Tripminder install on a 89 mgm help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tripminder install on a 89 mgm help

I got a tripminder out of the yard and it was off a 89 mgm. I am going to put it on a 89 mgm. I ended up cutting the wires and am not sure how to wire it up to mine. I assume that a couple of the wires are for the clock and are already on mine. But I am not sure what wires I need to connect to others and where to connect them. The pictures are of what notes I made and the 2 different connectors I got both ends of. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-04-30-10-56-26.png
Views:	1
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	1304243Click image for larger version

Name:	0428181549a.jpg
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	1304244Click image for larger version

Name:	0428181549.jpg
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1304245Click image for larger version

Name:	0428181432.jpg
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	1304246Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-04-30-10-56-26.png
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	1304243Click image for larger version

Name:	0428181549a.jpg
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	1304244Click image for larger version

Name:	0428181549.jpg
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1304245Click image for larger version

Name:	0428181432.jpg
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	1304246

Blue/red is light dimmer input. Blue/violet is fuel flow, green/white is vss+ black is vss - aka ground

Comment

It has been years but I found a connector in there which I was able to plug directly into the tripminder connector without doing any wiring. I switched from a clock to the tripminder on the 89 LS. I believe the wire did not seem long enough to reach the TM at first but I rerouted it behind the dash trim and it worked just fine. It is on the driver side.
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

yeah, if you pull the harness out of the 89, it will just plug into another 89. You may need to un-tape the factory connector where its hidden under the dash but the wiring is there. Getting that harness out is a pain in the ass though.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i should have gotten the harness cause i think there might be a short in my lighting wiring somewhere that makes them go crazy.

Comment

The harness in question only provides VSS and fuel flow signal. The rest of the stuff comes out of the existing plug for the clock. Memory is fuzzy here, but I want to say the existing plug goes into a socket on the harness, and there is a very short length of wire between that and the connector for the tripminder. Been years since I actually had my hands on one of those but its something fairly plug and play like that.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The 89 has the vss, dimmer, and fuel flow on one connector sitting above the headlamp switch I believe. It's in a real stupid place. It's a gray 4 pinned square connector with round pins.

Comment

So there's enough wire to fish it from there to the trip minder's location? Fords the same way, right? Are earlier years this way as well or is this '89 only?
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

On my 89 when I added it from another 89, i loosened the metal shell on top and removed. It was taped behind the instrument cluster, above it, on a harness. Then I took the junkyard one and clipped the appropriate connectors in and voila - Tripminder plug and play.

Go back and get the harness, splice back together what you snipped and make your life easier.
                  -Nick M.
                  Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                  03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

The 89 harness is year-specific but Ford and Mercury are the same. Older ones plug in someplace different, though I don't remember exactly where. Some of the older ones you have to add the fuel flow pin to the ECM connector too.

Comment

Ah. Thanks for the info.
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

This is worth checking out:

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...r-Installation

Comment

Working...
                        X