This is Twilight zone shit..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is Twilight zone shit..........

Now I need the forum gurus to really get down with this malady.

Today I attempted to open the windows on my '86 MGM Tudor.
    When I pressed the buttons............nothing...........I then take my fist and "punch" the arm rest hard........boom windows work......then stop.......also......attempting to lock the doors inside ......door locks do not work, but!!!!!!!!! pushing the door lock switch causes the courtesy light to come on the passenger side, if I attempt to turn on the courtesy lights from the head lamp switch, nothing happens.

When I stopped at a light I opened the door, then slammed it shut.........the windows now worked as did the door locks.
    But............it did not last.......I had to leave the car and lock it with the key.........driving around NYC with no ability to lock oneself in is not a restful feeling! And i need to windows to work~!!

So, what the F is going on with my ride???

loose grounds. Check the connection on the body behind the kick panel just below the dash. Bolt with black wires attached to it. Should be tight.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'd also like to add that when I first got my Town Car, the passenger side controls barely worked or didn't. I spent some time rocking the switches back & forth and presto, they worked great again. Must have been a lot of corrosion on the contacts which made sense as it was a one owner car and nobody sat in the back seat and the passenger seat was left empty after his wife died.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

It is common on older cars to have the insulation for the wiring get old and dry rotted at the door pivot points, if this old hard and possibly now brittle wiring gets flexed enough the wire can and will snap in two.

When you get some time to fool with it, try and replicate the problem you are having with the door open and wiggle the harness near the hinges to see if anything changes.
        2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

Door lock switch on my driver's side worked intermittently when i first got this car. No amount of fucking about with it made a difference and i thought it had a short in the door wiring. Somehow it fixed itself and i haven't had an issue with it in a long time. I dunno.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
            Door lock switch on my driver's side worked intermittently when i first got this car. No amount of fucking about with it made a difference and i thought it had a short in the door wiring. Somehow it fixed itself and i haven't had an issue with it in a long time. I dunno.
            Ghost mechanic?
            '79 Continental Town Car
            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
            X