Detriot area junking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kishy View Post
    It's oddly variable. Sometimes it seems to burn nothing. I've clocked it at 1qt/hr other times. It lost a quart going to Pontiac and less than half a quart coming back, but I came back on Mound, so lower speeds.
    1qt/hr, damn! Has it ever fouled a plug? And to think I thought the old engine in our K1500 was bad with 1qt/300miles. That was similar to your truck though, at slower engine speeds it was like it didn't burn any oil.

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
    Kids are no joke. Being the 2nd oldest of 7 I knew that. My wife is the youngest in her family so there are some things she is completely unaware of and learning the hard way. lol

I like the idea of starting at U-Pull and Save in Pontiac.
    I have never been there, so it will be neat to check a new place out. It's got my vote.
    Holy crap, I wasn't aware you had 6 siblings haha. How many siblings does your wife have? I'm 1 of 3 and Ashley is 1 of 5. Middle child & daughter.

Yeah I'll have to do an inventory check on Ponticrack. They had a few nice F series trucks when I was last there but that was three weeks or so ago. Was hoping to get a nice set of those aluminum wheels for her truck. Starting to think black steelies of the old style would look better on it. Her truck also has dealer installed A/C and in my opinion, it was a shitty job. Just done well enough so I didn't recognize it until we owned it hah. I'd like to replace the compressor, condenser, hoses and accumulator thing.. For poop & laughter I ought to throw some 134a in the current system to see if it'll work and how long it'll take to leak the stuff out from the shitty hose clamp connections
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
      1qt/hr, damn! Has it ever fouled a plug? And to think I thought the old engine in our K1500 was bad with 1qt/300miles. That was similar to your truck though, at slower engine speeds it was like it didn't burn any oil.
      Not once, which is remarkable. It's never even really hard to start provided I work my right foot correctly. I'm pretty sure it's gotta be mostly the rings, because it should be fouling the plugs occasionally if it was that much oil around the valve stems.

If the Lincoln is roadworthy by Saturday I might be 'in' for this. But I might opt to do the steering pump re-seal on Saturday, so I'm not sure.

Current driver: Ranger
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

Yeah I guess that's the driving factor to fouling plugs, that and a good ignition system. Ashley's '89 TC started fouling #8 every 100 miles or so and also drank about a quart of oil a tank IIRC.

Cool. I wonder what's faster, a I6 5 speed F150 or an 84 TC...

Comment

My wife grew up the youngest of 3 girls, although she also has a couple of much older siblings... 1 that she met just a few years ago (was given up for adoption at birth) but she really has nothing to do with him and the other that never lived with them while my wife was growing up, but we do visit her one in a while (usually around holidays).
          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

As for oil burning, The Ice Car might burn 1qt in about 5K miles or more. It may depend on the average top speed/rpm over that course of time. Also how long the oil has been in there seems to affect how fast it will burn oil; the first 2-3K miles I don't notice any oil loss.
            The Scab might be more like 1qt every 1K miles, and fouls #8 every 5K-ish miles or more. That engine is worn and original so it consistently burns oil.
            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
              I wonder what's faster, a I6 5 speed F150 or an 84 TC...
              Top speed: 84 TC
              Acceleration: I6 5-speed F150. (At least in regular cab short bed trim for an 89 as I've driven that and is was stupid quick through the gears for such a beast but it pretty much tops out at 85 mph with 3.55 gears... it'll probably go up to 95mph with a tailwind.)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

U pull and Save in Pontiac at 0900, sharp? Let's have the roll call in by Friday:

Im in

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

You guys with oil burners are patient. I couldn't put up with that. Hell, I've more than slightly considered removing the engine from the Mark VII just to fix a small rear main seal leak that gets to the 1 quart low point at the time it's due for an oil change. The need to check and add oil bothers me greatly.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It's like that with me too, especially tranny fluid leaks. I dropped a pan just to stop little dribles after long joy rides....and this is in a C6 slushbox. OCD all the way

Comment

Originally posted by Grand1 View Post
                      U pull and Save in Pontiac at 0900, sharp? Let's have the roll call in by Friday:

Im in
                      I'm in as well.
                      Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        You guys with oil burners are patient. I couldn't put up with that. Hell, I've more than slightly considered removing the engine from the Mark VII just to fix a small rear main seal leak that gets to the 1 quart low point at the time it's due for an oil change. The need to check and add oil bothers me greatly.
                        The engine in The Ice Car is only just starting to show its age. At 15 years old and about 130K miles it's got quite a bit of time before it gets to the level of The Scab or even worse like the original engine from The Ice Car that was burning/exhaling oil at a rate of 1qt every 100 miles.
                        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

My wife grew up the youngest of 3 girls, although she also has a couple of much older siblings... 1 that she met just a few years ago (was given up for adoption at birth) but she really has nothing to do with him and the other that never lived with them while my wife was growing up, but we do visit her one in a while (usually around holidays).
                          We aren't close with any of our family. She occasionally sees hers for lunch/dinner but they don't mix well with others.

As for oil burning, The Ice Car might burn 1qt in about 5K miles or more. It may depend on the average top speed/rpm over that course of time. Also how long the oil has been in there seems to affect how fast it will burn oil; the first 2-3K miles I don't notice any oil loss.
                          The Scab might be more like 1qt every 1K miles, and fouls #8 every 5K-ish miles or more. That engine is worn and original so it consistently burns oil.
                          Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          I've noticed that with the K1500. After about 2k that's when it seems to start burning, so I change it at 3. I really consider this to be negligible. EVERY V8 I've owned up until this point has burned oil pretty good, just figured that was normal. Because of that, I'm not really bothered by having to check the oil as it's been ingrained in me. Vehicles I've had that didn't use oil: I6 powered F series trucks (all except one that had a head gasket replaced), '94 four banger Grand Am, '94 Ranger, '11 Colorado. Common denominator was none of them were V8's

Originally posted by sly View Post
                          Top speed: 84 TC
                          Acceleration: I6 5-speed F150. (At least in regular cab short bed trim for an 89 as I've driven that and is was stupid quick through the gears for such a beast but it pretty much tops out at 85 mph with 3.55 gears... it'll probably go up to 95mph with a tailwind.)
                          This one we have also has 3.55's. Seems to be a good combo for it. Long box though. Seems to have more power at speed than any of the other I6 F series trucks we've had despite being the most neglected. We had F250 with 3.55's and it was crap compared to this one. I'm all up for a street race with it, no one would even know we were racing

Originally posted by Grand1 View Post

Im in
                          I'm in as well.
                          God lord that's early fellas. We'll be there...

Comment

LOL
                            Derek, we'll probably be there a while and you have my number. I'll have to remember to turn the ringer on on my phone.
                            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Eh, most weekends we're up by 730 anyway, it just means going straight to the garage and getting tools and stuff ready for transit. 9 is good if we intend to make a day of it since it gives more time to check out other locales.

Comment

It's on, starting in ponticrack. PMed my phone number.

Comment

Working...
                                X