering.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with steering.

Hello guys!!! So I just bought my self a certified preowned 2016 Camry Hybrid, so I don’t drive my Grand Marquis that much.

I had it sitting for about 3 weeks and decided to drive it recently (also just put it for sale), and of course an issue arises.

The steering has very stiff points in it. It will be smooth, then VERY stiff in some points. When I turn the wheel in a turn, it will get stiff in a location and when I let go of the wheel so it comes back, it will get stuck in a spot and I would have to fight with the wheel to straighten out - very dangerous.

I don’t notice any groaning noises and the steering has fluid in it. When I drive it at speed, I notice the wheel will be extremely stiff when trying to steer it left, but it would be loose on the right. The alignment seems fine since the car drives very straight.

What could this be? what should I lube up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lower steering shaft is probably rusted up and seized. Ford had a recall out on them. What year is the car?

Comment

What he said, U joints in the steering shaft seizing up.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
        Lower steering shaft is probably rusted up and seized. Ford had a recall out on them. What year is the car?

Comment

2001 has the same issue, but wasn't included in the recall IIRC because too old.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

They have slightly different joint and shaft setups than theh 03+, but it still has that U joint under the brake booster, and thats probably your issue.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              They have slightly different joint and shaft setups than theh 03+, but it still has that U joint under the brake booster, and thats probably your issue.
              Fortunately for me, my car sold. So now I am without a panther and now have the Camry hybrid [emoji1554]*♀️

Comment

Working...
              X