Electric fan(s)? Do it or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric fan(s)? Do it or not?

So while i eagerly await my 347 to be finished, i'm going crazy trying to organize/buy/find every last little bit of junk i may want or need once this transformation gets underway. I have a brand-new factory-replacement little dinky radiator i can throw in when the new motor goes in. I also have a bigass radiator express aluminum unit that will fit with some massaging(or hopefully just the spare driver-side bracket from my dead car) but not sure the stock fan/shroud setup will fit it. My 347 will be pretty mild so i think the crappy replacement radiator will be fine as the other car ran way cooler than this one does, but it also didn't have a 347.

In the process of the engine swap i'll be going 3g so power is not an issue. The install will be done at a shop that also specializes in auto electric, so i'm not worried about them cocking up an e-fan setup, especially since i drink beer with the main tech there. Figured a contour dual-fan setup would be the cat's ass but i wonder how that works. If one runs on thermostat and one runs on a/c? Or, whatever. Experiences? Opinions? Am i overthinking it?

Seriously, i can take the criticism. I'm literally chewing my fingers off in anticipation. Even bought new exhaust tips for god's sake. They're going to be tucked up and hardly visible but i bought fancy exhaust tips! What say the panther gods?

When I hear of anyone spending their hard earned money on a engine upgrade I instantly think of what I would want along with the new more powerful engine to protect the investment.

Things that come to mind for me anyways are a three Core radiator, oil and transmission fluid cooler and yes a dual electric fan setup.

I would want the dual fan setup wired as a fail safe where one fan cycles with engine temprature and the second fan cycles with the AC or a slightly higher temprature ( fail safe setting )

yet if the second fan came on due to the higher engine temprature it should also trigger a warning light to alert the driver.

I would also want a good quaility single or dual bypass oil filter setup and oil priming system.

They have a remote mount setup with a on board oil primer that is powered with a cordless drill http://www.jegs.com/i/Peterson-Fluid...-1511/10002/-1 this would be secondary to the bypass filter meaning I would buy both setups if you had the room

Here is a article on the remote filter mount priming system http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories/...-filter-mount/

Brass freeze plugs and a Sacrifical Anode for the cooling system setup on a replacement program the link I am providing is just an example not a recomendation for your car. the anode has to be replaced every so often which you probably know. I only mention this for others that do not know

https://www.amazon.com/Flex-lite-320...ustomerReviews

All of this is stuff I would want not what you must have.
    Last edited by EaOutlaw1969; 04-11-2018, 06:14 AM.
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

I have a Flex-a-Lite dual fan shroud that fits the stock radiator perfectly, and a 347.

LOUD EXHAUST IS FUN! AM I SHOUTING?
      1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

The contour fan worked fine with my beater 88 and HD radiator. But with your setup, I would go with better fans that move even more air. A 347 will definitely make more heat when you get on it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Alright i'm definitely doing it then, just gotta decide what the best setup is gonna be. Think 2000cfm each would be enough? 4000cfm with both fans running. That anode rod is brilliant Outlaw, gonna order a pile of them.

Comment

I only just started to think about anodes in cars cooling systems since I have been trying to solve issues with my home water heater and found out it had a very large anode in it that has to get replaced often as well.

My water comes from a water treatment plant and my house sits on a dead end water line so we end up with hard stale water that is very hard on our appliances, valves and water heater.

I have to flush every 6 months and replace our anode every two years

None of this has a to do with your car just sharing the reason I looked In to cooling system anodes

I am surprised no one has invented a pressure cap with a built in anode so you do not have to dump the coolant just to change the anode.
            2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

Contour fans are on my 86, they work just fine, two speed dual fans. And they have been on there for multiple radiator configurations. The A9P has the capability of controlling at least a single speed fan. You need to enable the setting in the tune. Some are supposedly able to do two speeds, assuming that the hardware inside the ecu is present. And that there is an PNP transistor wired in line to turn the fan relay on/off. Mine was unable to control both. Default is on without the hardware. So wiring it up it had the low speed fan run any time the ignition was turned on, which was fine, as the low speed fan didn't draw that much current and it running all the time didn't matter. The SN95 mustang ecu could control both. Refer to this article http://efidynotuning.com/foxfan.htm for wiring.

Comment

The best thing I ever did with my electric fan was curse John with that POS and replace it with a clutch fan. It was noisy, used tons of power, and had a controller fail at least once and caused me to blow a heater hose not near home and without any tools. The temperature cycled up and down a good 10 degrees too. The clutch fan has given me precisely zero problems. I have had two wear out but all that really happened was the AC performance started to suck.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I hate the electric fans in my 94 GT. X2 on the stocker clutch fan with a good radiator.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

No, I've had two electric fans fail on me.
                    The stock mechanical one just works.
                    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Down here in the hot lands... I've had 3 fan clutches fail within 2 years and said f that noise and put the e-fan in my 93. No issues since. Used the 02 fan and harness (the one right before the PWM bastard) that works just like the Contour fan. Single speed fan with low speed through a resistor. 70 amp relays an 50 amp fuse. Draws 40 amps on high speed kick-on from dead stop and levels to 27 amps. Avoid the dual coil fans (connector on the fan motor) as they are the ones most prone to failure. I've never had any issues with my cooling system since... but then I also swapped in the F150 dual core radiator at the same time, so I have massive cooling availability for my car.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I've regularly towed 5-9k# on 90+ degree days and never had a problem with the stock single core rad and stock mechanical fan. Just my personal experience on my old 91 wagon.
                        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Yeah... the 88 never had any issues... the 93... plus 140F asphalt and a bad clutch in traffic almost nuked the engine. This was after I got it back from Scott. Replaced the fan clutch... then 9 months later... same issue. Replaced again... then 6 months later, that one died. I was done.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                            Yeah... the 88 never had any issues... the 93... plus 140F asphalt and a bad clutch in traffic almost nuked the engine. This was after I got it back from Scott. Replaced the fan clutch... then 9 months later... same issue. Replaced again... then 6 months later, that one died. I was done.
                            I nuked my old 91 (the original Battle Wagon) sitting in traffic when the damn electric fan failed and the drain cock deiced to blow out of the rad. Over heated to the point the engine seized. Once it cooled down, filled it with water, fired that mother up and drove it 400 miles home, next weekend took it up to scotts and took it to the 1/4. Damn thing could not be killed.

My other 91 hauled anything I wanted it too and it never cared. Junkyard HO swapped lopo just ran too good.

Comment

Dont mean to high jack tread but If been wanting to do a electric fan too, I’ve also been threw a few fan cluches in texas. Does anyone run a electric fan with the 91 town car shroud and double radiator. I dont want to get rid of the extra coolant tank.

Comment

Working...
                              X