Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aero TC Hearse... drum brakes?

https://lynchburg.craigslist.org/cto...564524645.html

So I remember that limos got some funky rear axle hardware like 31-splices. Did they also come with drum brakes well into the aero era?
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

I did see one at a junkyard, didn't check the year though. Limo package supposedly got 31 spline and drums.

LOUD EXHAUST IS FUN! AM I SHOUTING?
    1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

all the ones I've seen were 11" drums.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Same 11x2.25 drums as wagon/tow package boxes?

How odd. I wonder what their reasoning was behind the drums, or the 31 splines.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Looked like tow package drums. Only difference is they had an ABS tone ring in the mix. It was a stamped sheet metal "hat" that sat on the axle flange between the flange and drum for the sensor to read on.

31 spline was probably just for strength, why the drums, not sure unless its parking brake / emergency brake related. The wee little baby drums inside the discs are much weaker in that department.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

also a larger axle (re: truck size)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yeah it was a fatter shaft that used larger bearings than standard Panther stuff, I guess that would have been relevant to mention. The spline count is really not all that important since that isn't the weak point on the axle for these vehicles.

Comment

Working...
              X