Gearbox dynamic oil change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gearbox dynamic oil change

I would like to ask about way to change oil in transmission in USA - are You change oil in dynamic way (with special machine with pump), or normal way with gravity flow ? In my car there is 4R75E. I asked one workshop which are worknig only with US cars, they give me price for it and told that they recommend dynamic way of oil change. How this thing looks in USA ?
    '09 Grand Marquis LS - Light Ice Blue / Medium Light Stone, J-mod, dual exhaust with Magnaflow 11224, PI intake, Marty's tune

Drop the pan, change the filter, put the pan back on, and top it up.
    That's the usual method. If the fluid is really in need of changing completely, then use the dynamic to change it all. Just dropping the pan only requires about 4 quarts/liters instead of the full 12-14.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

What he said. Pan and filter is all you really need if the fluid isn't in terrible condition. If it needs further attention, I'd still do the pan and filter first.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Which colour has fresh Mercon V ? Is 4R75E has a dipstick ? I think that probably I will use dynamic method, because I don't know anything about service history of this car. Next changes I will do in regular way. I think that this will be more safe for gearbox. How offen should I change oil in gearbox ?
        '09 Grand Marquis LS - Light Ice Blue / Medium Light Stone, J-mod, dual exhaust with Magnaflow 11224, PI intake, Marty's tune

Comment

fresh color: red. Should have a disptick... though I'm not sure about this on later models. If you don't know the service history... changing the filter is a must. If you find a plastic end floating in the fluid, that's the dipstick assembly plug and the transmission has never been serviced.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The guy that rebuilt a couple transmissions for me told me if I change the fluid every 30,000 miles or 50,000 KM he would never see me again.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

no one has mentioned draining the torq converter.

Have only done one dynamic change long ago a friend went through a flooded area and got some water in his trans. it saved his trans but after the dynamic we dropped the pan and replaced the filter.
              Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I think that this time I will change oil with dynamic method with filter change ofc. next 50.000 km will be regular way of changing.

What about j-mod for this 4R75E ? I read that this generation has factory a lot of changes taken from j-mod. Is it make any sense to make j-mod for this gearbox ?

Comment

I don't think the 4R70w or 4R75w have converter drains.

Comment

So I will ask also about j-mod in my workshop

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      I don't think the 4R70w or 4R75w have converter drains.
                      4R70Ws up until about 1999 or 2000 had drain plugs. I know I’ve got one on my ‘97, but I’ve never drained it using it before.

My Cars:
                      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

so its a late model thing. I knew at some point they stopped putting drains in there. I thought it was the 4R70w switch in 1995.

Comment

Working...
                        X