Stocker's 1985 LTD Crown Victoria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stocker View Post
    I originally heard the "snake blinders" term on Oldsmobile boards... guess it wasn't common outside of those guys.

I forgot about that at the time, but I trust the shop and I'd expect that if the nylon cam gear were still there, the owner would've mentioned something.
    They would have to remove the timing cover to find out.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Beautiful real box Vic. Best colour too. Enjoy it!
      Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
      Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Oh, here's a fun repair I almost forgot. The tone generator chime was barely audible, and because of that I drained the battery once from leaving the lights on.

The foam gasket that holds the tone disc degraded over time, so there was nothing for the electromagnet to pull against and get sufficient tension. I forget the size, but all it took was a hardware store O-ring.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]49763[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]49764[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]49765[/ATTACH]
        Awesome, thanks for posting that info.

Does the key and lights on use that same chime? I've got a faint key tone but nothing for when the lights are on. I've recently drained the batt by leaving the lights on.

Comment

Yes, it's the same tone, least it was for my '85 Vic.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Good news on my last UOA! I think I can confidently push my OCI out to 2500 miles now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jul 2018 UOA excerpt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	1284420

I'm surprised that there was no fuel in it though. It's been running pig rich off and on the past couple months, enough that it's affecting gas mileage, so I expected there to be something noticeable.

I also decided that I need to install my power seat track before I take it on another long trip. The fixed seat angle is fine for daily driving, but as tall as I am it gets uncomfortable after a couple hours.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria
            1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
            1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 360

Past: 1995 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Comment

Good news on my last UOA! I think I can confidently push my OCI out to 2500 miles now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50608[/ATTACH]

I'm surprised that there was no fuel in it though. It's been running pig rich off and on the past couple months, enough that it's affecting gas mileage, so I expected there to be something noticeable.

I also decided that I need to install my power seat track before I take it on another long trip. The fixed seat angle is fine for daily driving, but as tall as I am it gets uncomfortable after a couple hours.
              Nice...is that the report Blackstone gives? I've been interested in analyzing the oil from the Town Car, for kicks, but the cost was a bit of a turn off last I looked into it. The personalized feedback is cool though.

Although I am overall fond of the seats in my 2-door, it has manual seats, and I know exactly what you're talking about, being a tall guy myself. The manual seat fixed angle oddly cants your seating position which screws with distance to steering wheel, distance to pedals and dash/column to knee distances.

Current driver: Ranger
              Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
              | 88 TC | 91 GM
              Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
              Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
              | Junkyards

Comment

Yes, it's the Blackstone report. When I first looked into it they were the only outfit I knew of. The sample kits have prepaid shipping labels on them now (for the U.S. at least) which makes them a bit better value, but when I consider that if I hadn't gotten the reports I'd've been running the oil for 5000 miles and probably shortening the life of the engine, I figure it's worth it.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria

Comment

I like this car, it's sad what's happened with the deer and the waterpump I replaced it on my two cars and I know it's not easy, one broken bolt on my 87, and 4 on my 88, I hope everything will be fixed on your ford.

I really like your steel wheels with dogdish cap, is it 14 or 15 inchs ?
                  Regards
                  1987 Colony Park LS wagon
                  1988 Grand marquis LS sedan

Comment

Starting to wonder if it's bad luck to wash this car. I didn't expect the hood ornament to be a wear item.

Name:	IMG_2596.jpg
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1285606

The ring wore through and broke, fortunately during the night and not on the road. I found the spring on the floor but not the retaining wire. I'm going to try drilling and tapping it for a small eye-bolt... probably won't work, but it's cheap to try.

Originally posted by Tanner02480 View Post
                    I really like your steel wheels with dogdish cap, is it 14 or 15 inchs ?
                    15".
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria

Comment

I made a split-second decision to have the white lettering facing outward on my new tires. Looks good with the dogdishes, but probably won't if I ever wanted to switch to full wheel covers.

Name:	White-letter tires.jpg
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	1287204

The shop told me one of the rear wheels is slightly bent, which is concerning since I don't recall ever hitting anything that would've bent one.

Also got the A/C recharged just in time for our 90°F highs.
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria

Comment

I like the white letter dog dish combo.

You are doing better than me. I forgot that whitewall tires still exist. So even though I historically wanted whitewalls for my 90, I bought black walls because I wasn’t thinking. Never bought whitewalls before.
                        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Hey, that's the same color as my old '85!
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Dunno how I missed this; but nice CV! That car has been through a lot in a short period of time. Are you still daily driving it?

Comment

Yep, still dailying it March/April through November, snowfall permitting. But go figure, no sooner do I get this done than the master cylinder starts going out...

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                              I like the white letter dog dish combo.

You are doing better than me. I forgot that whitewall tires still exist. So even though I historically wanted whitewalls for my 90, I bought black walls because I wasn’t thinking. Never bought whitewalls before.
                              Whitewalls seem to be even harder to find than white letters. At least there's enough musclecar-type cars that use this tire size that there's still some options.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria

Comment

Yep, still dailying it March/April through November, snowfall permitting. But go figure, no sooner do I get this done than the master cylinder starts going out...

Whitewalls seem to be even harder to find than white letters. At least there's enough musclecar-type cars that use this tire size that there's still some options.
                                I've finally found two brands that carry whitewalls in the size I want to run on the cars. Toyo and Nexen both have 225/70R15 options, but you kinda have to look for them. 215/70R15 are a little easier to get whitewalls in, but are still on a "gotta look around" level.

My Cars:
                                -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                                -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                                -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                                -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Working...
                                X