PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stocker's 1985 LTD Crown Victoria

all the CFI are belong to me

Quote Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
    Good news on my last UOA! I think I can confidently push my OCI out to 2500 miles now.

Attachment 50608

I'm surprised that there was no fuel in it though. It's been running pig rich off and on the past couple months, enough that it's affecting gas mileage, so I expected there to be something noticeable.

I also decided that I need to install my power seat track before I take it on another long trip. The fixed seat angle is fine for daily driving, but as tall as I am it gets uncomfortable after a couple hours.
    Nice...is that the report Blackstone gives? I've been interested in analyzing the oil from the Town Car, for kicks, but the cost was a bit of a turn off last I looked into it. The personalized feedback is cool though.

Although I am overall fond of the seats in my 2-door, it has manual seats, and I know exactly what you're talking about, being a tall guy myself. The manual seat fixed angle oddly cants your seating position which screws with distance to steering wheel, distance to pedals and dash/column to knee distances.

Current drivers: 84 TC | 85 CS
    Panthers, Parked: 83 GM 2dr | 86 GM | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 05 Focus
    RIP: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | Junkyards

Yes, it's the Blackstone report. When I first looked into it they were the only outfit I knew of. The sample kits have prepaid shipping labels on them now (for the U.S. at least) which makes them a bit better value, but when I consider that if I hadn't gotten the reports I'd've been running the oil for 5000 miles and probably shortening the life of the engine, I figure it's worth it.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria
    1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
    1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 360

Past: 1995 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

I like this car, it's sad what's happened with the deer and the waterpump I replaced it on my two cars and I know it's not easy, one broken bolt on my 87, and 4 on my 88, I hope everything will be fixed on your ford.

I really like your steel wheels with dogdish cap, is it 14 or 15 inchs ?
    Regards
    1987 Colony Park LS wagon
    1988 Grand marquis LS sedan

Starting to wonder if it's bad luck to wash this car. I didn't expect the hood ornament to be a wear item.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2596.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	52315

The ring wore through and broke, fortunately during the night and not on the road. I found the spring on the floor but not the retaining wire. I'm going to try drilling and tapping it for a small eye-bolt... probably won't work, but it's cheap to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner02480 View Post
    I really like your steel wheels with dogdish cap, is it 14 or 15 inchs ?
    15".
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria

I made a split-second decision to have the white lettering facing outward on my new tires. Looks good with the dogdishes, but probably won't if I ever wanted to switch to full wheel covers.

Name:	White-letter tires.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	54455

The shop told me one of the rear wheels is slightly bent, which is concerning since I don't recall ever hitting anything that would've bent one.

Also got the A/C recharged just in time for our 90░F highs.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria

I like the white letter dog dish combo.

You are doing better than me. I forgot that whitewall tires still exist. So even though I historically wanted whitewalls for my 90, I bought black walls because I wasn’t thinking. Never bought whitewalls before.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Hey, that's the same color as my old '85!
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

Dunno how I missed this; but nice CV! That car has been through a lot in a short period of time. Are you still daily driving it?

Yep, still dailying it March/April through November, snowfall permitting. But go figure, no sooner do I get this done than the master cylinder starts going out...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    I like the white letter dog dish combo.

You are doing better than me. I forgot that whitewall tires still exist. So even though I historically wanted whitewalls for my 90, I bought black walls because I wasn’t thinking. Never bought whitewalls before.
    Whitewalls seem to be even harder to find than white letters. At least there's enough musclecar-type cars that use this tire size that there's still some options.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria

Quote Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
    Yep, still dailying it March/April through November, snowfall permitting. But go figure, no sooner do I get this done than the master cylinder starts going out...

Whitewalls seem to be even harder to find than white letters. At least there's enough musclecar-type cars that use this tire size that there's still some options.
    I've finally found two brands that carry whitewalls in the size I want to run on the cars. Toyo and Nexen both have 225/70R15 options, but you kinda have to look for them. 215/70R15 are a little easier to get whitewalls in, but are still on a "gotta look around" level.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (230K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
    I've finally found two brands that carry whitewalls in the size I want to run on the cars. Toyo and Nexen both have 225/70R15 options, but you kinda have to look for them. 215/70R15 are a little easier to get whitewalls in, but are still on a "gotta look around" level.
    Yeah, 215/75 has traditionally been the standard size on things that one would want whitewalls on.

The two sizes are close enough in diameter that it isn't much of an issue to switch between them. When I went from 215/75R15 to 225/70R15 on my Cutlass, it actually made the speedometer (well, the odometer is what I checked then) more accurate, but that car predated metric tire sizing and modern 215s are an inch shorter than their '70s counterpart while the 225s are nearly a dead ringer for the old GR70-15.

I checked this car against a GPS and the speedometer reads 2% high, so the bigger tires help in that respect as opposed to the 215s.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

when I was tire shopping for the Conti I couldn't find whitewalls in anything I'd actually pay money for. It was all either stupid expensive Vogue or Coker repops or highly questionable unknown China tires. Ended up with Sumitomo blackwalls. Those wire spoke wheels would look better with whitewalls but at this point it will have to wait a few more years until these wear or age out.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Same issue I had with my Townie. Initially, I liked the black walls but now I wish I had white walls for that iconic look. No one made a tire that I was willing to buy.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Yeah, in recent years I've heard nothing good about Coker tires. I know someone with a Model T who got tires from England because apparently the Coker tires that fit those are just plain bad at any price.

