95 town car mzt upgrade obd question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

95 town car mzt upgrade obd question

Sup guys. I got my 04 cvpi air box and 80mm maf sensor etc.. I contacted mos speed shop and spoke with marty and he thinks i need the chip like 92.5 - 94 panthers would use, but not 100% sure. Mines is made 6/95 and it has the obd 2 plug. Does any one have any experience with a 95?

1995 models are OBD-II, so they’ll be able to take a tune via a tuner instead of a chip.

Running the later zip tube for the airbox will be your issue. The 1995 models used the ‘91-‘94 type intake. That puts the throttle body opening facing the the radiator support. The 1996+ have a different intake and their throttle body opening faces the driver side fender.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Made 6/95 That could be a early 96 model, or a 95 model. If it's got the stupid intake... you can mate up with the 04 intake tube using a turn and straight intake pipe to reach over to the side... but it might be late enough to be the plastic intake. You would definitely need a tune when changing the MAF sensor. You could unbolt the MAF you have (the 4 bolts into the air filter housing) and bolt it to the new airbox if the bolt pattern is the same (can't remember, but I seem to remember my 93 MAF fitting on the later airbox I had). Then you won't need a tune, but may need a to wrap the MAF with a spacer to make up the difference to the new tube. Then swap on the new MAF when you get to the point of actually getting a tune done.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Believe it is the same pattern sly but you lose the benefit of a larger MAF, however much or little it might be. If it's got the shitty intake, it could always be swapped to the later one, if one were inclined to change intakes. Seems like a lot of trouble to make 200hp but that's just me. 4.6 cars are cool but return on investment when it comes to speed parts is pretty depressing. That plus smog crap is why i sold my '98 and converted to boxes.

Comment

The '04 airbox uses a slot MAF, right?
          No fitting yours in that, you'll also need some wiring changes to make it plug in.

LOUD EXHAUST IS FUN! AM I SHOUTING?
          1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
            Believe it is the same pattern sly but you lose the benefit of a larger MAF, however much or little it might be. If it's got the shitty intake, it could always be swapped to the later one, if one were inclined to change intakes. Seems like a lot of trouble to make 200hp but that's just me. 4.6 cars are cool but return on investment when it comes to speed parts is pretty depressing. That plus smog crap is why i sold my '98 and converted to boxes.
            There's no benefit to the larger MAF without a tune. It may actually cause problems, though typically it just confuses the PCM and it may run lean before the O2s come on-line and help with fuel trim to fatten up the mix.

Originally posted by BlackVic_P71 View Post
            The '04 airbox uses a slot MAF, right?
            No fitting yours in that, you'll also need some wiring changes to make it plug in.

Hence the reason I said to swap the whole housing off the filter box.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
              Hence the reason I said to swap the whole housing off the filter box.
              Yeah, 2004+ CVPI and 2005+ Panthers have a one piece airbox top, nothing can be done without cutting.

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Forgot about the slot maf, which is ironic given that i used an '04 airbox on my box when i did the fancy top-end shit. I used a c&l maf with a SD mustang zip tube, cut the slot-maf part off the airbox and attached the c&l with a silicone coupler.

Yes you'd of course need the tune with the 80mm maf and i believe adtr or blue oval chips sells an adapter if you want to use the slot maf. If you have the IAT sensor that goes in the airbox you'll have to drill a hole to re-install that unless you want to dick with wiring it into the later maf harness. I still have some 4.6 crap laying around i should get all together and sell.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackVic_P71 View Post
                  Yeah, 2004+ CVPI and 2005+ Panthers have a one piece airbox top, nothing can be done without cutting.

Ah... that does put a damper on that idea.

Comment

1995 is a bastard year. I had to have a custom chip burned for mine to run the maf. It was not cheap.
                    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                      Ah... that does put a damper on that idea.
                      Well, it isn't difficult to swap to the slot MAF. I do have one in my '89, if course, it was a change from no MAF so it may have been easier for me.

Comment

Thank you all for the info. I plan on doing this pretty soon. I have airbox, slot style cvpi maf with connector and wiring and part of the tube it goes in. And ill probly just "finesse" the stock tube on til i find a better solution. Couple more things. Does anybody have a certain tune i should get? And 2 does anybody have any info on how to wire new style maf sensor to my 95? Thanks

Comment

use this article to compare notes between the MAFs and reconnect wires as needed: http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford/...sensor-tests-2

if you have a 4-wire, you will need to use the two wires from the air temp sensor mounted to the side of the MAF on the air filter box to tie the outer wires on the 6-wire MAF. Doesn't matter which one is which for that.

Comment

Working...
                          X