1988 Lincoln Town Car Wish List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 Lincoln Town Car Wish List

I usually get what I need from various online sources such as rockauto.com and Summit Racing, etc. but there are some Lincoln-specific, hard to find or pieces I just cant justify paying full price new for that I'd like to get. Closer to Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada the better (for obvious shipping cost reasons). If you mangs have any suggestions where I can get good quality reproduction items at decent prices, I'm all ears.
    Lincoln-specific items include:
    -Interior door panels (dark blue)
    -Dash pad (also dark blue) Open to suggestions for adhesive dash pad covers at a reasonable price.
    -Hood ornament (mine is OK, but the chrome is faded bad. I'm open to having it re-chromed)
    -Rear bumper (both parts, inner main bumper and chrome face bar)
    -Power antenna (mine works fine, but it leaks water into the trunk)
    Hard to find parts include:
    -Fuel gauge sending unit. Need the analog gauge type; where it's an 88, it is the two in-tank unit setup with sending unit in the front, standalone fuel pump in the back of the tank.
    Available parts new but would prefer used:
    -K-Code rear axle parts (locking differential and gears)
    -Rear sway bar
    -87+ HO upper intake manifold and throttle body

Currently running 86 style 58mm upper, bored panther EGR spacer and flipped throttle linkage 58mm throttle body. Injectors are 19 lb truck injectors. Still running the stock panther fuel pump for now. I do have a 56 psi Mustang fuel pump but AFAIK its flow is similar to that of a panther. Did I screw up getting that type of pump or will it work better for me than the stock pump? Seems to run reasonably OK at higher RPM, but there is a definite dead spot at low RPM.

It looks like I may be moving to a more central/civilized location in Canada summer 2019. Possibly Ontario or Alberta. I'm willing to hold off on the larger parts like bumpers, rear axle parts interior parts until then. Unless of course someone can make me an offer I can't refuse
    Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
    Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

The right colour for you: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...ationFlag=true
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by nfldfordltd View Post
      I usually get what I need from various online sources such as rockauto.com and Summit Racing, etc. but there are some Lincoln-specific, hard to find or pieces I just cant justify paying full price new for that I'd like to get. Closer to Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada the better (for obvious shipping cost reasons). If you mangs have any suggestions where I can get good quality reproduction items at decent prices, I'm all ears.
      Lincoln-specific items include:
      -Interior door panels (dark blue)
      -Dash pad (also dark blue) Open to suggestions for adhesive dash pad covers at a reasonable price.
      -Hood ornament (mine is OK, but the chrome is faded bad. I'm open to having it re-chromed)
      -Rear bumper (both parts, inner main bumper and chrome face bar)
      -Power antenna (mine works fine, but it leaks water into the trunk)
      Hard to find parts include:
      -Fuel gauge sending unit. Need the analog gauge type; where it's an 88, it is the two in-tank unit setup with sending unit in the front, standalone fuel pump in the back of the tank.
      Available parts new but would prefer used:
      -K-Code rear axle parts (locking differential and gears)
      -Rear sway bar
      -87+ HO upper intake manifold and throttle body

Currently running 86 style 58mm upper, bored panther EGR spacer and flipped throttle linkage 58mm throttle body. Injectors are 19 lb truck injectors. Still running the stock panther fuel pump for now. I do have a 56 psi Mustang fuel pump but AFAIK its flow is similar to that of a panther. Did I screw up getting that type of pump or will it work better for me than the stock pump? Seems to run reasonably OK at higher RPM, but there is a definite dead spot at low RPM.

It looks like I may be moving to a more central/civilized location in Canada summer 2019. Possibly Ontario or Alberta. I'm willing to hold off on the larger parts like bumpers, rear axle parts interior parts until then. Unless of course someone can make me an offer I can't refuse
      I got another 155 lph fuel pump, 3.31:1 rear axle gears with installation kit from Motive Gear recently.
      Yesterday, I ordered a dark blue dash pad cover kit from Dashtop. Only a cool $600 with USD to CAD exchange rate and shipping. Blah.
      Kishy sent me a fuel sending unit but it turned out to be the wrong one, seems 88 Lincolns with analog gauges actually use the reverse-resistance sending unit with a solid foam float, plastic rheostat housing and printed circuit resistor instead of wound wire. For now, I have made a somewhat functioning sending unit using an OBS truck rheostat mounted on the Lincoln sending unit structure upside-down to compensate for the inverted resistance pattern.
      I now have two old-type sending units for EFI with no fuel tube and metal rheostat housings that are no good to me if anyone wants them. One is used but verified to work OK for $50 CAD shipped. The other is a NOS only used in my tank for less than a week. Verified to work correctly with smooth operation. I want $100 CAD for that one, shipped.
      Still looking for an 88-89 Lincoln fuel sending unit, part number E8VF-9275-AC.
      Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
      Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Interesting about the fuel sending unit. What is the manufacture on your car? 10th VIN character?

The part number that was on the sending unit I have (From an '89 analog cluster TC) was E9VF-9275-AA. It uses the same resistance range as the '90+ Panthers (I'll have to look up what that range was).

I have an album with this unit showing the clean up I did on it (in reverse order, 1 is the afrer pic, 2 is the after cleaning pic, 3 and 4 are comparison pics w/MGM/CV unit, 5 is part number). The surface prep stuff I used before painting it took the red off the connector (it is the same unit in all 5 pics in the album).
        http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/album.ph...chmentid=43468

It was intended for another project but no longer needed. I can get it to kishy in person and he can ship it so you from Canada. If it is what you need we can discuss more. I paid $12 for it 3 years ago which won't make or break me, so it would just be a matter of working out the shipping cost with kishy.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

VIN position 10 in my car is "J". 1988 model year base Lincoln Town Car built in May 1988.
          That sending unit in your pictures looks similar to the one that came out of my tank, except the float rod is crooked, whereas mine is virtually straight with just a slight bend.
          If you could give it to Kishy, he already has my address so that would work out excellent.
          No hurry though, after 12 years another few days/weeks is no big deal.

Comment

From Vic or otherwise, I can get you another (right) one. As mentioned before I have one already but it's got some flaky spots. I keep meaning to open it up and see if it can be refurbished (likely by way of cleaning up contacts).

88-89 Lincolns show up reasonably often, so no matter what, there's a way to get one for you. It'll happen. I'll gladly rendezvous with Vic first before playing with more junkyard lock rings so that's a plus.

Current driver: Ranger
            Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
            | 88 TC | 91 GM
            Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
            Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
            | Junkyards

Comment

Ok, J in the 10 position is model year '88 (just wanted to make sure). May of '88 is pretty late in the model year so using a sending unit more like an '89 seems like something Ford would do. Now I'm curious about when during the '88 model year the change over occurred.

This weekend looks a bit busy, I'll be away most of the weekend starting as soon as I leave the house shortly.
              Next weekend looks open though.
              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Mid-year changes on parts without clear documentation is annoying.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Comment

Working...
                X