Rims and tires 16 vs 17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rims and tires 16 vs 17

If I checked it correctly tire profile is the same with 16' and 17' rims - 60. How it's possible ? If this is correct, total diameter of whole wheel is different for 16' and 17' rims... My car has 17", tires 225/60. I would like to buy steel 16' for winter time and I'm wonder about tire sizees - also 225/60, but 16'..?
    '09 Grand Marquis LS - Light Ice Blue / Medium Light Stone, J-mod, dual exhaust with Magnaflow 11224, PI intake, Marty's tune

I went on https://tiresize.com/chart/ and compared the 16" and 17" rim tire sizes. A 16" tire at 225/60R16 = 26.6"x8.9"R16"-hole vs a 17" rim with 225/60R17 = 27.6"x8.9"R17"-hole. There's a 1" difference in the outside tire diameter overall which one would expect with a 1" bigger rim.

You can go to their tire size calculator and reverse the numbers and play around to understand it. It gives you a handy chart with 20, 30, 40mph etc on your speedometer, and what speed you'll actually be traveling, i.e. if you were changing from 225/60R16s to 225/60/R17s for your car, at 40 on your speedometer, you'll be going 41.9mph, at 70, it's 72.6, only enough to get a ticket if the cop is being a real needle-dinkus.

You can also check dropping from the 17" size to the 16" (if your car originally came with the 17" tires you could get a slightly different size/higher sidewall tire and possibly match it up exactly, if your speedometer was dead-nuts on for actual speed, but even your tire inflation amount can affect your speedometer reading as much as 1mph I think I read somewhere) and you get 40 on the speedometer = 38.6 real speed, and 70 indicates a real speed of 67.5mph.

Also, certain aspect ratio tires may not be manufactured in a load rating high enough for the fully loaded curb weight of our specific vehicle. So you may be able to get 225/60R16s or 17s for a Lincoln Town Car, but all the 225/55R17s may be only rated for lighter 1990s Acuras or something. I remember reading back when the Nissan Versa or one of those compact cars came out, that it took an oddball tire size that only one manufacturer made at the time. The base price on the car (so I'm probably misremembering the exact make/model) was about $16k with delivery. Well, if you went looking for a set of 4 replacement tires in the required aspect ratio/size for your new $16k car, they'd cost $1600 retail. The magazine I read it in was pointing out that people were going to be in for a huge sticker shock until some competitors entered that tire size/model market and drove the price down, I mean, I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be paying 10% of the MSRP of a brand new car to replace the tires!
    Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 05-12-2018, 05:10 PM.
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

225/60/16" should be the stock size. The sidewall ought to be shorter on a 17" to maintain the same overall wheel diameter otherwise the speedometer will be wrong.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think some of the later cars did have a 17” option. Those may have been 235/55R17. That profile would be similar to the 225/60R16 and 215/70R15.

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

stock diameter I guess I should have said. 26.6" has been the OD since the beginning it seems.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The LX sport came with those 17" fanblade wheels.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I don’t know if it makes a difference but my stocks size are 215/70/15 and i went with 235/60/16 supposedly only difference is a few mm just depends on rims and tires you pick. Next thing im looking at is some 18 or 20. It just depends on the tires and wheel combo you pick because by this measurement on mine going to 20 inch it’s only like .3 inch difference in wheel diameter with small tire. But mostly likely on mine I would go with a 18

Comment

My car is equiped from factory in 17' Even in official brochure for 2009 cars You can find that 17' are the only one rim size:

http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/...rquis_2009.pdf

So question is: if Ford change calibration of speedometer for 17 rims cars? Which tires set should I buy:

- summer 225/60/17, winter 225/65/16
                - summer 225/55/17, winter 225/60/16

??
                '09 Grand Marquis LS - Light Ice Blue / Medium Light Stone, J-mod, dual exhaust with Magnaflow 11224, PI intake, Marty's tune

Comment

Stock regular size is 225/60-17 Except for performance option 235/55-17

As sexy said...
                  So if you want to go to 16" rims the usual choice would be 225/65-16. This should keep you relatively close to overall diameter. I would stick with at least a 99 load rating.

This gives you more sidewall to make up for a smaller wheel diameter.

Also might I suggest you update your signature to include ID of your vehicle.

Happy Motoring,
                  Jay
                  Last edited by jaywish; 05-13-2018, 07:14 AM.
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

So I will buy 225/65/17 fo winter - thank You for support Guys!

How can I add my car to my profile..?

Comment

I've had these 3 sizes on the front of my '05:
                      255/50-17
                      255/45-18
                      255/40-19
                      They are all 27" tires and as you can see, with the same width the sidewall goes down by 5 on each 1" increase in wheel size.
                      1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Atropos View Post
                        So I will buy 225/65/17 fo winter - thank You for support Guys!

How can I add my car to my profile..?
                        Did you mean 225/65-16?

Under Forum Actions, Edit profile
                        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Yes, I had on mind 225/65/16, stupid mistake

Comment

and I don't know how to add signature to my profile

Comment

Originally posted by Atropos View Post
                              and I don't know how to add signature to my profile
                              Under Forum Actions, Edit profile, Edit Signature
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Working...
                              X