No announcement yet.

Big brakes on the Marauder...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speaking on the box side of things, and also think out loud.. doesnt the "run of the mill" big brake upgrade for boxes entail using newer spindles and control arms and such? if so, wouldnt the OP's setup be the same for a box? or am i confusing aero parts with whale parts?... again, thinking out loud.. bear with me
    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
    Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

I suppose the question is surrounding the interoperability of the 03+ spindle with the 79-02 lower control arms and any ball joint (e.g. is there a lower ball joint that fits the lower arm, which can attach to the 03+ spindle), as well as some mixture of upper arm and ball joint allowing the same, as well as the outer tie rod end of the pre-rack & pinion setup being properly fitted and positioned relative to the newer spindle.

It seems to me if the answer was an easy yes to all of the above then it would have been done ages ago.

Current driver: Ranger
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

The 03+ setup uses a front strut instead of separate coil over shock like the 79-02. Different control arms, different spindles, different wheel offset, racked peanuts steering instead of gearbox... the list probably goes on.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The 98-02 stuff is completely different than the 03+ stuff. Beyond the body mount locations, pretty much the entire frame is not the same, front and rear suspension are both different.

98-02 stuff is not quite identical to box stuff, but its definitely of the same design and with a little bit of mix n match it can bolt to the old frame. Look under an 03+ and you may as well not even be looking under the same car.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sorry if my post confused things. I know this site is more box-oriented but I figured there was enough '03+ folks reading to make the post.
            '91 LTD Country Squire LX | '82 Cougar GS wagon |'03 Marauder | ' 18 Flex Limited EB
            formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '03 SAP P71, '04 CVLX (now in pantera77's stable), '10 P7B

Comment

Originally posted by a_d_a_m View Post
              Sorry if my post confused things. I know this site is more box-oriented but I figured there was enough '03+ folks reading to make the post.
              No problem... just seems some folks need clarification about just how different the newer cars are.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by a_d_a_m View Post
                Not at all buddy, just lamenting how much easier it is to upgrade the newer stuff vs. older, and what's available. Realistically the whale/aero stuff is probably a good enough improvement on original box garbage but i just want gooder, and also a complete kit instead a compilation of junk i have to scrape together. Oh well, get there someday.

Comment

I did find a while back brimbo made a kit for the front brakes on a 03 and up but price was around 4K maybe 3.5K discount
                  Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Just a thought but couldn’t someone just make custom brackets that attached to the 98-02 spindle to the say the vette or 03+ Brakes (or convert it to fit Mustag brakes). Because technically that what the big brake swap on the marauder is just custom brackets and bigger calipers and rotors

Comment

Zack did that on his Town Car.

Comment

No real reason you couldn't make a custom caliper bracket and use different rotors on a 98-02 arrangement. There is nothing magic in there, the stock bracket simply bolts on.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I wonder if any of the Jeep Cherokee 5x4.5 bolt pattern stuff fits or is any bigger/better since the rotors might fit on. I don't know about their calipers or pads or mounting depth/thickness, but the parts might be worth a look/comparison and could be a possibility.
                          Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Here's some interesting trivia I found looking up the front rotors over the years. The 03-11 are actually nearly half an inch smaller than the 98-02's we all love to swap on our boxes so much.
                            Couldn't find new thickness for them all, but could find the Discard Thickness. The 92-94 are the exact same as the 79-91's except not hubbed. The 07-14 GT500 rotors are nearly 2" larger than the stock 03-11.

79-91 - 11.08 DT - 0.972
                            92-94 - 11.08 DT - 0.972
                            95-97 - 11.45 DT - 0.974
                            98-02 - 12.44 DT - 1.014
                            03-11 - 12.015 DT - 1.037
                            GT500 - 13.976 DT - 1.181
                            Last edited by pantera77; 05-12-2018, 11:26 PM.
                            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I almost forgot.

They made me a set of these that will work on a 98-02 spindle.

Stay tuned...
                              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Put a set of these on my Marquis
                                Attached Files
                                2010 Mercury Grand Marquis LS “The Douche” - 70mm throttle body, P71 airbox, 21mm rear sway bay, dual exhaust, Dodge rims, 89K and counting. 4/2018-
                                1966 Ford Thunderbird (390FE) “Fordy McFordface” - engine rebuild No. 3. 11/2016-
                                RIP 2005 Buick LaCrosse CXS “Jumba” - gone too soon, 229K. 6/2017-2/2018
                                RIP 2001 Chevrolet Tracker LT “Featherbrick” - gone too late, 156K POS. 6/2016-9/2016.
                                Sold 2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - 198K. 6/2016-4/2018

Comment

Working...
                                X