No announcement yet.

1980 Sound System Options Brochure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, now if that exists, that's cool. I hate knobs and analog dials on pretty much anything that doesn't resemble a Marantz 2275.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

On the 84 8-Track... digging through the Master Parts Catalog; lists no such animal for an 84. They were widely available in 83 and prior, but no model Ford/Merc/Lincoln lists one for 84. Not to say that it doesn't exist since one source says it does and other says it does not.

It's possible they cut the option after printing the owners manual.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Might be. There is a listing in the 84 Towncar owner's manual I have too for the same radio. They made those manuals ahead of time so cutting an option definitely is a possibility.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
          It's possible they cut the option after printing the owners manual.
          Most likely this.

The 8-track options in the brochures all stop at 83.

Comment

I thought 83 still had the larger radio? If not I’m wrong and that 8-track must have been 83 too

Pops 81 Mark VI Givenchy had the larger radio w/8 track. He was bitter his 85 Town Car had a regular cassette

Ok... edit. I’m wrong 83 had the smaller radio so it had to 83 - 84
            Last edited by tjc78; 04-07-2018, 02:29 PM.
            2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
            2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
            Past Panthers
            1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
            if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
              I thought 83 still had the larger radio? If not I’m wrong and that 8-track must have been 83 too

Pops 81 Mark VI Givenchy had the larger radio w/8 track. He was bitter his 85 Town Car had a regular cassette
              83 was the last year.

Stores stopped selling new 8 track players in 82

Comment

I'm excited, I just picked up this Quadraphonic 8-Track for cheap. Came out of a Lincoln Versaillis

Comment

"Quadrasonic"
                  Just a nice marketing term to say "four channel"

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                    "Quadrasonic"
                    Just a nice marketing term to say "four channel"
                    Its actually really cool, its 4 independent channels, not like typical car stereos where the front and rear are the same sounds left and right, Quad 8-track tapes use 4 out of the 8 tracks on tape for one song vs the 2 per song a typical 8-track uses.

Typical 8-Track reader head and tape:

Quad 8-Track reader head and tape:

It makes for a really cool effect in the car.

Comment

There were a few quad systems in the late 70s, based on different implementations. The easy and obvious one is using 4 tape tracks, one per channel. The other systems use some manner of matrix encoding with a pilot tone to get 4 channels of information from a two channel source such as a turntable. More or less how FM stereo works, but its actually much closer to how Dolby surround worked in the pre-digital era. I can't remember if it was CD4 or QS that formed the basis for Dolby Surround, but thats what it was based on.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If you might plan to use it in your car. Get the Ford part number from bezel trim on that Lincoln Versailles. It is possible to get a cross to a CV with a few changes.
                        Are you going to get that unit refurbished ?

Comment

So what impact does that have on sound quality? I've never really understood 8 track vs typical tape. Seems there is more hi-end support for cassette compared to 8-track so I assume that is "better." How many RMS watts per channel is it? Also, is it rated for 4, 8 or some other ohm-age? Doesn't strike me as audiophile grade. Then again, most of the aftermarket car stuff I've seen of that era didn't either.

Comment

The sound quality of a Quad (Q8) is the same as a regular 8-track.

When you have a player and tape that are in good working shape the quality of the 8-track is a lot better than cassette. The problem comes when you get a worn tape or player and you start to get wow and flutter.

I'm doing it for the posterity of it, to keep the forgotten physical media alive, to be different. not to be an audiophile.

Comment

I hear ya. I have a friend who dumped all of his old cassettes on me, these were vinyl recordings he made back in the day. I don't see too many 8 tracks around where I'm at. Cassettes & records a plenty but not much for 8 tracks and people want a bunch for them...

Comment

8 track is just 4 stereo tape channels. Roughly speaking, take a cassette and double the width, and thats 8 track. Cassette is 4 track, 2 channels in each direction. In theory you should be able to get better sound from the 8 track given the higher tape speed and wider track width, but in reality between the lesser tape media and lack of Dolby noise reduction it does not actually sound better. Add to that some degradation of the tapes and the machine and it gets worse. Even new cassette are lousy compared to how they were in the heyday. New tapes are basic ferric material, the crappy brown tape that hisses. Its not the good chrome, and I don't think anyone is using Dolby NR on anything either.

One of the big failings of 8 track was the mechanical durability of the tape mechanism. Its a fairly complex little device with the endless loop arrangement. It all drives off a pinch roller, no takeup wheels. If the roller fails, the tape goes with it. If the tape itself starts to break down and gets sticky, or when the little foam pad on the back side of the head starts to come apart and leave crumbs and goo on the tape so it sticks together, its done for. That and they stopped being made in the early 80s so your selections can be limited.

Comment

Working...
                                X