Single din stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single din stuck

Are there some tips or tricks for getting them out? Mines locked in pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LE SOLD

1972 Ford F100 Custom - 5.9 - Stock

2011 Ford Fusion SE - 2.5 - Stock

2018 Toyota Highlander XLE

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
    Are there some tips or tricks for getting them out? Mines locked in pretty good.

I was able to take out the back two screws of the ash tray but the front two are inaccessible. Not sure if that would even help or not.

Comment

It sounds like someone used picks and other objects to try and remove the radio which can bend the tabs not allowing them to release with the proper tools.

I had this happen on my double din 2000 MGM and I had to gain access to the backside of the radio and re bend the clips enough to release them from the back side.

On my car it just took removing the dash bezel with the radio attached, yet I am unsure if you can do this with your car,
      2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

I had the same problem about 6 years ago when I come need the half dead original radio from The Ice Car.
        I seem to remember removing the ash tray not being helpful.
        Since I wasn't trying to preserve my radio I may have broke the face plate to get it out.
        If you needed to replace the heater core there might be access from the firewall side if the dash...

I think part of my issue was that I was pushing the release tools in way too far. Something else that may help is to make sure the radio is pushed in all the way. When the release tools go in, if the radio is far enough out the mount ears will catch on the din cavity side walls.

Edit: I don't recall if there is access to the mount ears from above. Removel of the heat/ac control and the whole piece with the clock and 2 vents will tell you.
        Also +1 on someone probably messed up the mount tabs with wrong tools.
        Last edited by VicCrownVic; 05-21-2018, 07:35 PM.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

My trick was to poke the loops inward when inserting and jack them outward as much as they would suffer to remove the radio. Then I would use a small screwdriver to release the tool from the jacked clips.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

SOmetimes the plastic slider gets stuck. If you can get your hand behind that to give it a little push it should get it moving if thats the case. The Mark VII has given me that trouble before, but you can't get to it. Basically the only thing I can do with that one is push the loops out while pulling and try to wiggle it back and forth to get it to finally let go.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'll give it another go today after work.

Comment

Radio 2 > Salty Dog 0

The clips must be broke or stuck. I push the tools in until I hear the click. Spread 'em gently or as hard as I can and they slip right out when I pull it forward. I've tried a little prying on the sides as I pull but it looks like I'm about to break a the factory faceplate off. Starting to get a little annoying.

Comment

That second and third sentence...
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Radio 3 > salty 0

A little progress though... The right side clips released! I can get that that end free but something must be chingled with the other side.

Last edited by Salty Dog; 05-23-2018, 11:36 AM.

Comment

If you have some really long feeler gauges you may get lucky and slide them in through the slot and past the retaining clip so the clips have nothing to snag on.

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-0-02-1...70_&dpSrc=srch
                      2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

If you can get one side free... press the radio that way to give as much space on the other side as possible while you jack with that side. I've also resorted to using large nails that just fit in the holes to get better leverage on that crap.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Justin > Radio

Thanks fellers. I got it out using pushing it to one side and slipping a butterknife on the other side to push in the clips. Completely destroyed the faceplate on the stereo. Oh well, the cassette player was POPPIN anyways LOL.

The new Kenwood should sound nice with the new speakers I put in.

Comment

Comment

Funny how something so simple can just stump you sometimes.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X