2000 MGM dome light question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000 MGM dome light question

I am trying to remove the aluminum strap along the front of my Vinyl top, it is secured on the sides with two screws and I think one welded stud that goes through the roof just behind the dome light.

I was wanting to see if I was right about the stud and nut by removing the the dome light.

With the dome light out you can see a large square black plastic mounting bracket that is some how attached to the roof.

The headliner fits up flush against this plastic, I was hoping with a feeler gauge or something similar I could release a few tabs to remove this plastic bracket yet I am unsure if it is mounted with screws I cannot see because of the headliner.

I would prefer not to remove the headliner or damage anything just during this inspection. Yet it all else fails I think I could cut a notch in the headliner and perhaps get to the nut if it has one so I can remove the aluminum strap.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

I know on the boxes there's several studs that go through the roof along the entire length. I would be surprised if there's not at least 5 to help hold down the strip along it's length. I've always heard that you pretty much have to remove the headliner to get the trim off the vinyl tops.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The trim on my roof is split into 3 pieces, the small center section holds the middle down and two screws on each side, I already had the two screws out and one side of the trim lifted testing this theory.

The only thing holding the longer trim pieces on was a little silicone or other adhesive sticking it to the center piece with the one possibly two studs.

Comment

ah... ok, then you're probably right. It's probably a dealer option so it was done with minimal intrusion after production and the one stud under the dome light is probably all there is to it.

Lemme look in my service manual and see if I can find out how to remove the dome light.

looks simple enough...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DomeLight.png
Views:	1
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1283326

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
          ah... ok, then you're probably right. It's probably a dealer option so it was done with minimal intrusion after production and the one stud under the dome light is probably all there is to it.

Lemme look in my service manual and see if I can find out how to remove the dome light.

looks simple enough...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49747[/ATTACH]
          Thanks, getting the dome light off is easy I was looking to remove the black plastic mounting block that the dome light mounts to with 3 screws.

When I tug on it slightly it moves some, I do not think it is bolted to the roof, I think there are a few plastic clips or tabs that hold it to the roof.

Comment

I found the part on Fords website , in the diagram I am not seeing any hardware that holds it in, it must just snap in place somehow.

https://www.oemfordpartsdirect.com/o...Y4LWdhcw%3D%3D

Comment

I found out by removing the dome light and prying down slightly on the headliner I could see the screws were drilled in from the top side. The smaller middle cover had silicone holding it down, under the trim pieces were more screws also along the leading edge of the vinyl roof holding it down to the car.

Removing theses trim pieces and pulling the vinyl off the car some allowed me to see just how much rust and rot is waiting under Thais crappy vinyl roof.

I will put it this way I am done putting time and money into this pile of garbage.

I plan on driving it the way it is until I save enough money to buy another low mileage MGM without a vinyl or fabric top and original paint.

If I cannot find a suitable vehicle within my budget I will just say the hell with it and just get a new car once my Wife’s car is paid for in just under two years.
              Last edited by EaOutlaw1969; 04-15-2018, 11:29 AM.

Comment

wow... that is a PITA.

+1 on tossing that idea in the phucket bucket and saving up for something you can work with.

Comment

Yeah it seems like I have the worst luck picking vehicles, yet at least I have not spent too much on this one and I could use Parts off of it to fix up another MGM

Comment

I figured I would update this post since now that I have the headliner out and I figured out how the dome light mounting bracket is attached

I found out the headliner is glued to the roof the bracket is also glued to the roof and all the wiring is also glued to the headliner.

I will post pictures when I get time. What a cheap ass way to build a car.

Comment

Here is a few pictures of the backside of the headliner
                      Attached Files

Comment

It all makes sense now.

It also makes sense why my 2000 and 93's headliners are still in decent shape while the cardboard wonder that was in the Mad Marquis needed to be redone. Fiberglass shell it mush better to stick to than cardboard.

Comment

My 2002 Ford Ranger i had also used fiberglass but not as thick foam yet the fiberglass on the Ranger seemed thicker and harder than the shell for the MGM

The factory had all the wiring glued to the backside but gave me 0 slack to pull out the electrical connectors for each visor, So I had to drag the head liner out with both visors being tugged along by the thin wires.

I guess I could have looked for the connectors once I had the headliner pulled down, but by then I was in so much pain and aggravated from breaking a few pillar trim pieces that I was fit to be tied. LOL

It seemes this car has baked in the sun for so long that everything plastic is brittle and way too fragil.

I am starting to think the sun baked the seam sealer along the package tray which help cause the rust issue, I was able to peel up and break the seam sealer like potato chips.

Comment

Working...
                          X