Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P/N Please, 1986 MGM 5.0 Thick Film Control Module

Greetings!

Looking to purchase a FoMoCo thick film control module for my car.
    Do not want after market China junk but can not find the FoMoCo p/n of the module.

Thanks in advance!!

Motorcraft DY1284 is the correct one for our cars.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

E6SF-12A297-A2A is the number on mine, which crosses to a DY-504 in the 2005 Motorcraft Catalog I have. I don’t think the 504 is in production any more, and was replaced by possibly the DY-1076, also out of production...

Which leads to the DY1284 that KW mentioned. The most current Motorcraft catalog I have access to says that the 1284 replaces both the 504 and 1076.

There is not a huge difference in most gray TFI modules from my understanding. Any of those numbers listed above you can find should work fine. And likely others... just don’t use a black one.

I just ordered three 504’s on eBay. I’m not hopeful they will show due to the sellers lack of communication but i’d Be glad to share one if they do show up and you need one.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Thanks in advance gents!

Comment

Hate to be "that guy" but the Motorcraft one is just one of the Made in China junk ones, with a label molded into it, for 4x the price and a worse warranty.

I had worked out which one of the companies makes it, and have since forgotten, but it's exactly identical inside and out to one of them.

Current driver: wagon
          Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
          | 88 TC | 91 GM
          Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
          Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

I've been running one of Napa's basic modules on the Towncar for years now without any problems.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I had a BWD from Oreilly in the Mad Marquis since the ECM fried (capacitor let the magic smoke out). Still worked like a champ when I sold it. Well over 5 years.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

My mechanic used to have a test one that plugged in just to get the car running and moved, where can such an emergency piece be purchased?

Comment

There is no spoon. You have to actually install it for it to work. There are connections up into the distributor that have to be made or it won't spark.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Buy a new distributor and drop it in. I've had at least one instance where I saved Gadget73 with a spare distributor when his mark vii died on him on the road. Turned out the pick up broke apart. TFI module was good.

Comment

I actually still have that original TFI around here somewhere. OEM Ford part from 1991 with well over 200K on it. Rebuilding the distributor isn't so much hard as its annoying. I used a press to get the gear off and back on, you can use a gear puller to remove and a length of pipe and a hammer to drive it back on if you don't manage to destroy it in the process. Barring interest in screwing with it, replace the distributor.

Comment

Working...
                      X