Electric fan(s)? Do it or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elias View Post
    Dont mean to high jack tread but If been wanting to do a electric fan too, I’ve also been threw a few fan cluches in texas. Does anyone run a electric fan with the 91 town car shroud and double radiator. I dont want to get rid of the extra coolant tank.
    Not that I know of. But you could probably rig a whale tank (mounted to the e-fan) to work as a coolant tank by putting hose adapters on the bottom to go to the rad overflow/purge port and then running the top hose down the side instead of to the radiator.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

That's one thing i've got to consider. My car has the coolant tank/shroud assembly that'll have to be dealt with. Hmmmm, not that it's a huge deal to put a different tank on it but i like shit looking mostly factory.

Comment

Then stick with the clutch fan. My 88 with the lopo didn't munch clutches like my 93 with the PI swap. I think the higher revs (shifts at 6K+ instead of 5k-ish) is what did in the thermal clutches.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Well the 347 with cam and heads is going to see high 5000rpm which is part of my concern, not to mention the extra displacement and what-not creating more heat anyhow. I still have the shroud and fan shit off the wrecked car so i may try to mock it up and see if it fits the bigass radiator i have. If not, may just bite the bullet and get a good dual fan setup, either derale, flex-a-lite, or a contour fan setup. I'd either buy a good controller setup that doesn't use the shitty probe you stick on the radiator, but one that actually uses a plug in the motor, or maybe just let my shop decide what's best since they are an electrical specialty shop first and foremost. I'll try to dig through all this shit on saturday. Gotta grab the other set of center caps to send Derek anyhow. Got my hardened AOD input shaft yesterday. Woo!

Comment

With that sort of rpm you'll want the underdrive pulley anyway, otherwise its probably going to be eating water pumps.

Fan your call of course. I ran a Mark VIII fan with that shitty controller and I just hated it. No soft start, no consistent temperature control, and the fan itself was just a turd. I may have hated it less if it had been a different / better setup but after it blew a hose on me I just returned it to stock because it was easy and reliable.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So here's the fan i ordered. Description is a little confusing so i'm not entirely sure if it comes with the controller and shit or not. My auto-electric buddy told me most of the name-brand controllers are garbage because the wire they come with is too small, among other things. Read somewhere that Ron Francis is the one to get a controller from. Will check out what comes with the fan(s) when i get it and go from there. I know Derale is a good fan and these should move sufficient air.

Comment

So what did you order? (thinking you forgot a pic or a link.)

Comment

Haha just kidding! Fuckin idiot, forgot to paste. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Derale-Perf...53.m2749.l2649

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                    Haha just kidding! Fuckin idiot, forgot to paste. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Derale-Perf...53.m2749.l2649
                    That's wider than the core.
                    This is the one I'm using, fits right on the stock rad.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160901_135510.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	1283373
                    Last edited by BlackVic_P71; 04-19-2018, 10:55 AM.
                    1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Working...
                    X