I had whitewalls on my Cutlass when I bought it, but the SS/II wheels just beg for white letters so I was going to switch regardless of availability. If I had the wire-spoke or even the plain hubcaps, it'd probably be different though. A bit sad that whitewalls are in such low demand that nobody reputable makes them anymore.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria

The heater core went bad last fall. I don't think my local shop wants to work on my stuff anymore, so I decided not to risk that and do it myself instead.

Never again.

Someone's been in here before. The upper mounting point was broken off the plenum, so two long screws were run through from the engine side. One is underneath the glob of sealant.

Name:	Plenum attachment.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	259.9 KB 
ID:	57956
    The plenum was a nightmare to get out. I had the all the dash bolts removed or loosened and I still thought I was going to break something getting it free.

Name:	Plenum and heater core removed.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	531.8 KB 
ID:	57957
    The heater core still has a label on the bottom, so it can't have been that old. The maintenance records I have run from 1994 to 2010 (71K-120K miles, I bought it in 2014 at 132K) and there's no mention of a heater core replacement. Based on the number, it's a Vista-Pro which is also sold by AutoZone as a Duralast.

Name:	Old heater core.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	414.2 KB 
ID:	57958
    Since the plenum had been out before, I'd hoped that the blend door hinge would've been fixed already, but... no. The nightmare continues.

Name:	Broken blend door hinge.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	261.4 KB 
ID:	57959
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria

I just went through the same ordeal on my car, right down to the copper heater core. Although my blend doors were still intact until I foolishly played around with them and snapped both hinges. What a cheap, flimsy design from Ford.

It's hard to really appreciate just how much space the HVAC ductwork takes up behind the dash until you've removed the heater plenum. Though if your car has manual temperature control you might at least be spared the further geometric agony of the temp blend door mounted to the top of the plenum.

At least living in a warm/hot climate has this as a benefit. Between myself and my friend, we have 4 cars and only one (mine) has a working heater core. Are the other cars going to be repaired? Not in this lifetime! This is one major pain in the ass to do.
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Nice work getting in there. Doing it yourself is the only way of getting it done right at least in my opinion as this stuff is old and any old tech may not really care or know what is going on/how to do it. It is not fun but at least you are getting it done and not paying someone else to just mess it up.

Ive been in mine twice for heater cores. Not yet since I put the restrictor in place though!
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by ootdega View Post
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by Lutrova View Post
    I just went through the same ordeal on my car, right down to the copper heater core. Although my blend doors were still intact until I foolishly played around with them and snapped both hinges. What a cheap, flimsy design from Ford.

It's hard to really appreciate just how much space the HVAC ductwork takes up behind the dash until you've removed the heater plenum. Though if your car has manual temperature control you might at least be spared the further geometric agony of the temp blend door mounted to the top of the plenum.
    Fortunately mine is a low-optioned base model - if that would've been on the top of the plenum, it'd've probably broke off during removal.

Quote Originally Posted by friskyfrankie View Post
    At least living in a warm/hot climate has this as a benefit. Between myself and my friend, we have 4 cars and only one (mine) has a working heater core. Are the other cars going to be repaired? Not in this lifetime! This is one major pain in the ass to do.
    I thought this would be easier than most other cars because no part of the A/C system is affected and the dash theoretically doesn't need to come out. If it weren't for the broken door hinge in there I'd at least have it back together by now - I don't like the idea of having to drill out a couple dozen rivets to fix it but I can't see any other option.

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Nice work getting in there. Doing it yourself is the only way of getting it done right at least in my opinion as this stuff is old and any old tech may not really care or know what is going on/how to do it. It is not fun but at least you are getting it done and not paying someone else to just mess it up.

Ive been in mine twice for heater cores. Not yet since I put the restrictor in place though!
    That was part of my concern. It's one thing to have a tech being rough with suspension or steering parts, but the interior is something else entirely in that respect.

The new heater core has a flow restrictor already installed, the old one didn't. I'm hoping that helps keep this one intact for a good long time.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria

Got the vent door taken care of today. I used two 1 1/2" hinges (National P/N N146-043) and attached them on either side of the door "arm".

Doing it the way I did has the benefit of being able to utilize two of the existing rivet holes, one on the door and one on the plenum, which helped with alignment. I had to omit a screw on the very bottom on the plenum side, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of force exerted on this so I don't think it'll be a problem. I filed away some material on the inside of the top half of the housing to accommodate the uppermost screw head, but overall this looks like it will work fine. Using 1" hinges might have been a better option though.

Name:	Vent door reinstalled.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	214.9 KB 
ID:	57998

There is a gap at the top when the door is open, but it can't be any worse than having not fixed it.

Name:	Vent door gap.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	250.4 KB 
ID:	57999

I do wonder, however, how necessary this repair is, at least on a car with the manual HVAC and only the one door to be affected. There really isn't much room for the door to go anywhere besides where it's supposed to, so I'm not sure if the hinge breaking is [I]that[I] problematic. I never noticed any issues with air flow before. But, since I never want to have to pull this plenum out again, that isn't an experiment I want to run. This really wasn't that hard to do anyway (especially compared to the rest of the heater core job) which was a pleasant surprise.

We're in for a week or more of 85-100░F temperatures here and the A/C in my truck is only marginally passable, so getting this car back on the road has become a priority, even if it costs me more in fuel.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast