Mk VI EVTM Pages Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mk VI EVTM Pages Needed

I'm in need of a few pages (exactly which ones, I don't know) from a Mark VI EVTM. Scans or good quality photos work. Since I do not have an actual Mark VI, I'd prefer to avoid buying the whole book unless necessary. "Necessary" will likely be what happens in a few days if nothing turns up here.

I am looking for the pages that cover the following topics:
    Headlights
    Autolamps (automatic headlamps/delayed exit)
    Headlamp door operation (this is a mix of vacuum and electrical so may be in multiple places)
    Any page directly connected to the above e.g. if a critical part of understanding the circuit goes off the page to another section.

Looking for not only the diagram pages, but also the text description pages where there's usually a paragraph blurb explaining how things work.

Due to resolution limits please do not attach them to the forum, use third party image hosting such as imgur.com so they can be viewed at their original size.

Much appreciated - thank you!
    Last edited by kishy; 04-28-2018, 01:26 AM.

Current driver: wagon
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

The urgency on this is more or less gone, as I figured out what I needed, but the info would still be appreciated. Knowledge, power all that stuff.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

Mark vi stuff is like unobtanium on the web. Checked a couple of my usual suspects and nothing. so far.

Comment

This is all I can find in Alldata. No text info unfortunately.
        Attached Files
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          This is all I can find in Alldata. No text info unfortunately.
          I also have AllData, and did not turn up all of those, so thank you. I'm specifically looking for the Ford wording which is unlikely to be found anywhere other than the original EVTM. I am hoping there's a blurb specifically in reference to the inner workings of the vacuum magic box, over and above my own findings from tinkering and the diagrams.

There are a handful on eBay for the typical EVTM going rate, but me buying one seems 1) wasteful of my money and 2) wasteful of a good EVTM when a Mark VI owner could benefit more.

The autolamp page confirms I borrowed my "lights on" source from the very same wire that it would use in a Mark VI (R/Y after main light switch) but still leaves to question why I had to do my diode witchcraft to make them close. Though, that may be a product of my lights being relayed, thus not putting the lamp filaments in direct electrical contact with the capacitor in the autolamp vacuum box, thus not allowing a speedy discharge (which is what I think was happening to hold them open for an extended time).

Magic box refers to the "Headlight Cover Solenoid Valve" of course.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

dammit, I have the evtm here but can't find it at the moment
            Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

What year? I've got a 1980 Ford shop manual disc and a 1980 Mark VI paper EVTM

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
              '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
              '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

I don't think the details in question will vary in a meaningful way from year to year. The 80 stuff should probably do the job nicely, paper EVTM may be easier to navigate (for you, to find the stuff) in my opinion.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                | Junkyards

Comment

This should cover it all
                  • Autolamp headlight switch

Click image for larger version

Name:	1980 Mark VI Autolamp - Headlight switch.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	1283485
                  • Autolamp solenoid vac switch operation image

Name:	1980 Mark VI Autolamp - Cover solenoid vac switch.PNG
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	1283486
                  • Autolamp Solenoid vac valve

Name:	1980 Mark VI Autolamp - Cover solenoid vac valve.PNG
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	1283487
                  Last edited by phayzer5; 05-06-2018, 11:37 PM.

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                  '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                  '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Big thanks, that does cover what I needed (+ the related info that magically arrived to me elsewhere).

It is confirmed, then, that the original design expects the system to ground via the headlamp doors:

When circuits 15 are turned OFF by the autolamp amplifier or by the manual headlamp switch, however, several things happen:
                    1. The OPEN solenoid is de-activated and vents the OPEN side of the headlamp cover vacuum motor.
                    2. The drop in voltage in lead 15 causes the electronic switch to close and connect the CLOSE solenoid to circuit 15 (which is now at zero voltage).
                    3. Current flows from wire 54 through the CLOSE solenoid, through the electronic switch, through wire 15, and through the headlamps to ground. This actuates the CLOSE solenoid to connect vacuum to the CLOSE side of the headlamp cover vacuum motor.
                    4. The drop in voltage at wire 15 also actuates a time delay capacitor in the electronic switch. When the capacitor becomes fully charged (the delay is long enough for the headlamp doors to operate), the electronic switch opens to cut off the current flow through the CLOSE solenoid.
                    This confirms what I found: if a Mark VI owner relays their headlamps, the doors will misbehave (stay open for an extended time after turning the lights off, and hold the relay closed keeping the lights on as well) because the capacitor cannot discharge to ground via the headlamp bulbs, and is instead discharging to ground through the headlamp relay.
                    Last edited by kishy; 05-07-2018, 09:22 AM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                    | Junkyards

Comment

Working...
                    X