No announcement yet.

Stocker's 1985 LTD Crown Victoria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other than the frame, those *could* all be fairly easily/cheap fixes. I'd have the shop show you what they found.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Even getting the typical rust spot on the frame repaired is doable.
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        all of this is typical, especially the rotten frame rail. Have a look underneath at the frame just behind the passenger side lower control arm mount. Fair bet you'll find where the frame angles over just under the firewall its got a big hole in it. The AC drips there and the frames blow out.
        Ah, that's what it was - a dime-sized hole at most though, which is why I missed it before.

I'm starting to wonder the shop even tried to fix anything beyond the A/C. I still smell it running rich from time to time, it still takes some throttle to start when warm, and idling in gear it still sounds like it wants to stall if it sits too long. 10 MPG on that tank when I filled it up; granted, I don't know how much time it spent idling while they were (maybe) trying to diagnose it.

It's leaking oil like never before though. I can't help but wonder if they intentionally sabotaged it.

I'll try to put a pair of valve cover gaskets in it soon, but if it isn't that...
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria
        1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
        1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 360

Past: 1995 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Comment

was the pcv filter changed?
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Yeah, they replaced both the PCV valve and the crankcase breather.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria

Comment

Yeah... that screen under the PCV valve is overlooked rather often.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                Yeah... that screen under the PCV valve is overlooked rather often.
                There's supposed to be a screen there?

Comment

Originally posted by 91merc View Post
                  There's supposed to be a screen there?
                  On the 86-91 SEFI. On the 85, it'd be there in the air filter housing. I've never owned a box that did not pass oil through the PCV.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Oh right... 85.

+1 they all drink oil to a point. It shouldn't be more than about half a quart per 3K miles in good shape. One quart at most with no leaks. At least that's what I've seen.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I've had three 302's in my life, so far. One '85 CFI, one '88 (My TC, still have it) and one '89 TC. All of them drank/drink oil. The '85 supposedly had 100k ish miles on it, the '89 88k miles on it and my '88 now has about 125k on it, purchased with 85k ish. Oil consumption hasn't changed on the '88 at all. With fresh oil, it won't start touching it until about after 1000 miles. After that, it will slowly drink it, probably a quart per 1k. The 89' TC was the same way. I don't really remember the '85's consumption. I want to say it drank oil all the time, about a quart per 1K. Ford must've known about it, they've got "Low Oil" warning lights and reminders to check oil printed on the gas caps, least my '88 and '89 TC's did.
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Mine never consumed enough oil to need any added between changes (it might be down a quart at most by the time I change it), but it saturated the breather element so quickly that I gave up on trying to stay ahead of it.
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria

Comment

Guess that begs the question as to what your OCI's are/were. My OCI's at the time were 3k miles/1yr. Now they're 5k/1yr, yet the 302 never makes it to 1,500 before a year so technically I don't need to add oil any more either.

Comment

For the past few years I've been running 2500-mile OCIs, which usually works out to three times a year depending on how long winter is.
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria

Comment

My 88 had 160K+ on it when I sold it. I had eliminated all the leaks and it was down to half a quart per 3K miles. With the VC leaks, it would drop about 1 quart per 1K miles. The 82 Mark VI with the HO swap never used more than 1 quart per 3K miles while I owned it. The 93 F150 I had didn't run that great, but did run and still didn't drink oil in that 302 either. So yeah, anything over 1 quart per 3K miles I look for leaks.

Comment

That reminds me, the 302 HO in my life didn't use oil. Not sure about leaks in the '89 or '85, but the '88 I have does not leak.

Comment

Working...
                                X