What gauge metal is used on 2000 MGM roof panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What gauge metal is used on 2000 MGM roof panel

To tackle the hidden rust under my Damn Vinyl half roof I could buy the entire panel and cut off what I need to patch in or a much cheaper way is to buy rust repair panels but I would need to know what gauge metal was used for the roof.

If nobody knows I plan n cutting out a section until I get to good metal then measure the thickness.

I prefer to have the metal and tools I need on hand before taking a can opener to my car so if anyone knows the answer I would appreciate the information.

Thanks
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

I just remembered the weather strip is attached to the roof panel, It slides over the pre bent rain channel which is made from the same sheet metal as the roof. So I could just measure it.

Comment

if it's folded over or pinch welded, divide by 2.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I was thinking I could just measure the metal I marked and not modify the measurement. Am I wrong with this?
        Attached Files

Comment

That section doesn't look like it's two sheets welded together or rolled over from the picture. If it's not, then you are correct.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks , it is just a single sheet of metal stamped into a roof skin.

Comment

Almost. Roof skin is a separate panel bonded into place. Thought I had a photo of a roof skin being attached, but this is as close as I got.
              One body side panel making its way to body assembly.
              And the 2nd is a photo of the hand installed body extension for the extended wheelbase car. After everything is finish welded, a long wheelbase roof skin gets bonded into place (by hand).

Alex.
              Attached Files

Comment

Yeah the panel assembly has the cross supports, I was talking about the roof skin being made from one piece of sheet metal.

Thanks for the pictures

Comment

Working...
                X