Thump while driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thump while driving

So this has been going on for a while now, but seems like it may possibly be getting worse. While driving at a constant speed, really any speed, if I let off the accelerator for a second or two, then step back on it, even lightly, I feel a thump. At first I thought it was the trans mount going bad, because that's about where it feels like it's coming from. I have replaced the mount, and it didn't seem to change anything. I also can't seem to feel any play in the driveshaft u joints. The only other thing that comes to mind is when shifting from Park to Reverse and vise versa, I hear a "clunk" type sound coming from the rear end, but nothing worse than any other rwd vehicle I've had. Any ideas?

-1994 Lincoln Town Car...always under construction

Really sounds like a u-joint. Especially the clunk into R & D.
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

+1 u-joints. Typical sound when shifting between reverse and drive or from park to any gear when the u-joints are wasted.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Let the wife out of the trunk.

Or replace the U joints. Its probably one of these. If someone has been into the rear and completely f'd the gear mesh adjustments it will do this but you'd have other issues as well. If nobody has been in there fiddling about you're probably fine.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sounds like I need to go ahead and replace the u-joints then, that'd be nice if it solves the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            Let the wife out of the trunk.

Or replace the U joints. Its probably one of these. If someone has been into the rear and completely f'd the gear mesh adjustments it will do this but you'd have other issues as well. If nobody has been in there fiddling about you're probably fine.
            ..Or maybe I should just let her out of the trunk...Nahh

Comment

Working...
            X