Stalling while cold engine, improvement when warmed up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stalling while cold engine, improvement when warmed up

Hey guys. Need some GMN brainpower on this one.

87 Grand Marquis
    139K miles

On a cold engine if I start the car it will run for one second than stall out. Only way to keep it running is to give it some gas. Once the car has fully warmed up stalling won’t happen on idle but it still idles rough. Now this happened in about a week and progressively got worse as the week went on.

When I drive it you can tell something ain’t right because there isn’t a lot of power and the car tends surge a lot while driving. Again. Way worse the colder the engine but it’s always there.

Got two codes:

Codes are saying

R41: O2 Sensor Voltage low/system lean

R91: O2 sensor Signal out of range/always lean

O2 Sensors are original. My question is will bad sensors cause the symptoms I’m getting? Or should I look elsewhere as to the the problem.

The TPS is within voltage and the IAC motor is functioning and sealed. Engine timing is also correct. We had to replace the ECM a few months back because it died so I don’t think it’s that either.

Thoughts?

The oxygen sensors do nothing until the engine is warmed up so that won't be your cold start issue. Both sides showing lean tells me possibly a vacuum leak, clogged fuel filter, or maybe clogged injectors. Not impossible the sensors are bad but they don't tend to code when that happens, and both going at once is not so likely.

Check the air and coolant temperature sensors. They will have a lot to do with startup and fuel mix.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Is if it helps the surging is very rhythmic like someone breathing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had the same symptoms on my '86, replaced a ton of shit.....nothing helped........now I get rough idle when cold, and surge, when hot goes away.....I am done tossing cash at this.......even if it is a Tudor
        Originally posted by rsolis View Post
        Is if it helps the surging is very rhythmic like someone breathing.

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
          I had the same symptoms on my '86, replaced a ton of shit.....nothing helped........now I get rough idle when cold, and surge, when hot goes away.....I am done tossing cash at this.......even if it is a Tudor
          Ugh

If you figure it out lemme know lol. I’ll do the same. It’s annoying.

Comment

Will do!!
            Originally posted by rsolis View Post
            Ugh

If you figure it out lemme know lol. I’ll do the same. It’s annoying.

Comment

Definitely do the IAT and ECT sensors. My first '90 did the same shit until both of those had been replaced. Also check for vacuum leaks, i had some of those too...

Comment

yes, vacuum leaks.

Check the timing too. Both will make these run stupid if not right and tight.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Can anyone do a quick walkthrough on how to test and the numbers on the multimeter I should be looking for? for the two sensors?

I’m gonna triple check for vacuum leaks again today.

Comment

ECT: http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinjection/page28.html
                    ACT/IAT: http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinjection/page29.html

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Compression test all cylinders at 130PSI. Changed the spark plugs while I was at it below are pics. Gonna test those sensors tomorrow didn’t have enough time.

Comment

Looks like half are flat worn out and the other half are getting there. Time to replace plugs.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah, those were overdue. Looks to be burning the ole midnight oil too.
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Are the Ambient Air Temp and Intake air temp sensors the same thing? I’m seeing both terms used online and in all data. And one more thing and I thank you guys sooooo much for everything: where is the Intake Air Sensor located. I know the Coolant Temp Sensor is up front where the water hose is connected

Comment

No, Ambient Air Temp sensor is for cars with ATC. My AAT is plastic, and my IAT is not. If you have manual heat/ac controls then your car may not even have the AAT.
                              The Intake Air Temp sensor is located on the driver side of the lower intake, forward of center of the intake iirc.

Edit: IAT is also often referred to as the Air Charge Temp sensor or ACT.
                              As seen in the pic below labeled ACT:
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Coolant_ACT_Sender_Loc.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	1283468

The coolant sensor on the left in that picture (pass side front) is the important one that you would care about. The coolant sensor on the right in that picture (driver side front of lower intake) is only for the idiot light on the dash.
                              Last edited by VicCrownVic; 05-02-2018, 08:30 AM.
                              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Working...
                              X