Power grease gun suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power grease gun suggestions

I am tired of manual pump grease guns.......any suggestions as to what I should purchase, like electric or pneumatic ones?
    Something with "balls"

Thanks

How much greasing do you do? Do you buy grease in bulk or tubes.
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

I lube my MGM once per year as i do with my Studebaker which has 30 zerks! I want to use lube in tubes.
      Originally posted by EaOutlaw1969 View Post
      How much greasing do you do? Do you buy grease in bulk or tubes.

Comment

I've always been fine with the "pistol grip" type manual ones, not the ones with the long pump handle. Those are a PITA.

Pneumatic are the only powered ones I have experience with. Nice, but unless you have compressed air thats no good.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Looking at the deWalt 20 volt gun
          Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          I've always been fine with the "pistol grip" type manual ones, not the ones with the long pump handle. Those are a PITA.

Pneumatic are the only powered ones I have experience with. Nice, but unless you have compressed air thats no good.

Comment

When I worked at a Water treatment plant greasing fittings was a chore we had to do often. to make the job easier I purchased a Lincoln 12 volt grease gun. It came with a case, charger and 2 batteries. Years ago when i purchsed this kit for the county it was over $300.00 if I remember correctley.

I will say it worked great and it was still working great years later when I left my job.

I looked at the Dewalt and compared it to the Lincoln, the Dewalt gun says four tubes per charge the lincoln says 3 tubes per charge but you get 2 batteries.

I like the Dewalt better because of the built in feet so you can set it on the ground or other flat surface which should make it a brease to use if your greasing you car on jack stands.

I also like that you could use the Dewalt battery with other tools so the battery will get used and charged often compared to the lincoln setup.

This being said I hate priming grease guns because it always is troublesome when your in a hurry and need to move on to some other project.

I really really hate leaking grease guns. it seems the tube type grease guns I have used over the years will seap oils that have seperated from grease left in the tube while in storage, even new unused tubes will seap after some time. all of this is a mess.

I got in the habit of using up the grease or pumping out and disposing of the remainder grease if I knew I was not going to use the grease gun for a long time.

https://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Lubri...70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-2...FYYrhwodGoAOBw

Here is a less expensive option if you have a compressed air availible

https://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-1162-...70_&dpSrc=srch

I just found Lincoln has a upgraded 20 volt electric gun compared to the 12 volt I used it is more money than the Dewalt but it comes with a second battery

https://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-1884-...70_&dpSrc=srch

Out of all these options I would go with a air powered grease gun for home use because it is less expensive and you do not have the extra weight or maintence of a battery. with the added bonus of not having a battery go dead on you. The lincoln air gun I sent a link to seems to have a mount.

I may be wrong buy it looks like you could use that mount some where in your shop over a trash can for when it may seap grease drippings in the hot summer days.

The lincoln grease guns also shows tips on priming grease guns, some of the tips I knew others I wish I would have thought of.

I will say if you opt for the electric type you can slide a disposable glove over the end of the grease tube and one over the end of the hose to prevent grease for getting all over the inside the case while it is not in use.

If your Studebaker has some hard to reach Zerks you may consider making a remote mounted extension to make your life easier.

Here a the missing link https://locknlube.com/blogs/greasing...elocation-hose
            Last edited by EaOutlaw1969; 04-10-2018, 06:04 AM.

Comment

If you already own cordless tools, buy a cordless one of whatever brand tools you have. Then you have battery interchangability. Most cordless manufacturers make them now.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                If you already own cordless tools, buy a cordless one of whatever brand tools you have. Then you have battery interchangability. Most cordless manufacturers make them now.
                which is why my weed whacker is a DeWalt. I'm not married to them, but I see no value in having a pile of batteries that don't interchange.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

which is why my weed whacker is a DeWalt. I'm not married to them, but I see no value in having a pile of batteries that don't interchange.
                  Yep. In my trade milwaukee is king. Already owned many of their corded tools. There's also one of their hubs local here so it's a no-brainer. I now have several of their cordless tools and a shitload of batteries. The available tool lineup grows by the day, as do most of the major brands. Unless you buy harbor freight, they're pretty much all awesome at this point in history. I just stick to what i have because i've had tons of it and want to stay uniform. My buddy swears by makita and all his shit works great too.

Comment

I think Milwaukee and DeWalt are owned by the same parent company anyway so besides color there isn't a ton of difference between them. Not sure if Makita is also under the same ownership. The decent quality tools have all gotten fairly comparable, so unless you buy HF or whatever you're not getting a complete POS.

Comment

Even some of the HF stuff is made by the same people.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I think Milwaukee and DeWalt are owned by the same parent company anyway so besides color there isn't a ton of difference between them. Not sure if Makita is also under the same ownership. The decent quality tools have all gotten fairly comparable, so unless you buy HF or whatever you're not getting a complete POS.
                        I will say I was really hard on cordless power tools while I worked at the Water treatment plant. I cannot speak for the current tools being produced but back then I had no choice but to pretty much abandon the use of cordless tools.

All the batteries in our enviorment would not last long at all. first off our shop where our many charging stations were located was subect to extreme tempratures not suited for battery charging and longevity. not to mention no matter how many batteries we had on our trucks it was never enough so other techs would come over give you their dead battery and walk away with your new and fully charged battery while you were not looking.

I also found by switching back to corded tools my tool budget was lower because I did not have a bunch of batteries to replace every year and the tool cost was lower because of the lack of batteries and charging stations.

When I worked at a remote locations in our well fields I carried some cordless tools and confirmed good batteries yet I relied mainly on my generator which needed to be run a lot anyways just to keep it full of fresh fuel.

If you ask me cordless tools and the batteries they consume benifit only the manufacturer, it is my opionion cordless tool and batteries would have to save a lot of time by not having to untangle a power cord and strech it out to make it worth while for all the headaches and frustration a worn dead battery can cost.

here is an example of how we are suckers two tools from the same manufactures yet the cordless tool will work all day everyday for years you may have to replace a cord or some blade atachemnt hardware yet the tool will likley outlast three or four cordless versions because the dirty manufactures change the tool, upgrading the battery and amperage- voltage etc to get you to upgrade your tools every so often. in my opion cordless tools are a scam againt the user and the enviorment.

It can be argued that a work zone with only cordless tools is safer because of the lack of cords, I agrre there are places and times where cordless tools rule yet when selecting new tools for my box I will always buy a corded tool first.

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-651...corded+sawzall

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-272...70_&dpSrc=srch

Comment

Modern batteries are way better than they used to be. Cordless isn't the solution to all problems of course, but for some things they're damn handy. Honestly I don't think they were truly worth owning before LiOn batteries though.

Comment

Agreed. Now a dude like me can own an impact & use it for a full day on perhaps just one battery instead of multiple. And to think before I thought I needed an air compressor.
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Do not get me wrong I love cordless tools , I just do not like how they tend to make what you have obsolete by changing the design.

They get you when you have a good selection of cordless tools that all use the same battery pack and charger then next year any tool you want to buy to compliment what you have comes with a smaller and yet more powerful battery that will not work with any of your current tools.

I saw a Ridgid commercial that peaked my interest the other day, they claim when you buy and register your tool you get a lifetime service agreement which includes replacement batteries for life.

I have not looked into what they have or the fine print yet when I am ready for a new Cordless tool I will check them out mainly because I have never had any Ridged tool fail ever.

https://www.ridgid.com/powertools/cordless/

Comment

Working...
                              X