Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If it had a carb I could understand............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it had a carb I could understand............

So yesterday I take a trip out to the east end of Long Island............I stop about 25 miles from NYC to pay a short visit to a friend, then continue on.
    Now it was HOT yesterday.................after spending about 30 minutes jaw-boneing I get back in the car ('86 GM Tudor 5.0) start her up and the following "greets" me........refusal to keep running, very very rough, shit type of smoke coming out of the exhaust.....she keeps dying....I keep starting..........having to stomp the gas to the floor to keep it running.......do this about three times.........thinking shit, I have to get this towed to the shop...........I finally re-start yet again.........and she now remains running..........pull away still a little rough.........but does not die........eventually smooths out.......no additional problems the rest of the HOT day. No problem staying at 60 mph going and coming.
    Now if this had a carb I would say, hmm, it's running way too rich, or the butterfly is staying closed........the other thing I thought........dirt in the gas?? The gas filter does not even have 1000 miles on it.
    Later I filled the tank which was about half full.

Any ideas?..........Would hate to have the same scenario repeated and not get the car running.

what color was the smoke? black sooty crap? white puffy crap?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Sly honestly it looked a little of both, more gray look to the smoke.
      Originally posted by sly View Post
      what color was the smoke? black sooty crap? white puffy crap?

Comment

Sounds like a wanky temperature sensor if I had to guess. They make cold or hot starts really bad, depending which way it fails. There is a coolant temp sensor and an air temp sensor, could be either.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Replaced both about two yrs ago as part of another problem that was not rectified. I guess I will have to see what happens, meaning if the shit happens again, the replace them. But why after stomping the gas did she return to normal?
          Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          Sounds like a wanky temperature sensor if I had to guess. They make cold or hot starts really bad, depending which way it fails. There is a coolant temp sensor and an air temp sensor, could be either.

Comment

LOOSE timing chain? PCV valve filter can build up oil then blow it out even seen it going down the highway even a puff of smoke then ok.
            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

In addition to above, check the vacuum hose to the MAP sensor, might have gotten soft with heat soak and collapsed, especially if it’s the orginal hose.

I’d try to repeat the scenario by doing everything same, except stop at your house (or wherever your tools are). Check the resistance in the ECT sensor and air temp sensor. Check the fuel pressure too, running and off, to verify the fuel pressure regulator was playing nice or that no injector was stuck.
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
              X