2000 MGM wiper arm transmission help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000 MGM wiper arm transmission help needed

Hi guy me again, I purchased new wiper arms and blades for my MGM my old arms were rusted and not applying enough pressure to the wiper blades.

Even with my old arms and blades my passenger side arm and blade assembly does not seem to park in the correct posistion. the drivers side seems to park just fine. ( yet I am not 100 percent sure )

My wiper motor seems to operate properly when i turn them on, when I shut them off the blades stop and then go down towrds the leaf screen stop ramp as it is labeled in Mitchell I call it the plastic cowling.

When the motor is parked the drivers blade is low and parallel with the edge of the plastic cowling ( leaf screen stop ramp ) the passenger side seems to park at a angle with some of the blade on the ramp and the rest on the windshield at an angle to the plastic cowling if that makes sense.

The Wiper arms have a built in key so they cannot be adjusted to the pivot shafts. ( meaning they only go on one way )

I looked up in Mitchell on demand diy for any information I could find on the wiper arm and linkage - transmission assembly

They show a possible adjustment which is baffeling me I will type word for word what is printed about the adjustment.

1 Wiper arms are keyed to pivot shafts, adjustment of park posistion is not generally required. However if park posistion is not correct inspect linkage for damage or disconnection.

( I did pull and clean up all the leaves and debris from under the plastic cowling hoping binding on some debris was preventing a true park posistion yet nothing changed and I did not see anything damaged or bent pictures attached ).

2. If linkage is okay remove wiper arms from pivot shafts. Remove plastic key from pivot shaft(s) Turn on wipers. Allow motor to cycle pivot shafts 2 or 3 times turn off wipers
    and pivot shafts to return to park posistion.

3. Reinstall wiper arms in proper posistions Diamension X should be as specified See Figure 1 Wiper Blade Adjustment Specifications table

Picture of diagram also attached

Now what pisses me off there is no diagram or instruction on how to remove this plastic key or even mention where it is at on the pivot shaft.

Then they do not mention reinstalling the plastic key once the operation is complete. WTF is it me or are these people complete lazy aholes?

So my question is where are these mystery plastic keys and how do I remove them?

Second with my pictures provided can anyone see a bent linkage that I am not seeing?

Thanks for any help with this.

I am so glad I signed up for a Service manual subscription so I can fix things on my car without guessing LOL

BTW my guess is that the motor is not retracting all the way to the park posisiton if this is the case I am also to assume the wiper blades should be parked on the plastic cowling which would make the drivers side off as well.

With this in mind a clear picture of where properly working and parking wiper blades should be when parked for the 2000 MGM would be very cool thing for someone to post here.

Thanks inadvance for any help with this.

I plan on trying to source a new plastic cowling since mine is deformed and will wreck the blades if they have to drag across them to get to park posistion if I cannot find one I will try and reshape it with a heat gun.
    Attached Files
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

You can clock the arms on the posts. You just need to stop the wipers at the down position before it parks (turn off the car) and then mount them a little lower angle until you get them to park where you want them to park.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      You can clock the arms on the posts. You just need to stop the wipers at the down position before it parks (turn off the car) and then mount them a little lower angle until you get them to park where you want them to park.
      Not possible with the 2000 Mgm the arm is clocked to the shaft with a built in non removable key way the arm will only go on in one position.

If the answer was that easy I would have been done and I would not have the need to post my questions. But thanks anyways.

I agree many of the cars I worked on in the past were clockable yet this one sadly is not one of them.

Comment

Here are some pictures of the arms and wipers reinstated with all the debris cleaned out, it did not change anything much other than the drivers side is nearly parked against the stop.

What I do not know about all of this is if the wiper arms I took off were OEM or aftermarket

Looking at the pictures the passenger side wiper arm looks just plain wrong for the car yet it matched the old one I took off.

I did try swapping the arms but that made things worse for both arms.

I am really suspecting the wiper motor park function. My back and neck hurts too much to deal with this anytime soon but I will look into it later unless I get some help here once I figure it out I will post the results.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by EaOutlaw1969; 04-06-2018, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Looks like the driver side is correct, but the passenger side is definitely high. Since those are keyed, check for a set screw and see if you can clock the spindle on it's mount to the drive arm.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
            Looks like the driver side is correct, but the passenger side is definitely high. Since those are keyed, check for a set screw and see if you can clock the spindle on it's mount to the drive arm.
            I cannot fix it today since my back is hurting too much, but I think I found out what is going on, with the tons of debris jammed in the wiper linkage - transmission area the passenger side could not get to full park position for a long time.

With the debris in place the linkage had little to no play in it, once I cleaned out that area really well and lubed the motor plus put it all back together I found the passenger side has some play at the linkage bushing where it attaches to the pivot shaft.

I looked online for replacement bushings for the 2000 MGM and have yet to find any, yet it seems like Ford still sells the entire transmission assembly. Yet at around $250.00 I will continue to try and find replacement bushings.

Apparently this mystery plastic key they are talking about that can be removed is the very key built into the wiper arm.

When I looked at my old wiper arms that I tossed on the floor to see if the keys could be removed I discovered they fell out when I tossed them on the floor.

My eye sight is so bad I did not consider these keys to be removable yet I guess they are.

I am not sure if it the same way with the aftermarket wiper arms but I will find out tomorrow if my back lets me.

I think new bushings will cure the problem but the transmission could be bent slightly from jamming into the debris for years. If replacing the bushings does not cure it I am nearly one hundred percent sure if I can get the key out I could fix it with reclocking the arm as you originally suggested.

Thanks for the replies and help.

BTW I was mainly worried about my new blades getting destroyed when they retract on cowling yet the ramp keeps the blade from rubbing on the cowl with help of cams that are attached to the wiper arms, the aftermarket arms had these cams yet they were too flimsy and fell right off I had to re use the old cams and now they ride up the ramp properly.

I just hope I can find a replacement plastic cowling ford shows that part is NA
            Last edited by EaOutlaw1969; 04-06-2018, 04:35 PM.

Comment

yeah... the cowling would be a junkyard part.

Comment

I've never seen replacement bushings for these, usually its a case of replacing the whole unit. I bet with some measurements you can source bushings and figure out how to rebuild it, but Ford did not intend for that to be the case.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  I've never seen replacement bushings for these, usually its a case of replacing the whole unit. I bet with some measurements you can source bushings and figure out how to rebuild it, but Ford did not intend for that to be the case.
                  I think Help brand has bushings for wiper linkage yet I have not been online to see if they offer them for the 2000 MGM

None of the automotive manufacturers have replacement bushings for these linkages that I know off it is hit or miss with what the aftermarket has.

I will look into it and post what I find

Comment

Working...
                  X