No announcement yet.

Detriot area junking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regretfully, I will pass this time. The car is running absolutely great but between lack of US cash on hand, and being unable (unwilling) to get moving early enough on a Saturday, it's not meant to be.

If I could join the pack later on once it migrated down to, say, one of the Parts Galore locations I could probably work with that (time req'd to go buy US cash, and of course wake up) but it would take some planning and communication which I don't see working on our timeframe here.

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

The weather may not be all that great anyway, so it may not be a total loss for you to miss this time.
      If we decide to hit another location after Pontiac we can let you know before leaving Pontiac. I know Derek or I can send you an IM.

I'll be leaving my place in less than an hour and plan to be in the P slightly before 9.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Well, that was more snow than expected.
        Mark will have to post his pics of carnage. He didn't end up making it so just Derek, Ashley, and I were there.

Nothing interesting, no '84 (or any other year) Continentals. Derek and Ashley got a few small odds and ends. I got a little research in to determine '91 panther steering column shroud options, but I didn't buy anything. Came close to buying some wheels, but all the caps were missing and one wheel was broke (probably hit a Michigan pothole).
        Last edited by VicCrownVic; 04-28-2018, 03:28 PM.
        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

It snowed in Pontiac? LOL
          OK, I'm glad I didn't go now. I spent a ridiculous amount of time reverse-engineering the functionality of some junk, so the day wasn't a loss at least.

Beginning end of May I should be more available for this sort of thing. It's been months since I've gone to a yard and I'm feeling kinda down about it. Need my sad cars fix.

Current driver: Ranger
          Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
          | 88 TC | 91 GM
          Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
          Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

Sorry gents, here is the damage:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180428_121930400.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	1283443
            The pushrod I heard on the eway

Name:	IMG_20180428_093128152.jpg
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	1283444

Name:	IMG_20180428_093128152.jpg
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	1283444
            Fouled plugs

Got some scoring on a valve but it looks okClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180428_122946707_BURST001.jpg
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	1283445
            Intake if off, ordering new lifters and pushrods.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
              It snowed in Pontiac? LOL
              OK, I'm glad I didn't go now. I spent a ridiculous amount of time reverse-engineering the functionality of some junk, so the day wasn't a loss at least.

Beginning end of May I should be more available for this sort of thing. It's been months since I've gone to a yard and I'm feeling kinda down about it. Need my sad cars fix.
              I expected spotty sprinkling showers for a few minutes at a time all day, or at least in the morning. That's basically what we got but the air temp was low enough that it was not always in liquid form. By 11:30 we decided to call it a day.
              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Thanks for keeping an eye out for me. They're odd cars. Honestly even 10 years ago I don't remember seeing very many of them and time has not improved the situation. No idea what total production on those was, but I bet it was pretty paltry vs other models of the era.

Mark, what happened? Busted rocker arm?
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

No, loose. I guess, ( which is better then locked down tight!)...Not one rocker has damage. Drive on four cylinders of the eway to work on it. No oil spilling out or leaks.
                  just adjusted the valvetrain the other day cause of chatter.
                  Found two lifters that where siezed after intake removal.
                  Gonna do a compression test if ok, pull the heads for a valve job, put in new lifters and rods.
                  Provided my cam isn't wiped.

If bad compression.....don't have the coin for that
                  Last edited by Grand1; 04-28-2018, 08:07 PM.

Comment

On what engine? Stock 302 doesn't have an adjustable valvetrain, you just torque it down.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

460 in the '78 Grand Marquis, I believe.
                      Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Yup, 460 gadget....when I say adjusted I mean zero lash.
                        Last edited by Grand1; 04-28-2018, 10:26 PM.

Comment

460 is stud rockers then? Most all of those type that I know of are zero lash plus some amount. 1/2 to 3/4 turn usually. If the self-locking nut doesn't do it's job it will back off though. I've also seen press-in studs walk out of the heads over time so it acts like the adjustment is backing off. A straight edge across the top of the studs will show that quick enough.

Comment

That's exactly what happened.
                            I did the twisting of pushrods til they couldn't budge on the rocker(while adjusting the nut) then just over half turn on the nut. I don't remember on initial install, but I have washers under the nut.....think that my cause an issue.

When I opened the valve cover, three rockers we're off, two pushrods were scored, and the pic above of the bent one.
                            Now Im debating taking the head off and have the valves looked at.
                            I hope I didn't screw anything permanent in the block.

Comment

usually when the rockers come loose the valves are fine. All that happens there is they don't open all the way. The pushrod usually suffers the worst of it since they're only strong pushing straight in line.

Comment

I don't know how I missed all the posts in this thread!
                                Yeah, sucks about your car Mark. But you're not afraid to tear it all apart so you've got a leg up on me there. I'd have had that towed somewhere..

The snow was pretty comedic. Figured that of all days to go, we picked the one with snow. I found one great score, akin to finding a factory CD player in a box Townie really. So the trip was worth it, but we may go back again this Sunday.

Ash is never on but perhaps Vic could post pics of the oddball custom F150 we saw. Was pretty clean, and an '86. Last year for the carb'd I6 which that one had. We also saw a pretty clean town car too, could still see paint on the frame. Sadness. No JBL goodies to hoard though. Sadness x2.
                                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                                X