Pretty sure I have a blown Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty sure I have a blown Amp

Only the rear speakers of my 86 Crown Vic work (has been that way since I bought it 12 years ago), but I’m finally getting around to fixing a bunch of small issues with the car.

It has the premium sound system with the “football” style amp (aluminum cover with a pile of air flow holes in it) and six speakers. None of the front speakers work (dash, or door). Obviously the amp is getting power and from what I understand these amps are two channel amps (one front, one back I assume). So, I think I have a blown channel.

Any thoughts?

I am aware these systems are not the best, but I do not want to rip out the stock system and replace it with aftermarket. I’d just be buying a new amp. I do have all the parts for a 88+ model JBL system (including a trunk mounted sub), but I’m really just looking to fix the stock system, as I like keeping things as original as possible.
    sigpic

yup, your football has suffered deflate-gate. Any football amp will sub for this from the early 80s onward. Later ones are 4 channel, but the pinout is the same so if you plug one of those in, it will simply not make use of the other two channels. It will just have some extra wires in the connector that won't go anywhere in your car.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So.... a forum member sold me a NOS amp, which hooked up and fit just fine. However, the front speakers are still not working (dash or door). I suppose it could be another blown amp, but I doubt two would have the exact same problem. Maybe the head unit is pooched? Any ideas?
      sigpic

Comment

See if you have power and ground back there. I think that one grounds through the mount, so make sure that is clean. Should be hot on the yellow/black all the time and I think the orange/light blue with the key and radio on.

white/red, light green, and black/white are the audio signal in. Pretty sure a speaker connected across those should make sound if there is signal getting in. Not sure which combo is right though.

orange/light green and light/blue white is left output
        white/light green and dark green / orange is right output

a AA battery across those should make a clicking sound in the speakers
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I had amp problems a few years ago. I bought an amp bypass harness from Sonic when I changed the stereo and speakers. I am happy without the factory amp.

Comment

Working...
          X