Big brakes on the Marauder...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big brakes on the Marauder...

I did the big brake upgrade on the Marauder today. It was a Zack (from MM.net) design consisting of GT500 rotors, Vette calipers/pads, custom brackets from lji372 on MM.net, TCE braided lines. I went with Raybestos R300 rotors all the way around. Wasn't wild about the bacon strip shaped slotting, but they're not bad once the wheels are mounted. Also installed Gabriel Ultras on the back since my OE shocks were leaking last year.

Pics.

I did this yesterday:

And put the front of the car up in the air as well:

The rotors had to have the center hole opened up a bit, nothing five minutes with a die grinder couldn't handle. I also had to file off a bit to mount the custom caliper brackets; 30 seconds of work per side is all it took.

Working slow and alone, it took me just under 3 hours from the first spun wrench to last wrench being put away after the road test.

Single best thing I've ever done to the car. Pedal feel is EXCELLENT. As others have said, the stops are dead even and will suck your eyeballs out of your head. If you have a whale, I highly highly HIGHLY recommend this mod...
    '91 LTD Country Squire LX | '82 Cougar GS wagon |'03 Marauder | ' 18 Flex Limited EB
    formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '03 SAP P71, '04 CVLX (now in pantera77's stable), '10 P7B

Very nice. Would be cool to put this setup on a box.

Comment

Nice. There's a guy on stangnet who did something similar to his Fox with Vette calipers on stock 94+ Cobra 13" rotors. The Vette calipers have larger pads that cover more rotor surface area than the stock Cobra calipers he was running. Looks really nice!
      —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
      1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
      1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
      1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

I wanna do this to my marauder. For me the brake suck they should of upgraded the brake from the factory. I fell like my 88 brake are better.

Comment

What kind of size difference are we talking about between the new and old? More pad surface, bigger calipers, etc? I also presume this would apply to any 03+ car?
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Should work on any 2003+.

'91 LTD Country Squire LX | '82 Cougar GS wagon |'03 Marauder | ' 18 Flex Limited EB
            formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '03 SAP P71, '04 CVLX (now in pantera77's stable), '10 P7B

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
              Very nice. Would be cool to put this setup on a box.
              Would this even fit on a box? I'm staring down a big brake upgrade AND a leaky steering box replacement on my '91, so if it fits the upper control arms/etc, this is a possibility, depending on how much it adds to the budget over and above the all new parts/front end rebuild w/normal big brake stuff.

If this works and I have the cash, I'll put "Best Stoppin' Box Inna World! Inna Woooorld!" in my sig.
              Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 05-08-2018, 01:28 PM.
              Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

If your using an 03+ chassis, sure.
                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I am putting them on my box. Already have most of the parts just gotta find time to do it.

Comment

havent checked out the newer 03s front cross member that close in the back of my shop but arnt they quite a bit different than a box even with the big brake set up lower and upper arms?
                    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                      havent checked out the newer 03s front cross member that close in the back of my shop but arnt they quite a bit different than a box even with the big brake set up lower and upper arms?
                      Completely different.

Comment

so what brakes are you putting on your box.

I did design a radial mount for 2000ish big brake set up to mount 6 piston wilwood front calipers. if i remember correctly it widens the front track width which would screw with my wheel spacing and would have to use 18" wheels all year. already have 4 piston wilwoods on the rear bolted right on.

Comment

Same ones that Adam put on his Marauder. My car has newer frame fyi.

Comment

Damn it I wish somebody just made a kit with badass brakes for a box. Just don't have the time or patience to cobble all this shit together. Looked on Baer and Wilwood's websites. They make kits for every ridiculous unwanted car out there with the exception of panthers. WTF? Is there some kind of conspiracy going on?

Comment

I am going with the big brake swap but using parts from a place the specializes in police brakes. my front calipers have silicone seals. they handle extreme tems. they handle nothing but raybestos and give you fleet pricing. Going to order front brake hoses from them in a bit raybestos for my big brake swap.

Comment

Working...
                              X