No announcement yet.

Detriot area junking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My roof (attached 2-car garage on a 3/2 house ~1450 sqft ranch style single story) ran me about $8K. But that was mostly insurance money because hail/wind/bullet damage.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Im in the wrong business, but that got to be tough work, though.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Yep, just shy of 8 large. I had vents added to the detached garage and one added to the shed as well in addition to a vent for the bathroom fan which I'll have done eventually. Now I find myself looking at roofs, some have really shrunken nasty shingles. Makes me think they must be 30-40 years old if not older and wonder if they leak. I will not be replacing the roof again, will just repair leaks as they come up. According to the place that did mine I've got 20 years on their workmanship and 30 on the shingles. Saint Gobain LandMark Pro if that means diddly. Probably not.

I would have much rather paid my student loans off this year with that money. That & have my wheels redone along with new tires on my Firebird, buy a new headliner for it too. Lincoln needs a heater core so I haven't driven it. Can't do any of that now so I just took insurance off everything that isn't road worthy.
        Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 04-20-2018, 06:36 AM.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Ours wasn't that much, but the existing roof wasn't that bad so it didn't need to be stripped to wood, and obviously no wood repairs either. I want to say it was about 3K, roof is basically 30x30 up there, and we had a ridge vent installed which helped a lot with the AC performance upstairs.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Whoa, a post from the Inspector this early? You must have the day off or the late shift!

Oh yeah, I wanted a tear off & had all flashings replaced. Joint has two chimneys and a weird triangle thing above the picture window up front. Some wood was rotten on the garage, surprisingly everything was OK on the house despite the chimney leak which appeared to have been leaking for the past decade or so.

Comment

Took the day off to put power steering lines on the Conti, and to use some of my maxed-out vacation. Put the lines on last night so I'm basically just farting around at the moment.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Derek, way to be a responsible adult and miss the party. LOL
                I don't think I've been to a JY in about year. Having a kid with medical issues was the main reason. Not quite the same as getting a new roof, but totally understand being responsible.

I'm sure there'll be other opportunities for more group JY runs.
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  Took the day off to put power steering lines on the Conti, and to use some of my maxed-out vacation. Put the lines on last night so I'm basically just farting around at the moment.
                  I love farting around, I do that pretty well. I don't even need beer.
                  Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                  Derek, way to be a responsible adult and miss the party. LOL
                  I don't think I've been to a JY in about year. Having a kid with medical issues was the main reason. Not quite the same as getting a new roof, but totally understand being responsible.

I'm sure there'll be other opportunities for more group JY runs.
                  I know right? You kids have fun, send photos to induce drool. I told Ash my fingertips were itching to pull more spare junk. Especially for her truck, I want to convert the interior to red.. Sucks about the tot, I'm terrible with this sort of thing so my apologies. Son or daughter? What's going on? Is the outcome good?

Comment

She's good now. There was some concern with her heart so she was transferred to Detroit and stayed in the NICU for the first couple weeks after she was born. After observing her for those two weeks the cardiologist decided the concern was not bad enough to worry about and sent her home. Well, after that they checked her like every week to make sure her Patent Ductus Arteriosus would close like it should. It's basically a temporary bypass everyone is born with which is supposed to close on its own. Her PDA did not close on its own so she had surgery to close that before she turned 3 months. She's now on 1 year checkup cycle with the cardiologist and doing great. She'll be 1 year a month from yesterday.
                    Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Gents, we still on? If so where?

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Oh wow, time flies. You're a brave soul, kids scare the piss out of us haha.

Well, her truck needs a steering box and she wants the A/C to work so I think we're on this weekend despite limited funds. I'll just have to curb my enthusiasm for wanting stuff I probably wont need for the next 4 years... I have no idea where yet, thinking of starting at the place in Ponticrack though.

Comment

I'm undecided at the moment. If it would need to be in my Ranger, I'll have to pass. I burned through a crazy amount of oil doing the run up to Pontiac last time. Assuming their inventory hasn't rotated too much there are photos of the noteworthy cars there in my junkyard pics thread.

Current driver: Ranger
                          Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                          | 88 TC | 91 GM
                          Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                          Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                          | Junkyards

Comment

How much oil does that thing burn? Is it random or can you put a rate to it, like so many quarts per km/mi?

We would be going in Ash's new F150. It runs pretty good, 8ft box.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                              How much oil does that thing burn? Is it random or can you put a rate to it, like so many quarts per km/mi?

We would be going in Ash's new F150. It runs pretty good, 8ft box.
                              It's oddly variable. Sometimes it seems to burn nothing. I've clocked it at 1qt/hr other times. It lost a quart going to Pontiac and less than half a quart coming back, but I came back on Mound, so lower speeds.

Current driver: Ranger
                              Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                              | 88 TC | 91 GM
                              Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                              Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                              | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by Grand1 View Post
                                Gents, we still on? If so where?
                                Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                                Oh wow, time flies. You're a brave soul, kids scare the piss out of us haha.

Well, her truck needs a steering box and she wants the A/C to work so I think we're on this weekend despite limited funds. I'll just have to curb my enthusiasm for wanting stuff I probably wont need for the next 4 years... I have no idea where yet, thinking of starting at the place in Ponticrack though.
                                Kids are no joke. Being the 2nd oldest of 7 I knew that. My wife is the youngest in her family so there are some things she is completely unaware of and learning the hard way. lol

I like the idea of starting at U-Pull and Save in Pontiac.
                                I have never been there, so it will be neat to check a new place out. It's got my vote.

240 E. Columbia
                                Pontiac MI, 48340

Open Saturday 9am to 5pm
                                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Working...
                                X