Stall and misfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stall and misfire

Well I'm back here with a similar issue I had before...but it's changed. Originally I had a problem where the car would stall when sitting at a light and not restart. I ended up replacing a faulty aftermarket pickup with a stock ford one....

Yesterday as I was coming up a small hill, under load, the car suddenly stalled. I've never had it stall under load. After about 2 minutes of sitting there it was able to restart. In addition I noticed at a certain load point it seemed to be misfiring. Initially when the car stalled I thought it may be my fantom ignition problem coming back from the dead, but with the misfire now I'm not so sure. Before the winter the carb was tuned using a wideband oxygen sensor and ran beautifully... I'm wondering if sitting caused some gunk to form in the carb...or what! I've driven this thing maybe 900 miles without issue...

I've replaced literally every part of the ignition system save for the wiring (which ive tested) and the entire dizzy assembly. Any ideas?
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

I'd start with the simple thing, fuel. Gas does not last as long sitting as it used to and definitely could've gunked up the works. I'd clean out the carb and see how everything looks/smells in there. Get some fresh fuel and see what she does.

Comment

I'd run some hi octane gas, a can of Seafoam, and put in a new fuel filter. It's kind of overkill, but eliminates a hand full of fuel system problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
      Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
      Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Welp, pull the float bowls and see if there's any residue. Typically though, if you've got gum the idle circuits & float mechanism are the first to show symptoms. With my carb, the float would stick and then dump all kinds of gas down the intake. I'm leaning towards ignition issue. Find a known good dizzy, swap and see what happens. I know you replaced the pick-up but that doesn't mean you couldn't be running into the same song & dance again...

Edit: It just occurred to me.. Are you getting fuel? Is the pump working properly? Is the filter plugged? Does it run at all currently?
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Dead spot in the TPS? If you have an analog multimeter, you can check the sweep for opens/shorts. If the needle on the meter jumps at the same point, sweeping back and forth slowly, you've got a bad spot and it will be confusing the ECM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
            Dead spot in the TPS? If you have an analog multimeter, you can check the sweep for opens/shorts. If the needle on the meter jumps at the same point, sweeping back and forth slowly, you've got a bad spot and it will be confusing the ECM.
            I'm pretty sure he's talking about the 82. Which is some aftermarket carburetor.

Comment

Sorry I should have specified it's the LTD-S. 2150 Carb, no fuel infection. It runs fine. it just stalled out once, wouldnt restart for a couple minutes, then restarted. Fuel is probably 4 month old? maybe? Fresh fuel never hurt though. It conked out instantly, no rough running or signs of it stalling, it just conked out BANG!.

At this point if it is STILL the ignition, i might as well remove the entire system and replace it with a brand new one. wire, dizzy, everything. And im not willing to do that. It could be the pickup again, or it could be any of the new pieces ive replaced. It's a crap shoot
              Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 04-05-2018, 02:51 PM.
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

4 MONTH OLD fuel is enough for it to turn shitty used to happen to me all the time as creamy might sit for weeks to months. Get on the gas a bit and would miss and stumble. no issues with it any more using ACES 4 its a octane booster and the best fuel stabilizer i have ever used. whit it on one vehice that sat for 2 years started rite up and drove as it did when it was last run.
                Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Just for S&G, if it persists try using a jumper wire to supply power to the ignition system, bypassing the key switch. I'm half wondering if you have an intermittant power problem that drops ignition power to the coil or box. Also if that resistor wire hasn't been replaced, it could be the issue. You can bypass that short term but its not good for the coil or ignition box to do it for long.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ah... the old one... yeah... +1 on the crappy electrical. Is there a relay for the ignition bits or is it just fused/fuselink through the ignition switch? If there is a relay... may need to pinch connectors and check for corrosion/crud.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

pretty sure no relay
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If carb is clean, I’m thinking spark is getting weak then nonexistent.

I have a spare duraspark box out of an running 81 if you want it for shipping cost. I used to carry it as a spare in my 82. It’s got the yellow colored plastic where the wires come out and three connectors. PM if you think you could use it.
                        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                        X