Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust Manifold Gaskets

As a quick aside from the exhaust work in my Lincoln thread:

When I removed my existing manifolds, there were no gaskets present, which I understand to be normal for the factory original manifolds.

If I reinstall the original manifolds, can I just bolt them right back on with no gaskets and making no changes to the mating surfaces?

I have gaskets on hand if needed, and expect I will need to use them for the 90 TC manifolds if I go that route, but I'm unsure if I need to use any when reusing the original ones.

Current driver: wagon
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Take a straight edge to the manifold and heads after cleaning the mating surfaces if neither are warped your best to run it without gaskets.
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

I had no issues putting my stock manifolds back on without any gasket since they came off the same engine without gaskets.
      Checking things like EaO said can put your mind at ease.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

As long as surface contamination has not been allowed to occur, ie: rust, you shouldn't have any issues if everything remains straight. Of course, if there ends up being a leak, you'll get to add gaskets later... so you might just do it anyhow so you don't have to later.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I took a good look at them...no straight edge or anything scientific, just my eyes.

There was no pitting (not on the mating surfaces anyway).
          There was no pattern indicating a prior exhaust leak, except on #5 which looks like it may have. However, the bolts on the 5-8 manifold were just barely past finger tight so that may have something to do with it.

I took a gamble on it and just bolted it right back together. It isn't going to be the end of the world if I need to adjust this after the fact such as adding gaskets.

Time will tell if I will regret this choice lol.

Current driver: wagon
          Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
          | 88 TC | 91 GM
          Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
          Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

You are normally better off doing like you did by not installing aftermarket gaskets on a stock engine that did not come with them orginally.

Gaskets just add another part that will be effected by expansion and contraction.

When i turned wrenches for a living, I would use a straight edge to check a vehciles exhaust manifold and head normally if it had a leak i was attempting to repair, I normally would not do this on a regular service when a leak wasnt present.

I would focus more on making sure I had clean surfaces and good bolts, if the bolts were at all rusted, pitted, or had rounded heads i would replace them. then if possible I would tourque them to according to the manual then recheck them after a thermal cycle.

All of this was dependant on the type of engine and if it had known common problems with exhaust leaks. Like a old Ford inline 6 cylinder.
            2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

Working...
            X